Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Summer Starbursts - August/September 2011 Cycle Buddies - Part 1

178K views 3K replies 201 participants last post by  Sharry 
#1 ·
Hey girls, i'm new to the whole forum thing and my husband said that it's a good way to share advice and experiences, so here i am!

We have just started our 1st cycle of IVF after a few years of tests to find out that i have PCOS and my hubby has a low sperm count. I also have a heart shaped uterus, although we have been told it will have no affect on IVF.

So far i have been on the pill and am now sniffing the suprecur. our first scan and tuition for menopur os next wednesday. Feeling very down and can't stop crying lately. Not having a good time with the suprecur and was after advice or at least to feel that i am not alone. My husband is doing the best he can, but he just has no idea how i am feeling.

Please help!
Karen x

#2 ·
Hi Karen,

Im also new to this forum.  Searched just starting IVF and your email popped up!

I have been injecting with Suprecur since last weds and have a scan booked for tues 12th Oct.  I havent had any symptoms other than feeling a bit moody at times.

I also have PCOS. However have been told its mild and do not have the syndrome part - but its all very confusing as you may already know. Me and my husband have been trying for baby for 3 and half years.

Hope your ok and I look forward to your reply Karen.

C
X

#3 ·
hi carleyl

so we are going through everything at the same time! strange how everyone is taking different meds in different ways! mind you i don't think i could handle having two lots of injections, so in a way i'm glad i'm sniffing, but feel sorry for you having to inject. how are you finding it? i'm sooooo nervous of injecting the menopur! do you inject yourself or have somone else doing it for you?

my husband and i have been trying for a baby since we had a miscarrage 3 and a half years ago. the waiting and tests have been tough on us both but fingers crossed all will go well for us now.

good luck for your scan tuesday and i hope it all goes well for you.

thanks for your message xxx

#4 ·
Hi Karen,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes we are have also had our fair share of tests etc. I have tried Clomid and had 3 goes of IUI both unsuccessful! Fingers crossed IVF works for us!

Regarding Menopur, i think you will have to inject it yourself. To be honest the injections become part of your daily routine after a while. Its hard at first, but just keep thinking why your doing it!  I've got my IVF drugs in the fridge as they have to cold. 

What hospital are you under?  Were under St Barts in London.

When is your next appointment?

Let me know how it goes for you wont you hun, keep in touch.

Carley
x

#5 ·
Hi Karen,
Don't worry; the injecting's not half so bad as it sounds. The injecting needle is really clever, and I found it really helped giving the preparation of the needle to my husband to do. It meant I didn't have to do anything except press the button and my husband felt able to do something to help. Good luck with your IVF!
chocolatefudge x

#6 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks for the positive reply's it really does help. I've got my first scan next wednesday and they are going to shop us how to do the injections. We are under Queen Mary's which I have to say have had nothing but great nurses and Dr's who are very friendly.

Chocolatefudge, when you say you found the injections really clever, do you mean you had the auto injector thingy? I haven't got one with the rest of my drugs, do they give it to you at your first appointment? Or do you have to ask for it? Good idea to probably do it myself and get dh to prepare everything for me.

Defiantly thinking about why I'm doing all this when I get that horrible taste of Suprecur at the back of my throat  :p 

Fingers crossed for all of us xxx

#8 ·
Hi,

I am also starting my 1st cycle of IVF, its great to read your posts. I should start my 1s meads on Thursday. Originally I was suppose to sniff but was told today they had a problem and I will be using the injections and am really not looking forward to it. My delivery is due on Tuesday.

I also have PCOS and have been through several unresponded cycles of clomid and had drilling done at the beginning of the year. I'm with Guys and St. Thomas's.

Hope all goes to plan for the both of you, keep me posted :)

#9 ·
Hi,

Will ask about the auto-injector when I go in on Wednesday. Suppose I don't really mind if I have it or not, it all still needs to go in. Was watching the video on how to inject on the Menopur website (www.menopur.co.uk) and found it very useful if anyone wants to have a look.

Didn't realise how common PCOS was until I started looking it up. It's definatly good to talk to other with it. Can I ask mrs, whats drilling? Sounds awful :( Hope your OK after having it whatever it is.

Definatly looking forward to my app Wednesday. Can't believe how real it is! Was reading a diary with my dh last night and we both said that in a few weeks we will be going in for ec!! Although we have waited almost 4 years, it's gone by soooo quick!

