Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

HSG tips

830 views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  littleblackdress 
#1 ·
Hello Ladies, ^wave^

I'm waiting for AF to arrive so i can book a HSG. I wondered if you could tell me what to expect from it.

I've got pelvic adhesions so there's a 99% chance that my tubes are going to be welded down    anyway. Will this make it more painfull as the dye won't go through?
  Do they sedate you or give you painkillers?
  Will I be able to drive home OK afterwards?
  Will it be OK if I go on my own?
  Does it give you an infection and do they always give you antibiotics just incase?
  I know this sounds a bit 'drama queen', but is there anything that can go wrong?

TMI coming up...........Should I expect a tide of dye to gush out when i stand up  ;D

Thanks,

Hetty xxxx

^fairydust^  for all ffs

See less See more
#2 ·
I had one about 5 years ago, uncomfortable rather than painful but maybe with adheisons it might be different. I'd take some painkillers an hour beforehand which should help.

Normally they don't give you anything while it's done, the ballon thing was the worst bit & the dye going in made me really hot briefly. The actual contrast (dye) they put in is colourless to the human eye so although you'll need a pad afterwards it won't stain anything. I drove home afterwards as I was on my own but again if you have adheisons it may be as well to take someone with you who can drive if needed.

Oh & no anti b's afterwards either, no infection for me although i guess there is a slight risk.

#4 ·
The blow a balloon to fit around your cervix otherwise the catheter slides out when the dye goes in  :)

That is the only bit that hurt me actually, I'd advise taking some ibuprofen or painkillers about an hour before you go

xxx

#5 ·
I have had 2 hsgs one hurt the other didnt (the one that hurt showed some kind of blockage in one tube),  I was told it hurt more if your tubes were blocked (sorry). If there is likely to be a problem with this for you I would suggest someone else drives you home and going to bed with a hot water bottle and paracetamol. (For the second one I went straight back to work no problems).

It CAN give you an infection which is why the antibs are given though no way is this a certainty....! 

Hope it goes ok for you.

#6 ·
Mine was about 10 years ago at Guys.

I had antibiotics to take, starting the day before.

For pain relieve i had a pessary (is that the right word TMI pellet up the bum, i had to use one the morning of the procedure then they gave me another to put in when i arrived.

THe procedure was uncomfortable rather than painful. My tubes were clear but,as it was discovered some years later i did have a lot of adhesions. The worst bit for me was just how many people were there. As Guys is a training hospital and it involves radiography i had a total of 8 medical staff in with me ;D

The nurse kindly moved the monitor round so i could watch the dye going through which helped take my mind of the whole thing.

Hope it goes well

#7 ·
I had my HSG last mth.

There was a nurse that looked after me and was talking to me all the time while setting up and during, which was great  :)
I took a couple of painkillers an hour before having it done and it was weird when they set the tube in place, a bit like a smear. The dye going in was OK up until the end when it was uncomfortable, like a pressure build up. Both my tubes are fine but one was a little slower to get thro, so perhaps this was the build up  :-\
The consultant afterwards showed me on the screen step by step of the pics he took and as I was sat up talking to him it felt like I was wetting myself just a tiny little bit  ;D I was told to look out for sign of poss infection in the following few days and to call my own GP to explain had HSG for anti-b's

I hope it all goes well hun Xxx

#8 ·
Thanks for hints ladies.

OMG Fairy_wishes, I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience. Thanks for telling me though. I always think it's better to be prepared for the worst then anything better is a bonus.

I'll ask DH to have the day off so he can come with me just incase.

Just out of interest what did you wear for the HSG. I know that sounds like an odd question, but in the letter I got it said 'You might like to bring your own gown to wear' Does it mean nightie????? I suprisingly don't own any hospital gowns  ^shake^

#9 ·
I had one last sept and was petrified.  I was told to take brufen and paracetamol before (I even set my alarm to take on time) and then I took 10 mgs of Valium that my GP gave me to relax me (as I have traumatic embryo transfer with IVF's). I changed into a gown and I was crying in the room, the Dr was so lovely, she reassured me, there were 2-3 other women there (nurses, readiographers etc) all lovely and supportive.  It wasn't painful, I had scarring and thin endometrium and needed surgery to sort the scarring/adhesions and Asherman's syndrome out afterwards.
They also have sanitary pads if you need. 

