* Author Topic: Twins and FET  (Read 1211 times)

0 Members

Offline still smiling

• Am i on beadles about!?
modify
Twins and FET
« on: 3/04/09, 01:17 »
Hi Everyone,

Though i'm aware of a few people on here who have twins from FET am i being naive in thinking its not really a risk?
Have any of you with twins from FET not had blasts transferred as seems to be the case in the scenarios i've come across.
Please don't be offended,i'm not actively trying to avoid twins but just not trying to get them either if that makes sense?Its just occurred to me that i have'nt given this prospect the thought i had on the fresh cycle.
I suppose i'm thinking along the lines of if 2 fresh embryos did'nt make it 2 frosties definitely won't!!

Need to decide what route to take and your experiences seem to hold more value than clinic stats!

Thanks in advance :)

Offline Witters

• Gold Member
modify
Re: Twins and FET
« Reply #1 on: 3/04/09, 08:14 »
Hey!

I developed severe OHSS during my fresh IVF, so didn't get to experience a fresh transfer.  My eggs were very poor quality, leaving me with only 3 embryo's out of 25 eggs.  They were below the standard freezing quality but after much persuasion, we had them frozen on day 3.  There were two 4 cells and one 8 cell, all of which were very fragmented.  We were warned throughout treatment not to get our hopes up as the most likely won't even survive the thaw, let alone create healthy children, but we stayed strong and positive.

Naturally we were all nervous come thaw day but our little fighters amazed everyone as all three survived.  One of the 4 cells lost a cell but the other two remained in tact, so we had a 4 cell and an 8 cell transferred. Again, came the speech - just because they survived the thaw, doesn't mean they will implant. 

11 days after my 3 day transfer (3 days being from the fresh cycle, they were thawed in the morning and transferred the same afternoon) I started cramping and bleeding heavily.  I thought AF had turned up but had to test to 'complete' the treatment cycle.  We were both stunned when the test was a very strong positive!  As were the clinic!

We had our 7 week scan booked in for three weeks later, but the night before, I again started to bleed heavily.  We thought that we were loosing our little fighters.  We were shocked once more at the scan when the lady said 'there's your baby!'  We were even more shocked when she went on 'and there's it's little buddy!'  We had to go in two weeks later to check them as vanishing twin can be pretty common, especially with bleeding.  They were both there at 9 weeks :)

Throughout my pregnancy, I had bleeding spurts and then my waters broke at 29 weeks.  Following a weeks bed rest in hospital, our gorgeous son and daughter were born at 30 weeks.  As they were tiny, they had a 6 week stay in SCBU, but they will be 3 years old next month and you would never know (or appreciate) the journey that they have already had.

So, in short, if you have embryo's put back, there is always a chance of them implanting, even if the odds are against them.  Likewise, even if they are perfect, textbook embryo's they may not implant at all.  I always say you have a 50/50 chance regardless, either it will work or it won't. 

Good luck with your FET!!

Offline ktdoc

modify
« Reply #2 on: 3/04/09, 08:30 »
Hi there

I too was overstimulated and had all my embryos frozen, I had 2 x 2 day 4 cell ebryos transferred and am now 23 weeks pg with twins, i too had the feeling that fet success rates were not as good but now i feel so blessed to be having my twins

Good luck xx

Offline still smiling

modify
« Reply #3 on: 4/04/09, 23:05 »
Hi
Thanks girls and huge congrats on your success.I asked at the clinic the other day and they confirmed my 'idea' that twins are unlikely from a FET but not to rule it out.
I think my real train of thought is that if the fresh ones in that batch did'nt make it frozen ones definitely won't.That said i know some people only get their BFPs from FETs so we'll see.
I'm torn between believing it will work and expecting nothing.Can't decide how to think!

Thankyou both so much for your replies and a lots of  ^hugme^ for your new families(3yrs is still 'new' too :)) xx 

Offline cawallinger

modify
« Reply #4 on: 8/04/09, 13:33 »
Witters - just wanted to say thankyou for your inspirational story. I'm due to test tomorrow (2 wks after 2 'fresh' embryos were transferred) but had a heavy bleed over the weekend so had already written this cycle off and started looked at doing a FET with our 3 frosties. You have given me the tiniest glimmer of hope although I'm not going to let myself get too excited!

Catherine

Offline Witters

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #5 on: 8/04/09, 13:54 »
Good luck Catherine!  I hope you are as lucky as I am ^reiki^

Offline still smiling

modify
« Reply #6 on: 8/04/09, 23:36 »
Lots of luck from me too catherine xxx

Witters,

Just noticed the names of your children,beautiful and unusual without being silly.Good choices :)

Offline Witters

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #7 on: 9/04/09, 08:38 »
Thanks! ^hugme^

Offline Witters

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #8 on: 9/04/09, 08:39 »
^reiki^ ^reiki^  Good luck today Catherine!

Offline drownedgirl

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #9 on: 9/04/09, 13:29 »
Our fresh cycle was BFN, day 3 transfer grade 1 embryos. FET was 2x blasts.. got twins

Free Butterfly PIN

Butterfly Pin

Everyone who donates gets a free discreet butterfly pin.
Many of our members are using these to help spot each other at clinics and group meetups!

* Search

Recent Topics

Suggested Reads!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal