Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

First cycle of clomid- very scared- any advice?

52K views 406 replies 22 participants last post by  magicalbabydust 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am new to the site, and it feels rather strange, but very liberating to have the opportunity to talk to people going through the same thing as me.  My husband and I have been TTC for 2 years, and have just been out on chlomid due to "unexplained infertility". My period was very late this month, 36 days, which was torture, and am on day 1 of clomid.  I am very nervous about the side affects, and wondered how others have coped on it?  Are those of you being scanned to check egg production on Nhs, as I was denied this by my consultant.

Any words of wisdom gratefully received x

#52 ·
Sounds like ovulation pain Vadergarth  ^fairydust^

#53 ·
Vadergarth - sounds promising!

Still got a High reading today, still waiting for a Peak.

My scan is tomorrow (CD12), hope it shows something!!

#54 ·
Well, I think I am going to give acupuncture a try, I keep reading great things about it re fertility!

There is a clinic not too far away, they have a guy there who has trained with Zita West!  So at least I know, he knows his stuff re fertility.

Price isn't bad at all - I have emailed the clinic and shall wait for a call back.

£40 - initial consultation
£35 - subsequent sessions

I am sure it will be a good thing for me whatever, positive thinking!!  xx

#55 ·
I go to acupuncture twice a month for fertility, it's amazing, they really know why they are doing, mine also is a zita west accredited clinic- you will love it! Xx

#56 ·
Heavenly: Your poor DH - hope he really does have something planned for Tues!  ;D Hope your scan is worthwhile today. 

I used to go for acupuncture quite regularly and it definitely helped with moving my cycles on and  I usually go to a local chinese clinic near my work for traditional Chinese medicine acupuncture. However, last year I did the 5 elements acupuncture (sticking the needles into key points quickly rather than leaving it in) with someone trained by Gerard Kite (Kite Clinic) it was really expensive  (£160 for the first session and £90 thereafter) the lady was lovely and it was all very calming and I did feel a bit re-energised after it but not significantly so and certainly not as wonderful as the reviews suggested so I was hugely disappointed and I think the lady was also disappointed as nothing seemed to be changing, so I gave up after a very expensive few months...  :(  I haven't been to the Chinese acupuncturist for a couple of months so think I will start again now I am on Clomid as it is very relaxing -  the problem I always find is that it is difficult communicating what you want yet they seem to have no trouble pushing Chinese herbs onto you with are super expensive - I walked out having been convinced to spend £400 on 3 month supply of herbs - needless to say, i don't think they really helped and DH wasn't hugely impressed with the credit card - hmmm. Heavenly/Vagergarth, I have heard of the Zita West Clinic - where are yours based? 

Vadergarth - I agree - cramping around ovulation sounds good - hope you have been making the most of it ;D

Happy Monday!

xx

#57 ·
Hi everyone,

Went for a scan this morning (cycle day 13) and looks like I will be ovulating in the next couple of days. One big problem is I still have movement on four follicles. They said I need another scan on the day I get my LH surge to see what's going on. So frustrating as its a 50/50 chance whether to go ahead. She said if all four grow then I shouldn't have unprotected sex until my next period. If that's the case then that will be the last thing on my mind!!!

Good luck on your scan Heavenly  :)

Milliemoos

#58 ·
Cas11 said:
Heavenly: Your poor DH - hope he really does have something planned for Tues! ;D Hope your scan is worthwhile today.

I haven't been to the Chinese acupuncturist for a couple of months so think I will start again now I am on Clomid as it is very relaxing - the problem I always find is that it is difficult communicating what you want yet they seem to have no trouble pushing Chinese herbs onto you with are super expensive - I walked out having been convinced to spend £400 on 3 month supply of herbs - needless to say, i don't think they really helped and DH wasn't hugely impressed with the credit card - hmmm. Heavenly/Vagergarth, I have heard of the Zita West Clinic - where are yours based?

xx
I sound like a right ogre with my birthday! ;D We usually both take the day off but he hasn't mentioned it this year, so I am assuming he has something planned.....oh well, we shall see! ::) ^bigbad^ ;D

Ian is based at a clinic in Shoreham, near where I live (Worthing) and he trained at the Zita West clinic, very reasonable rates I think, he has left me a message on my mobile to have a chat with him.