Great chatting to you guys, please keep going xxx

#10 ·
Good Luck Karen for Weds, let us know how things go at your appointment. ;)

Dont worry the injections are daunting at first, but they soon become easier and your think what was all the worrying about! ha x

Hello MRS: It does seem to me that PCOS is very common. Its nice to know you can talk to other people who suffer with the same condition isn it? Ive heard that "drilling" is painful. Did you have both ovaries drilled or just one? Has it helped ease your symptons at all? Whats Guys and St Thomas Hospital like? Im under St Barts.

Anyway good luck ladies and let me know how you get on!

Thanks

C
x

**This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.uk or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites**

#11 ·
Hi, I'm glad I have finally got talking to others that understand how I feel. So please keep this going.

Laparoscopic ovarian drilling is the correct term, it sound worse than it is. They put you to sleep and basically make small incisions into your ovaries. Its suppose to help trigger ovulation. It took me about a week to recover but I'm fine now. I had it done on both my ovaries. I guess it did help slightly as I did see a few natural cycles. Normally I only see my period 1-2 times a year.

Everyone as guys have been great. Very helpful so far. I just can't wait to start the actual process, it just all seems so long. I have been told because of my age (26) I will only be allowed to have 1 embryo put back. Do either of you know how many you are aiming to have put back.

Carley, I know of someone that had treatment at Bart's and it was successful 1st time. I really hope the same happens for you.

My treatment is being funded by the NHS, what about you 2?

xx

#12 ·
Hi,

It is great talking to other and even better that we are having out treatments at the same time!

Thanks for explaining the terminology. I get so confused sometimes when the Dr's use all these long words! Don't they know we have no clue what they are going on about!?  ^idiot^ Any way, I had a Laperoscopy and a Histeroscopy (incision was just above pelvic bone and the other went up!) but they only went in for a look as I have a slightly heart shaped uterus. Got told though that it shouldn't affect treatment which is good. Hurt like hell though when I woke up and that took me a week to recover as well.

I don't see my period that often either. Before I started all the meds I last had one 19 months ago. Def felt bloated and ready for one!

I have been told that (also because of my age, 24) that they will only put back one or two depending on how good they are. They also said that if I had quite a few eggs and they couldn't decide which ones to put back, then they will leave them to the blastocyst stage. From what I've read, it seems to be common practice to put a maximum of two back in as the risk of multiple births are more common. Felt like saying to the nurse that I want all of them put back to give me more of a chance!!

My treatment is also funded by the NHS.

Whoelse has got an appointment coming up then? It's all getting very close for us  :)

xxx

#13 ·
Hey ladies,

Ive been told Im allowed to have 2 embryos put back, think it might have to do with age, Im 31, its also due to the area you live in apparantely!! This is what I was told at the information day at St Barts. My treatment is also funded by NHS. We get 3 goes at IVF.

They keep banging on about a higher risk twins etc, but thats fine with me! (She says!) ha x

I have PCOS however I have periods every month.  Ive had tests done and Im not ovulating every month. The doctors seem to think I have the cysts but not the syndrome. Also they can only see cysts in one of my ovaries. All very confusing!!

Mrs: Oh thats good to know, like to hear of success stories!!

You think your the only one going through this, but its forums like this one that makes it easier and helpful to meet people in the same situation as you. I think its great!

Keep in touch!

C
x

#14 ·
Hi all,

Feeling a bit all over the place again today. Woke up early to have my sniff then went back to bed and caught up on some much needed sleep. Wish I could just time travel past the 2ww and find out whats going to happen. Dh seems to be taking it all in his stride but I just can't seem to get it out my head. Going to try and keep busy and do some more cleaning. It seems to be the only thing at the moment that I can really get stuck in to.

xxx

#15 ·
Hi all,

Karen I know exactly how you feel. I just wish it could all go faster. I was told back in June that they will fund my ivf and I'm still waiting for it all to actually start. I need to keep my mind busy but its all I can think about.

Carley, do you live in London/ Your so lucky to have 3 attempts funded. My PCT will fund one ivf cycle and one frozen cycle.

#17 ·
Hi,

Yes I live in Essex, but come under London. As I said it all depends on where you live as to what treatment and how much you receive! It sillly really! I suppose it all comes under how much funding is available. I really dont get it.

Karen: I understand how you feel, its a waiting game and you just have to keep thinking postive thoughts at the end of the day. Dont you have an appointment this weds? Hope all goes well for you.

