Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

AVA Peter Russia Merged posts

122K views 469 replies 39 participants last post by  klars 
#1 ·
This is the story of how I came to be a mother of twins:

(First you can read about the many failed attempts, and finally the success!)

The process started in 2005. After having learned that the reason for me not to get pregnant was that I had come to a pre-mature menopause, my husband and I decided to go for egg donation.

Coordinated through the AVA clinic in Tampere, Finland, I was sent to the clinic in St Petersburg, since the waiting time for donors was shorter there. Preparatory visits were done in Finland, and I only went to AVA-Peter for the actual embryo transfer. One blastocyst only was transferred, since I have previously had complicated pregnancies, and the added risks with twin pregnancies were to be avoided.

Still, I got pregnant on the first attempt!

Some six weeks into the pregnancy, however, I started bleeding. I stayed in bed as much as possible, though not continuously. I had an ultrasound check which showed that the embryo had died. No heartbeat and no circulation. And although I stopped all medication, the embryo would not come out. Thus, in the tenth week I had an abortion. This ‘missed abortion’ was the toughest bit in this whole process. One of the real low tides in my life.

Determined to keep on trying, I made another attempt with a frozen blastocyst. This time the transfer was done at the AVA clinic in Tampere. No pregnancy.

Still going for it, I tried my third ET, but no pregnancy. Though starting with a good number of blastocysts, few survived the freezing/unfreezing, and there were no more available for further trials.

I wanted to keep trying, and was directed to the AVA clinic in Riga. Very convenient, with many more flights and no visa requirements, my husband and I could even travel over the day for check-ups and other preparations.

This ET was done in 2006. No pregnancy. Next try with frozen blastocyst. No pregnancy. Third/final try cancelled in last minute, as no blastocyst had survived the unfreezing.

Now we were giving up and managed to start an adoption process. But waiting times for adoption are getting increasingly long, so we decided to go back and make another try with donated eggs. Not that we believed it would result in anything, but for me, it was a way to distract myself while waiting for a child – or children – from China. I also had a creeping feeling that something would happen, and that the adoption process would stall somewhere.

Now, I checked out the homepages of the different AVA clinics, and contacted both St. Petersburg and Riga. In Riga there would be some wait for a suitable donor, but in St Petersburg, where I got into contact with Dr. Olga, there would be no waiting time.

I went to St. Petersburg for the first check-up and discussion in December 2007. I wasn’t very hopeful, but Olga seemed enthusiastic, and considering that all previous attempt had been with only one embryo, chances could be greatly enhanced if trying with two. This procedure and the alternative with prolonged hatching were discussed, but no real decision was taken.

Due to my menopause, I had to get my menstruation cycle in order, and this was to take some three months (with Femostone pills), and then at the end of February a donor was chosen and the treatment proper could start.

Already in December I was also put on a low daily dose of Aspirin – for better blood circulation – and a high daily dose of vitamin E (2x400 IU). Also Pentoxiphillin was prescribed but I was not able to access this medication and it was dropped. The treatment proper consisted of Progynon tablet, onw Procren down-regulation injection, and eventually two daily progesterone tubes (Crinone).

When the time of the transfer was near, in March, I got a really bad flu. Bad luck, I thought, and was concerned that I might not even be able to make the trip at all. I spoke to Dr. Olga, and she said that results were usually not good if patient had an infection, so she offered to have ‘my’ donor donate to the clinic and she would find me another one for ET at a later date. This whole shift was done at no extra charge, except for what I lost on the hotel, visa and air ticket that I did not use. Anyhow, I am very grateful for this, and quite certain that this choice/offer is partly behind the eventually successful result.

Another donor was identified, the discontinued treatment was restarted, and I was now to go to St Petersburg in May. There were however problems this time too. My health was fine, but the donor treatment somehow failed and the eggs were not possible to retrieve. Again, Dr. Olga sorted out the situation, and yet another donor was found in no time. The matching with my physical characteristics was not perfect, but I am told she is very pretty.

Thus, I went for the transfer, which was done only two days later than originally planned, and a few hours before I had to catch my plane. Two blastocysts transferred.

Two weeks passed and BFP! Very high values on the blood test indicated the possibility of twins.

A few weeks later I could see traces of blood in the secretion from vagina. It turned increasingly brown, and in consultation with Dr Olga we decided to start Plan B. That is, progesterone and Dicinon injections. (I gather the Dicinon is to reduce bleeding.) On the same day that this had been decided, actual bleeding started. It was heavy and my hopes went rock bottom. My husband quickly turned into a nurse and gave me I don’t know how many injections during the course of several weeks, and I also doubled the daily intake of Progynon. And, as per order from Olga, strictly in bed.

I stayed in bed for five full days, except sparse visits – crawling – to the bathroom and, when bleeding ceased for some time, a visit to my local clinic for an ultrasound check. Were we surprised? Two little embryos with hearts ticking away. After all that blood and I don’t know what leaving my body, I am still totally astonished that the two little ones in there had actually survived.

We were now in June, and I spent most of my time in bed, though slowly also getting back on my feet. We continued with injections for several weeks, until bleeding had ceased completely and the Crinone tubes were possible to use again.

I kept going to regular ultrasound checkups and always astonished things were looking so good. Still, I took it very easy and was on sick leave from work during most of the pregnancy.

I continued with Progynon until week 12, and Crinone until week 20 (which is unusually long I hear from the local doctor).

As weeks progressed my hopes were coming up. I was really anxious and hopeful about delivering in 2009, with the expected date of delivery being early February.

24 November 2008 my husband and I came down with some gastro-enteric infection or food poisoning. I spent the following day vomiting, and at night I started bleeding. We went to the hospital in the morning of 26 November, and by the time I got in, I was already in labour. I was then in pregnancy week 30.

Since twin ‘no. 1’ had had positioned himself feet down, there was no chance for vaginal delivery. Instead, I had an immediate caesarean cut. In early afternoon, three minutes apart, we had two beautiful baby boys. No 1 weighing 1550 grams, measuring 40 centimetres, and No 2 1585 g, 42 cm.

The boys spent their first days in incubators, but were later placed in a twin bed. After five weeks of growth and medical oversight rather than care, we were ready to go home.

Now the boys are five months old, weighing 6.5 and 5.5 kilos respectively. They are healthy and the whole family is doing very well. I close my eyes, and am still amazed that they are here when I open my eyes again. It’s fantastic. (And of course, very hectic with lots of work and never enough sleep!)

I am of course extremely happy with this result, and I am very grateful for the professional, and flexible, treatment from AVA-Peter and Dr. Olga in particular.

Details that may have made the difference are the Aspirin from an early stage (though not while bleeding), the great amounts of vitamin E, and, most importantly, the ‘plan B’ – what to do in case of bleeding. On previous occasions there has been no such plan, and on the only previous try that I did get pregnant, the foetus died while I was bleeding. Now I had a bunch of injections with me from St Petersburg. And when finishing these, Olga sent additional injections for us to be able to continue injecting throughout the prolonged crisis. I had lost hope myself, but the doctors around me seemed not to see the heavy bleeding as totally fatal. Apparently, they were right.

Well, this is my story. Happy ending of a fertility rollercoaster ride.
Good luck to everyone on board!

Twinmother

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh thats a lovely story

Dr Olga is very knowledgeable

Good luck with your babies, I hope one day I will be as lucky as you!

Karen x :)

#3 ·
Hi

Congratulations on your new arrival, Dr Olga certainly seems to know what she is doing and I have the upmost respect for her.  My daughter is now 7 months old and is absolutely fabulous.  Enjoy your new family

Best Wishes

psy

#4 ·
Hi all pregnancy girls(Karen, Izabel... ), :) hi psy,twinmother :)

Oh, I hope I will be next ^pray^

I would  like to talk with you, but my english is not so god,but never mine, I understand yours great stories...If you dont understand me, oh, please, tell me!
I am going very soon, in may!After may 25th! Et will be in June 3th
I was on short holiday, Before my embryo transfer...My first ET was planned in april, but my chosen -originall donor has had a cyst..I told to Lily17..whole story about that...on my funny english ;D...So, I did not  accept alternative donor, first of all, becouse dr. Olga said for original donor that "she is great girl, and she had two  donor outcome, and she is much more sutable for me...