#59 ·
Milliemoos said:
Hi everyone,

Went for a scan this morning (cycle day 13) and looks like I will be ovulating in the next couple of days. One big problem is I still have movement on four follicles. They said I need another scan on the day I get my LH surge to see what's going on. So frustrating as its a 50/50 chance whether to go ahead. She said if all four grow then I shouldn't have unprotected sex until my next period. If that's the case then that will be the last thing on my mind!!!

Good luck on your scan Heavenly :)

Milliemoos
Good luck this cycle! ^hugme^

#60 ·
Milliemoos said:
Hi everyone,

Good luck on your scan Heavenly :)

Milliemoos
Sounds like the clomid is working too well... how frustrating. Hope the next scan brings better news.
x

#61 ·
heavenly said:
Cas11 said:
Heavenly: Your poor DH - hope he really does have something planned for Tues! ;D Hope your scan is worthwhile today.

I haven't been to the Chinese acupuncturist for a couple of months so think I will start again now I am on Clomid as it is very relaxing - the problem I always find is that it is difficult communicating what you want yet they seem to have no trouble pushing Chinese herbs onto you with are super expensive - I walked out having been convinced to spend £400 on 3 month supply of herbs - needless to say, i don't think they really helped and DH wasn't hugely impressed with the credit card - hmmm. Heavenly/Vagergarth, I have heard of the Zita West Clinic - where are yours based?

xx
I sound like a right ogre with my birthday! ;D We usually both take the day off but he hasn't mentioned it this year, so I am assuming he has something planned.....oh well, we shall see! ::) ^bigbad^ ;D

Ian is based at a clinic in Shoreham, near where I live (Worthing) and he trained at the Zita West clinic, very reasonable rates I think, he has left me a message on my mobile to have a chat with him.
Thanks Heavenly - your guys rates do sound good. I'm in London so I'll do a bit more research and see whether I can find someone affiliated to Zita West...

Silence from your DH sounds positive! Wishing you a great day tomorrow.

x

#62 ·
Cas11 said:
heavenly said:
Cas11 said:

xx

Thanks Heavenly - your guys rates do sound good. I'm in London so I'll do a bit more research and see whether I can find someone affiliated to Zita West...

Silence from your DH sounds positive! Wishing you a great day tomorrow.

x
Here is a link for you.

http://www.zitawest.com/national-network-of-affiliated-acupuncturists/what-is-the-affiliated-acupuncturist-network/the-zita-west-affiliate-national-network/

I do like the look of the Zita West clinic for IVF/ICSI, but I don't think they do anonymous DE there, have to investigate more.

#63 ·
Thank you! I'll have a look at that.  What's DE by the way?

#64 ·
Cas11 said:
Thank you! I'll have a look at that. What's DE by the way?
Donated eggs. At my age, there is a 5% chance with using my own eggs, it goes up to around 30-40% with donated eggs, dependant on clinic, either a known donor or anonymous. We would be going with anonymous.

But I shall cross that bridge when I come to it!!

Anyhoo, some good news. Had the scan done, I am so green with all this, had no idea it would be an internal one. :eek: There was a tv screen and he showed me my uterus then my left ovary! My OH came round to have a peek as well.

He said he was really pleased, there was a follicle which was at least 18mm, which is good, he said I didn't need another scan this cycle and that I don't need to have one next cycle. He is really pleased the Clomid is working and that he doesn't have to increase the dose. He was also really pleased and quite surprised I had had no side effects.

He told me other stuff but he is putting it all in a letter...for a thicko like me. ;D We should abstain from sex for the next 24-48 hours, then continue. I told the nurse it's my birthday tomorrow, that's a shame, and OH said, that's ok, would have been different if it had been his! ;D

Anyway, at least the Clomid is working, I am 46 tomorrow and knowing my insides still work a little has really cheered me up!

#65 ·
heavenly said:
Cas11 said:
Donated eggs. At my age, there is a 5% chance with using my own eggs, it goes up to around 30-40% with donated eggs, dependant on clinic, either a known donor or anonymous. We would be going with anonymous.

Anyhoo, some good news. Had the scan done, I am so green with all this, had no idea it would be an internal one. :eek: There was a tv screen and he showed me my uterus then my left ovary! My OH came round to have a peek as well.

He said he was really pleased, there was a follicle which was at least 18mm, which is good, he said I didn't need another scan this cycle and that I don't need to have one next cycle. He is really pleased the Clomid is working and that he doesn't have to increase the dose. He was also really pleased and quite surprised I had had no side effects.

