* Author Topic: The Royal Infirmary Edinburgh : Part 38  (Read 115057 times)

Offline silver6

• Gold Member
modify
Re: The Royal Infirmary Edinburgh : Part 38
« Reply #30 on: 3/09/10, 18:50 »
Hi folks,

Just wanted to pop on and say hello. I'm now 22.5 weeks pg and have found out that I'm having a wee boy - had thought that I wanted a girl, but after all we've been through I discovered that I really don't care what we have so long as it's healthy! I'm afraid that unlike JSparrow I am NOT loving being pregnant - I have various health issues that make me high-risk so not only do I not feel physically great, but, as I suspected I would after so many losses and failures, I spend most of the time being terrified in case something goes wrong. People keep telling me that I must be "overjoyed", "delighted" and "so excited" and I'm thinking "if I get to the stage when I'm holding a live, healthy baby, I'll be all these things, but right now I'm just scared!". I know that those of you on here who've had losses will understand this feeling  ^eyes^ . I'm just counting the days till I get to the stage when, if I do get pre-eclampsia or some other nasty thing, the baby is big enough to survive outside the womb - then I'll breathe a little easier  ^reiki^ .

I really wanted to send Minihaha a huge  ^hugme^ . You did an amazing thing to lose all that weight for your NHS try - I carry a few extra pounds myself and I know how hard it is to try to shift them. I can't believe they're trying to get you to lose more for a PRIVATE cycle! On infertility blogs, girls refer to these review meetings as WTF appointments (as in "What the f***?") and I reckon that's a really good name for them. You go along, wondering what on earth went wrong and looking for some answers and some hope for the next round and it's soul-destroying when you don't get either. I can highly recommend the GCRM in Glasgow - if you're having to go private you might as well have a look at places other than ERI. And although the GCRM is in Glasgow, they have a deal with a private place here (the Edinburgh Clinic in Merchiston) who can do all your scans and bloods, so you only have to go to Glasgow for the initial stuff and EC and ET. They seem to be a bit more open to trying different things, and I've found both high-up doctors to be really helpful and open to chatting about options. There are other folk on here who've used them, I'm sure - and you can always check out other private places (Nuffield in Glasgow too). PM me if you want any more info. I know from my own experience that one IVF cycle can be very different from the next, so please don't give up hope!

Love to everyone else - I pop on every so often to check on you all and I wish you all lots of luck for your journeys.
Jan xx

Offline pumpkin-pie

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #31 on: 3/09/10, 19:14 »
Hello Ladies

Just popping on to say everything went fantastic today couldnt have asked for any better, we got a Grade 1 embryo and a Grade 1/2 and another one which was ok but not great.  So just sitting with my feet up and taking it easy.  Feeling very positive at the moment, not sure how long it will last but making the most of it at the moment!

Jan - Sorry you are having a tough time at the moment but great that you are at 22.5 weeks already and team blue! 

Offline silver6

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #32 on: 3/09/10, 22:25 »
That's fab Pumpkin!! How many did they put back? Getting two at Grade 1 and 1/2 is brilliant - hope however many went back are settling in for the long-haul  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ .
Love
Jan xx

Offline elinor

modify
« Reply #33 on: 6/09/10, 18:36 »
Hello all

Sorry, I know I post so infrequently, but I do read and am thinking of you all.

Pumpkin - congrats on the lovely embies! Hope things keep going the right direction over the next 2 weeks.

Jan - yes, in answer to your post on the last thread, you are right, we have met in the 3d world. I am so pleased you are 22.5 weeks - but I understand what you mean about worrying and wanting to get to the next stage (or the one where you have that baby in your arms). I can't face doing a ticker under my signature - don't have faith this one will stay yet - have only been to the early pregnancy unit once, cos when I phoned back they just said they'd already scanned me so couldn't do so again (then why does the leaflet say 'please phone us if you have more bleeding'...?). Just counting the days till the next milestone ( I am only 10.5 weeks, and my NHS scan isn't till 13 - but heyho, that's only 17 days away). I hope things get easier and that all the possible problems don't materialise - for you or for me!

Minihaha - I just wanted to say that I have also found ERI totally unhelpful in attitude, esp about weight. One nurse said I probably miscarried last year because I was overweight. And they NEVER ask about how you feel etc - real contrast to GCRM (and other private clinics I have been to, but GCRM definitely the best of the bunch for me), who include details of contacting the counsellor on the 'sorry things didn't work out' letter, and mention the counselling service in every letter about treatment. Also, they have been really helpful the past couple of weeks (GP won't issue prescription for certain meds 'no nhs licence for this use'... will do a private one (at nearly 70 per week - via GCRM the meds cost 15.50, so although they are 'private', they are not just out to make money and are happy to pass on cost savings that they make ordering drugs in bulk)).. GCRM had meds sorted, called back to confirm, I collected them in Edinburgh and the receipt arrived the next day in the post. I also phoned the nurses about bleeding last week - they phoned back, I asked a couple of questions about 'is it related to taking clexane?' and they said they'd speak to consultant and get back to me, but it might be after 6pm cos he was consulting. Well, he phoned me back himself, was very reassuring and followed up with a letter that started 'we are delighted that everything is progressing well for you with this pregnancy'. Can't imagine any ERI dr saying (or thinking) that. I also pointed out to ERI that when I was first referred I my BMI was 23.9 - it has gone up whilst I have been fed up and waiting, and then with each failed treatment.  Sorry for long and convoluted reply, but the lack of support and the harping on about BMI really struck a chord. GCRM were encouraging when I did manage to lose weight, but the fact they will treat as long as your BMI is under 35 means you don't have to stress.