In fine,I hope everything it will be good, without eny problems!

Twinmother, thankyou for you story.
Good luck to everyone ^reiki^

lilika

#5 ·
Hi Twinmother,

Thats quite a story and I'm glad it has such an happy ending. Congratulations on your twins! I'm a big fan of Dr. Olga too. She's very kind and gentle, but most of all she's a terrific doctor. She makes a treatment plan that fits your personal case exactly. I'm convinced that's why she has such great success rates.

Lilika, good luck on your trip. I'll keep my fingers crossed and I hope you'll get a BFP too!

Bye, Evita

#6 ·
Hello everyone :)

I'm new to this site.
Twinmother,your successful story makes me Happy.
I live in far east country from Europe.
From this site I always get a lot of info.

English is not my own language,so I can't write what I want to say well.
I also need a egg donation because my age(over 45).
I and my husband will go to initial visit to AVA on the end of May.
I am very nervous.

But I imagine Dr.Olga is very kind and successful,so I am looking forward to see her.

Thanks for reading my poor English. ^Cuddle^

#7 ·
I'll keep my fingers crossed and I hope you'll get a BFP too!
Oh, thank you,Evita, so much, I really need that in this moment! ^Heart^ ^reiki^

Hi Ciao,
and we will be in Saint Petersburg in the end of may, but for my first DE!
...I am very nervous,too!
I am going next week!

Good luck with yours initial consultations!You have about two hours to ask dr. Olga, everything!
Best wishes!

#8 ·
Thank you Lillika!

I think your happiness is just around the corner.
Good luck!

In my country,it was very difficult to get VISA by myseif,
so I and my husbund were busy to get it.
Finaly we depended on tourist and got VISA with no problem.

After getting VISA ,I am now worrying that my preparation is not enough for initial cunsultation.
But I will go there in a few days.
How about weather,how about medical tests,I am worrying about everything.
My local gynecologist says that not only about an egg donation but everything is worth doing to do.

Thanks for reading my strange English..
Lillika,you are ahead of us!
I will apreciate if you  describe your experiences after getting an egg donation.

Very kind regards
Mana

#10 ·
Hi girls!
Oh, thank you Evita, thank you Mana!
I had some error to log in...
So, I am at home ,now!
I was in Russia between may 26-june 7th
Day for test is: june 15! ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^

About report of ET:
It was on june 5th.
Its planned for june 3th, but dr.Olga decided and chose this date.
It was day five - 2 blastocyse embryons and 2 in morule stage, for freezing.
We had 15 eggs, 12 fertilization-on first day, as she said. But total scor, after five days was 4 embryons.

About simptoms..I dont know...I have some small pain in my stomach..not strong...and feeling of full bladder.I can not pic up nothing hardly, I have a problem with steps, some reactions in stomach. That is all.
Oh, I dont want to forget.. I dont have eny bleeding..or spotting...for now! that can be good sign??

Mana, did you have your first visit with dr. Olga?

Evita, what is your opinion about my simptoms?Dr. Olga said that I have a good chanse for pregnancy..I hope , so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards, Lilika

I will write, so soon!Sorry, it is too much to explain details on foreign language!
Lots of love!

#12 ·
Lilika, Congratulation!!!! ^surprise^

I am so happy to hear the news.
Thank you for reporting about ET and the result.
I was there 2 weeks ago and I will go there 4 months after.

Let me ask one thing.
What information did you have about the donor before ET??