It was much worse in my head before hand, I think it helps if you tell the staff how worried you are.  Hope it goes well
I had mine done by Professor Anne Hemmingway at the Princess Grace Hospital in London and would highly recommend them- ^idiot^ if you know what I mean
L x

#10 ·
As I guess you can see from the responses they are all different.

I too experienced pain like nothing I have ever felt before (and I am aware of having a higher than normal pain threshold from past incidents).  I didn't have a total blockage, the dye did come through, but as I got my BFP just two months later, I'm pretty sure they were blocked before the dye went in.

Definately take someone with you, and definately take painkillers, neither will do any harm if you are OK, but both will be essential if you are like me and Fairy-Wishes.

Hope you're one of the lucky ones.

Jane
xx

#11 ·
BTW - I also gave birth without pain relief, so I'm pretty sure I'm good at handling pain!  ;)

Jane
x

#13 ·
Hi hetty,

I had my HSG last Friday, so it;s very fresh in my mind.  I had been warned of the possible pain, the gowns, to take a book in case you had to wait etc.  
First  up,  I took 2 Kapake (Codeine and paracetamol) 45 mins before the appointment (I went on my own as well)
The gown I was given to wear was like a green sack with holes cut for the arms and head . A good look.  
There were 5 people in the room, 2 radiologists, the nicest nurse ever, a gynae SHO and a registrar who made the call.
I didn't experience any of the intense pain that some of the others have experienced, but it is uncomfortable. I am not sure whether it is when the balloon is inflated or the dye injected, but there is an intense cramp-like pain. I jumped!!! But that was over in a split second and it was fine after that.
It turns out I have no blockages and was able to see on the screen for myself.
The sanitary towel I was given was like a brick!!!! So big!!!. I haven't seen one that big in years  ;D But there was no gush, just the "unclean" feeling iykwim.
Afterwards, there were slight AF-like cramps, so I went shopping!! (Had to get a Mothers Day pressie). When I got home I snuggled down on the sofa with a hot water bottle and a creme egg!!

I had been warned about pain a few hours afterwards, as one girl I know was told her tubes were fine, but had to go back as she was in agony and the tubes were blocked.

My advice is try not to panic as you will tense the muscles up, making it more difficult to insert the speculum and dye. Try deep breathing to relax yourself. It is all over so quickly, so don't fret about it  ^hugme^

I hope you get positive results.  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ And they say you are more fertile after an HSG, cos it clears out the tubes  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Weeza xx

#14 ·
It certainly was worse than labour for me Fairy.  So you are not alone.

Jane
xx

#15 ·
To be honest, I thought I was a wimp too until I went through labour and an ectopic pregnancy.  I think it all depends on what's in there.

Given that I got my BFP so soon after, I'd go through it all again for another result like that though.

:)

#16 ·
I too was like Fairy and Jane in that I found the HSG very painful, even to the point that I had to get them to stop the proceedure. I nearly passed out and was sobbing with the pain as you have to stay VERY still while they do it.

It appears I have at least one blocked tube but both may have been blocked and the dye had pushed the blockage through. Also, when the catheter was inserted, it fell out again and so had to be reinserted. This was uncomfortable as my cervix was trying to 'run away' from the doc!!  ;D ;D I even upset the Doc doing the proceedure as I got so upset, the sonographer had to tell them to stop because all I was doing was moaning 'please stop, please stop', with the tears rolling down my face! The nurse wouldn't let me go for a good while afterwards as I had had the worst reaction to it she had seen.

BUT, on the plus side, I got my ^BFP^ on the next cycle so it must have done something!!  ;D ;D

I would say have someone with you, even if it's just for moral support. Get some goodies for afterwards in case you're feeling a bit sorry for yourself and plenty of painkillers, just in case. Also, don't do what I did - I wore a thong on that day!!  ;D ;D Gawd knows why!!  ;D ;D Not good for holding a thick sani pad in place at all!!  ;D ;D ;D

Jane - Was worse than labour for me too!! I gave birth with only G&A but the worst part for me was not being able to move during it!!

Hopefully yours will be a breeze as a lot of people don't have any problems with it. I would do it again if I need to if it means I get a ^BFP^

Mandy xx ^kitty^

#17 ·
JaneNewcastle and Fairy_wishes  ^hugme^ sounds like you had really bad experiences.