Mrs: Where do you live and having treatment?

C
x

#18 ·
Hi,

Definatly thinking a bit more posative today and I've got to say, cleaning is the way forward!!!  ^idiot^

Yes my appointment is Wednesday, will write and let you know how I get on.

Was reading about different foods and things that can help during treatment and pineapple juice and brazil nuts seem to be coming up a lot. What do you guys think about it all? Think I'm going to ask when I go to the clinic Wednesday. Will let you know what I get told.

xxx

#19 ·
Hi,

I got the delivery with my medicine today. Carly how are you finding the injections?

Good luck for tomorrow Karen, let us know how you get on.

x x

#20 ·
Hi All,

Karen: Good luck with your appointment today hun! Let us know how it goes x

Mrs: Injections are going ok thanks. Well apart from having 2 blunt ones in a row!! Feel a bit like a pin cushion at the moment!

When have you got to start taking your meds?

C
x

#21 ·
Hi  Karen

starting the Down regulation on 16th october, scared & excited at the same time.
we will have icsi at guy's ACU. it's really strange but although we haven't even started the actual treatment I am worried about the way I will handle the wait & the result.so I can imagine that most of us do get quite emotional during this rollercoaster ride.
It would be lovely to share this experience with other ladies.

good luck to everyone:)

xx

#22 ·
Hi All,

So I had my scan this morning and apart from seeing the cysts, all was OK and the nurse gave me my first injection. Didn't need to worry about the auto injector as she gave me that when there. Apparently they don't like to put it in the box with the meds incase people decide to start on their own!

Anyway, I've got to say, I was being really silly to worry about the injections at all because they are soo easy! Didn't really feel it go in at all, the only thing I didn't like, was that the auto injetor made a bit of a noise and made me jump a bit! Dh is going to do the injections for me and give me a count down to stop me from jumping.

Was told that my BMI is 29.1 which is a bit of a worry  :-\ I was 30.2 then managed to get it down to 28.6 and now I've gone back up again. Still OK for now, but not allowed to go above 30 again or we will have to cancel the cycle. Bit peeved off about that, but I blame the drugs so far!

I asked the nurse about the different types of food to have or not to have. She said you only need to worry about having a high protien diet (brazil nuts and pineapple juice) if hyper stimulation occurs and to just stick to a normal healthy balanced diet.

I've stopped with all caffine and am trying to keep to a reasonable diet. Just hate it at work when the girls pull out the chocy bics!

Hi Baboushka24, it's nice to have you join us. Definatly been on an emotional rollercoaster, so can sympathise with you there.

^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^ for all of us xxx

#23 ·
Hi All,

Carley: I'm starting tomorrow (Thursday). We have an appointment in the morning where the nurse will show me how to use. What do you mean by you had 2 blunt ones?

Baboushka: Welcome, I'm at the same clinic as you so might see you there  :)

Karen: I'm glad everything went ok. Hope it all stays pain free. Each clinic must be different because I have already received the injector.
Wow you have been really good with your eating, I have just been eating as normal. What sorts of food should I be keeping away from?

Baby dust to all x x

#25 ·
Hi,

Mrs: Good luck with your appointment today. Do let us know how you get on x

I had to 2 blunt needles, I just changed them on the Syringe, at least I know what to look out for now! They just wouldnt pierce the skin! Ouch x

Karen, glad you app went well yesterday.  Good luck with all injections. Its good your DH is involved and setting up your injections, thats the same as us! Why do they keep weighing you. I was weighed on my referal day and that was it, how strange, do you think its a factor in the treatment and you have a higher chance of pregnancy if your BMI is below 30?

C
x

#26 ·
Hi all,

So dh gave me injection at 8pm and we were both shaking like a leaf! Went well, although he moved a bit when it was still in my leg so he could look at the little window and when he pulled it out i bled quite a bit. Think he's going to sit on the floor next time to be eye level. Feel so much better about it again and really don't know why I was so nervous. Didn't really feel it go in until he moved a bit!

I think they keep weighing me because of the PCOS. Also I have been told that success rates go down the heavier you are and they wont sedate you if too heavy. Don't think they really take into account my height though as I'm 5 foot 8 inch, which I think is quite tall. Defiantly don't think I look heavy. Quite big busted so I don't think that helps either!

xxx

I don't like the sound of the blunt needles! How can you tell? Or is it just a matter of looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.