I want to make a success like you ^reiki^
Best wishes
Mana

#13 ·
Hi, Mana!
Thank you very much!
I will keep my fingerss crosed for you!
Dr. Olga is really good doctor!
I agree with Evita, as she said: dr. Olga "She makes a treatment plan that fits your personal case exactly." I'm convinced that's why she has such great success rates.

so, it was my first donor egg and I am pregnant, now! :)

I wil write details about my chosen donor,so soon, Sorry , in this moment I must to go in bed, I need a rest! I have a smal sick.
Please, understund me.
I will write latter, ok!?

Dont worry, dr. Olga is really one serious doctor, just let her to do her job and belive!
After all , she deserving my confidnce!
I had e-mail contac with her whole 6-7 months!
I will write more dates about my donor egg tretman and about clinic and trying to be objective! ;)

Best wishes,
L ^Heart^

#14 ·
Hi, Lilika
Don't mind, please stay in bed as long as you can..!

Thank you for writing positive message to me. :)

How about your condition now?
I think that your small sick is caused by growing your pretty baby. ^DizzyLove^

Take care please.
Don't pick up heavy goods ;)

Best wishes
Mana

#15 ·
Hi Lilika,

This is really wonderful! Congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope you are feeling better now, so that you can enjoy the good news 100%. When will you have your first ultrasound?

Take good care of yourself and your litte miracle (or 2 little miracles!),

Bye, Evita

#16 ·
Hi girls!
thank you for yours congratulatons :)
I am much better, now.
I hope evrything will be ok!
Dr. Olga knows for ours great success!
After my next beta hcg( it was 983.1)I sent e-mail to dr. Olga, but she is on voice avocation.I do not want contac her, becouse nothing is not urgently.
But I would like to know how old is my pregnancy, exactly, hers opinion?!When is the rigt time to do first US, what kind of gynaecologist I need.Is it for pathology pregnancy , or not?
Oh, I dont know nothing about those things... ^idiot^

My doc. said to me, that the first US will be on july 3th?Egg aspiration was on may 31;Et was on june 5th.The last day of my menstral cycle was may 16th..
Am I 4 weeks and few days?I am not sure...and I must get answers about this.

Evita,I would like to know, did you have contac with dr. Olga, after your postive pregnancy test?Please, tell me, how is going contact with her, during the pregnancy?Thank you.
And, Evita, my dg.is a same, like yours: early POF, Do we have a similarly th.?During the pregnancy?

Mana,I will send you on pm, about my chosen donor.I had a few alternatives. ;D

Oh, I can not belive, is it truth?I will be a mamma?? ^storkgirl^

Girls, ^Cuddle^
Bay, Lilika

Mana, just belive! ^reiki^

#17 ·
Hi Lilika,

I'm glad you're feeling better. I called Dr. Olga immediately after I had my test results. She told me to continue medication as before, and to make an ultrasound 2 weeks later. So in your case that would mean on june 29, I suppose. I was told by my hospital that this was quite soon, and that maybe there wouldn't be a heartbeat yet. But at least they will be able to see if there has been an implantation of 1 or 2 embryo's. If there is no heartbeat yet when you make the first us, you will have to make another 1 week later to see if the heart(s) started beating.

After my first ultrasound I kept in contact with Dr. Olga by email. After a few weeks I started wondering how long I had to continue medication, so I asked her about that. She then sent me a schedule on how to reduce medication. One time I called her, because I had a little bleeding. I was lucky to get her on the phone right away, and she was very kind and reassuring as usual. She explained to me that the bleeding was probably caused because I started reducing progynova. There was no reason to panic, and she expected the bleeding would stop within 1 or 2 days, which it did, fortunately.

I think the start of your pregnancy is 2 weeks prior to egg aspiration/fertilization of the eggs. In your case the first day would be 17 may so today you're 5 weeks pregnant already! That's wonderful, isn't it? If this is correct your baby is due on 21 february. I am 20 weeks now, and last week I found out it's a girl! It's still hard to believe sometimes that I will have a baby, but I can feel her moving now so I know she's there and it's for real  :)

Take good care of yourself and your little miracle(s),

Bye, Evita

#18 ·
Hello Evita,
tank you very, very much for your replication.Its  means too much for me, now!
I think like you about my pregnancy old.I found ivf calcultor, and that really means 5weeks and one day!

