Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

How to rule out endometriosis?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  WanttobeMummy 
#1 ·
Dear ladies,
I TTC since 5 years and a possibility of endometriosis has never been discussed with any doctors. I have actually thought that this is something one can see at US but reading that this is not the case and can happen without symptoms.

I told my gynecologist that I have pains sometimes during intercourse - he never had any interest in that. I also have some dull pain on the right side and he confirmed that it was not gynecological. Will talk to a GP about it in May.

How was your diagnosis made? Do I need to insist on laparoscopy or are there other ways to rule endo out?

Thank you,
WTBM

#2 ·
The only way to confirm Endo is via a laparoscopy: sometimes it can be seem on an MRI, but not always. Symptoms vary and aren't often reflective of the extent or location of endo. If you have a look at the Endometriosis UK website there is a diagnostic checklist. Sometimes people have symptoms without even realising they are endo symptoms.

With regards to pain during sex it could be caused by a follicular cyst if it's intermittent.

Good luck xxx 

#3 ·
Thanks Cloudy,
I am still wondering if diagnostic laparoscopy is what I should push for? Is this important to identify or rule out endometriosis? Or the treatments are still the same and interest is rather academical? I do not have symptoms.
Thanks!
WTBM

#4 ·
Hi,
tbh I would seriously consider before getting a lap if you are asymptomatic, especially if doing de treatmemt. The lap itself is not risk free, and while if they do find and laser / surgically remove,  there is a risk of problems with adhesions and scarring.

with own egg tx success rates are slightly lower in endo patients compared with eg tubal problems due to changes in the egg. You are using de, and have had successful implantation in the past.

if you do have endo, it should settle down once your hormones settle in a few years anyway.

What point in your cycle is the right sided pain? If it is middle of cycle it could be linked to ovulation pain.

There is some evidence that chances of natural conception are increased in the 6 months after surgery for endo ( there is no improvement with medical treatment ) but it is not known if this applies to de ivf treatment.

good luck

x x

#5 ·
Hi Mierran,
I asked dr Gorgy in London what he thinks and his opinion was very similar to yours. He said that if I new I had endo, he would put me on down regulation before DE cycle. But I am already on the pill to be synchronized with donor, which is a light down regulation.
He did not recommend to do lap.
Thanks!
WTBM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.