I really hope you get your results soon Fairy_wishes and that they are  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

weeza82 thanks for all the info i'm really pleased your results were  ^reiki^
I've got one strong painkiller left from when i was poorly ages ago. i've been saving it for a painfull experience so it might be a good time to pop it. I'll stock up on creme eggs as well as they seem to a very important part of the recovery process  ;D

By the way I love your dog!! Is it a labrodeer?? ^rudolph^

Sounds like it gives your tubes a spring clean as well so it might be worth some BMS afterwards, you never know.  X

#19 ·
Sorry Mandy forgot to say thank you for your tips too.

Fortunately I stopped wearing thongs a couple of years ago  ;D

I'm so pleased you got a BFP after your HSG.

Fairy_wishes
I felt like I was losing the plot big time a couple of weeks ago as well, but I feel better now.
I hope your rabbits give you a much deserved  ^hugme^ My fur baby is a dog and I love her sooooo much. She gives me so much pleasure.

^bunny^ ^bunny^  XXXXXX

#20 ·
Hey, sorry if I offended anyone with my experience of the HSG. I understand it is never the same for any 2 people and I realise I was very lucky.  I only wanted to reassure Hetty that it's not all horror stories for everyone.

I thought it was only myth about the BFPs afterwards!!! Congratulations everyone!!!

Hetty,  ^roflmao^ labrodeer!!!!! She is my baby too !!!! I sincerely hope it goes well for you.  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

#21 ·
I'd wake your bunny up to give her mummy a much needed cuddle.

I know exactly what you mean about having too much time to think.

I changed my job recently to really concentrate on getting pregnant. My old job was stressful, unpredictable hours, long journeys, long hours etc etc. Anyway I decided I ought to give this everything I've got so now I've got more spare time, but no lovely work colleagues to take my mind off babies and although I'm less stressed and have time for appointments at the hospital I really miss the distraction of my old busy job.

My DH is also NEVER in as he is a workaholic!!

You will feel better in a couple of weeks. It's like a dark cloud that is sometimes over you, but then it will leave and you'll be able to think about normal things again. xxx

#22 ·
weeza82

I said to DH last night. 'I don't know if we'll love a baby anymore than we love our fur baby'
She had been poorly and I'd just got back from the vets. I wrapped her up in a blanket and laid on the floor with her. She really is my little girl  ;D

PS I'm going to buy her some interesting headwear!

FW. I'm sure nursing is very stressful so I can understand why you'd want to change jobs. I worked for a big company with quite abit of responsibility, but I switched to a little company doing data inputting/general office jobs. I obviously took a decrease in wages, but DH is coping with his extra responsibilities!! I just thought it's now or never and something has to change because I wasn't giving ttc 100% of my energy which I am now. I have Crohns disease which is made worse by stress and I was worried I might break myself if I didn't change!! I do have bad days though where I miss my old job, but it will worth it in the end!  ^reiki^

#23 ·
Thanks FW it's kind of you to say I was brave.

I understand why you wouldn't want to give up nursing. You have worked hard to get where you are and it sounds like it would be very difficult to give up.

Try to really look after yourself in your free time, maybe DH could spoil you? You sound like you deserve it. This infertility thing is bl**dy rubbish!

I've spent alot of time on ff looking at peoples postings from ages ago and then seeing how they've got on since. So so many of them have had knock backs, BFN after BFN, but they kept at it and a lot of them have a happy ending. I take a lot of comfort from their determination and strength and I really believe it will work for us one day.  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Wishing you lots of  ^afro^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^

#24 ·
Hello

Hetty thought i'd come find you in here  :)

Wish i had found this before i went for my hsg as i would have know what to expect.  Had mine a couple of years ago now no bfp's for me afterwards either.  Definately recommend taking someone with you,  Found the procedure uncomfortable rather than painful.  The nurse was lovely and explained everything really well, afterwards she showed me the results and fortunately no blockages.  I thought i was fine and the nurse asked me to go to the toilet, i remember sitting down and going hot then the next i was laid on the floor with people running round me, gown wide open with my bum hanging out.  Yes i had fainted and hit my head as i went down.  Felt so silly, gave the poor nurse a fright.  Fainting seems to follow me around at the moment. 

let me know when yours is  ^hugme^

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.