I do not recive e-mail from dr. Olga, as I told she is on voice avocation...So, I visited my doctor,and he appointed to me on jul 3th, for first US!So, I will be a  patient!
I do not have eny simptoms, now.I dont know is that ok or not?Do I need another one beta hcg test?I am folowing my body and my stomack..some times there is small, small pain and nothing more.Thats  all!I hope everthing is ok!
Oh, I would like how many embrions are inside, I am thinking about that, very often..Is it normal, ^idiot^
How to spend time till first US?! ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^pray^

Oh, you will have a girl?Great!!What about your work?I am on sick-level, for now.

Evita, thank you again for you reply!

Best wishes to you and to you little girl!

Mana, I sent you pm.

Bay girls!
Lilika

#19 ·
Hi Lilika,

Don't worry about not having symptoms. It can take some time before you get symptoms, and some women never experience any symptoms at all. It's not really necessary to do another hCG test, but if you do it, it might be reassuring too see that your level has gone up. I know it takes ages before the first ultrasound, but believe me, in the end time flies, and before you know it you're half way your pregnancy  :)
I work 4x9, which means 4 days, 9 hours per day. I have been very tired sometimes, but it's getting better now. My job isn't too heavy, as I work in an office and sit behind my desk most of the time. And tomorrow I will go on holiday for 1,5 weeks. I will be going to Crete, I really look forward to spending some relaxing time at the beach. So I might not be able to post for the next 1,5 weeks. But I'll check as soon as I am back to see the results of your ultrasound.

It's a good thing you're on sick leave, so you can rest and relax as much as possible. Just try to have faith in your body and in your little miracle(s). You've come this far already, that's a big step! I'll send you lots of  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ from sunny Crete.

Bye, Evita

#22 ·
Hi Lilika,

That's wonderful! Now you can really enjoy your pregnancy. Are you having any symptoms yet? Hope you're lucky and have no symptoms like morning sickness  :)

Enjoy your pregnancy!

Bye, Evita

#23 ·
Hi all!
Hi Evita,
yes, I am much better ,now!
I am still on sick-level!My local gyn. told to me that is the best for me!Thanks to him ;)

I just waiting my 12 weeks of pregnancy, I think then I will be much more relax!
Evita, when did you ask dr. Olga to reduce you therapy?I use estradiol patch, Divigel,Proginova 2 times daily, and Crinone two times daily.Also and aspirin.
Oh, Crinone is very expensive , in my country!
She sent me email, and asked about therapy in this moment, but no answer, yet, about therapy, so, no changes,for now, since embryo transfer.
She does not like Utragestan, she means that the Crinone is much better for begining of pregnancy.Ok, I respect her opinion!But some of those medicines its very difficulty to find.

Miss Julia asked me to write and send to them my "successffuly" story, they makes a new web presentation of Ava-Petar clinic.
I am planing to put my story, here...Of course, it will be on correct english! :) ;D

Mana, inform us about you!
Evita, i hope everthing will be ok with me,like you,  so, thats mean I can planing few days in Greece ;D in septembar :)

Lots of love!
Lilika

#24 ·
Hi Lilika,

Dr. Olga will send you a schedule on how to reduce medicines. Maybe you already received it, otherwise just ask Dr. Olga.

That's nice that your story will be on the Ava website!

Take good care of yourself and your precious little one,

Bye,

Evita

#26 ·
Hello, girls!
Long time see..

I am very nervous now because I will go to AVA for embryo transfer soon..
So far everything is good about my preparation.
Now I am taking Progynova.

My donor succeeded twice before so I believe that she has a strong power.
One thing I can do now is to have good images of pregnancy..
If someone knows any other secrets of success, please tell me.. ^pray^

Lillika, you will be 5th month?
Very fast!
Please keep good conditions and have fun  :)

Best wishes
Mana

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.