He told me other stuff but he is putting it all in a letter...for a thicko like me. ;D We should abstain from sex for the next 24-48 hours, then continue. I told the nurse it's my birthday tomorrow, that's a shame, and OH said, that's ok, would have been different if it had been his! ;D

Anyway, at least the Clomid is working, I am 46 tomorrow and knowing my insides still work a little has really cheered me up!
That's wonderful news heavenly! ^fairydust^

#66 ·
Hi, well, had 2 days of peak, now on medium on clear blue, so fingers crossed, and yes we have been at it like rabbits so have covered all bases this month. Felt pain on my left side around ovulation, which is a hummer as this is my sluggish tube(if that's what t was!?), but am staying positive. My clinic is in hale, Cheshire, she is fab, £45 each time, but well worth it. How are we all feeling? Wish I knew what was going on I there, but think we might go private if no joy after 3 months. Xxxx

#67 ·
Fingers and toes crossed for you Vadergarth  :)

afm - waiting to see what my pee stick tells me tomorrow morning.....

Heavenly - just noticed that you didn't realise you were getting an internal ultrasound. Must admit the dildocam was a bit of a surprise for me the first time and had to stifle a few laughs when she rolled a condom down it!!  ^roflmao^

#68 ·
Milliemoos said:
Fingers and toes crossed for you Vadergarth :)

Heavenly - just noticed that you didn't realise you were getting an internal ultrasound. Must admit the dildocam was a bit of a surprise for me the first time and had to stifle a few laughs when she rolled a condom down it!! ^roflmao^
I just went with the flow. ^roflmao^

Well, my OH has not disappointed me on my birthday! He told me we both have 2 days off and we are leaving soon, don't know where but will be staying somewhere tonight, how exciting! ;D And I got a Peak this morning!! ;D But my FS said no sex until tomorrow, so the sperm is better quality. Feels a bit weird not having sex when I see a peak but shall put trust in my FS. So, some very good signs and they appeared around my birthday, some good news for a change!!

Hope you girls are all ok and good luck to us all with this cycle! xx

#69 ·
Happy Birthday heavenly  ^birthday^

#70 ·
Happy birthday too! Dildocam! That really made me chuckle, the joys of TTC eh, so glamorous. Hope u all ok x

#71 ·
Hi Vadergarth,

I am doing OK thanks, just waiting for that LH surge....

How are things with you? I guess you are on your 2WW now? Got everything crossed for you! xx

#72 ·
heavenly said:
Cas11 said:

Thanks for the explanation - sounds like the clomid is doing its job though so that's great news. Hope you had fun on your birthday even if no BD was involved!

xx

#73 ·
heavenly said:
Milliemoos said:
Fingers and toes crossed for you Vadergarth :)

Heavenly - just noticed that you didn't realise you were getting an internal ultrasound. Must admit the dildocam was a bit of a surprise for me the first time and had to stifle a few laughs when she rolled a condom down it!! ^roflmao^
I just went with the flow. ^roflmao^

Well, my OH has not disappointed me on my birthday! He told me we both have 2 days off and we are leaving soon, don't know where but will be staying somewhere tonight, how exciting! ;D And I got a Peak this morning!! ;D But my FS said no sex until tomorrow, so the sperm is better quality. Feels a bit weird not having sex when I see a peak but shall put trust in my FS. So, some very good signs and they appeared around my birthday, some good news for a change!!

Hope you girls are all ok and good luck to us all with this cycle! xx
ha ha - made me chuckle thinking about you girls when the dildo cam came my way yesterday... I also brought my preseed along so he didn't use normal lubricant which is anti-sperm with the words "gotta give the blighters the best chance possible". Dr must have thought I was a bit of a nutter.

I had my scan yesterday evening CD12 - two follies: one on the right was 12 mm and one on the left was 19mm. Lining was 12mm so all good to go no need to increase the dose and he doesn't want to see me again until I've finished my 6 month course. Hopefully will ovulate soon - just waiting for the peak.

Best of luck on your tww Vadergarth and Milliemoos - crossed fingers for your LH surge soon...

xx

#74 ·
Cas11 - hee hee! (re: pre-seed) good for you! Made me laugh ;D

I am still waiting for my LH surge. Better be tomorrow otherwise  ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^

x

#75 ·
Hi, yep the joys of the 2ww, feeling quite positive actually, which is unlike me! I may have to skip a month of chlomid next month though, as am taking school trip away to Germany mid cycle-typical! How we all doing? Any peaks yet? Xxx

#76 ·
Hopefully you'll be skipping the Clomid next month for a different reason Vadergarth x

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.