Michelle - hope you get started soon!

Everyone else - best wishes to all, and I will try to post a bit more regularly (but some days I struggle - like all of us, I guess).
Sending baby dust and positive thoughts (or prayers for those for whom they are acceptable) to anyone who wants them
Elinor

Offline JudyAnn

• Un-Ranked
modify
« Reply #34 on: 7/09/10, 16:10 »
Hello, I am new to this forum.  I am about to start IVF self funded at the ERI.  I have a low AMH of 1.6.  I am concerned about the success rates with IVF and a low AMH.  When I asked the consultant last week, he gave a success rate of around 20%. However yesterday when speaking with a staff nurse (who then confirmed her assumption with a consultant), she gave a likely success rate of 5%.  A 5% success rate is very different from 20%, the ERI don't seem too clear on their figures.  Has anyone else been given an indication of success with IVF and a low AMH?  I am not sure that with such an low AMH, IVF is worthwhile.  Any thoughts most welcome.  Thanks!

Offline pumpkin-pie

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #35 on: 7/09/10, 18:29 »
Hello

Elinor - Congratulations on your BFP.  Can only imagine how worried you must be after all you have been through but hoping everything goes well for you  ^hugme^

Jan - Sorry to hear you are having a tough time, hope that time passes quickly and you can begin to relax maybe even a little bit  ^hugme^

JudyAnn - Hello and welcome to the forum.  I am not really an expert on AMH but from what I can work out and my own experience is that it isnt the be all and end all.  When they tested me I had a really high AMH but I had some surgery on my ovaries and I got 5 eggs on first cycle and only 3 on this cycle which they said was much lower than they would expect for someone of my age and my AMH level.  However they were good quality eggs.  I know there are ladies on here who had low AMH and either got more eggs than expected or only got a few eggs but went on to have a BFP.  One lady had only 2 eggs but went on to have twins.  Success rates are so hard as well as everything can go well up to embryo transfer but if they dont implant then it doesnt work and sometimes thats just the way it is hard although incredibly hard.  You have to do what is best for you but if it was me I would want to at least have a try and see.  I think if they didnt think it was worth a go they wouldnt go ahead.  Good luck in whatever you decide and maybe one of the girls who knows more about AMH than me might be along to shed some more light/encouragement etc. 

Michelle - How are you doing?

Well as for me, been back at work this week and keeping busy is helping, feel much calmer although not sure how long that will last.  After the weekend I think its going to be tough as think it was the Sunday night I started bleeding last time.  However that was last time and this is this time and  ^pray^  it is going to be so different.  Amazing to think that one week tomorrow I will know - AHHHHHH!!!!

Offline bambinoplease

modify
« Reply #36 on: 7/09/10, 19:39 »
Hi all,

Pumpkin-pie, glad to hear your are feeling nice and relaxed, only a week to go and hopefully you get the news you are looking for.

Welcome JudyAnn, I also have a low AMH, 1.2 on last test and like you was very concerned.  After speaking to a few ladies on here I felt a lot better.  My consultant advised success rates of 20 to 25% but if I respond normally to treatment then that % increases, so its all down to the way I respond to the drugs, so keeping everything crossed.  I go back tomorrow to hopefully start stimms.  Also the consultant advised that it is quality over quantity so although there may not be many eggs hopefully the quality is good. 

Hope that helps.

x

Offline pumpkin-pie

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #37 on: 7/09/10, 19:50 »
bambinoplease - thats fab news that you might be starting stimms tomorrow.   ^hugme^

Offline michelle1984

modify
« Reply #38 on: 7/09/10, 23:36 »
hi pumpkin im ok still waiting for af (should have been here 2day) ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^

how r u? cant beleive u are testing in a week time is flying in  xxxxx

hopefully af will come 2morrow  ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^ xxx

Offline bambinoplease

modify
« Reply #39 on: 8/09/10, 12:04 »
Hi ladies,

Went for my scan this morning and lining is not yet thin enough so need to take double doses of Burselin for another week.  To add to that the Doctor found a large cyst on my left ovary apparently this can happen with the drugs so unless it goes by itself by next week will need to go to theatre to have it drained.  I can't see how it would go by itself....anyway just another hurdle to overcome, fingers crossed the double dose works and this time next week I can start stimms!

x

* Search

Free Butterfly PIN

Butterfly Pin

Everyone who donates, gets a free discrete butterfly pin.
Many of our members are using these to help spot each other at clinics and group meetups!

Recent Topics

Amazon top seller!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal