* Author Topic: Summer Starbursts - August/September 2011 Cycle Buddies - Part 1  (Read 99645 times)

Offline Little_Miss_Bossy

• Gold Member
modify
Re: Just starting out with IVF treatment
« Reply #240 on: 14/03/11, 21:32 »
Hi all,

What a day!!! Can happily report that they managed to collect 8 eggs!!!  :) Still a bit woozy, will write more when I'm a bit more with it  ^idiot^

xxx

Offline leinlondon

modify
« Reply #241 on: 14/03/11, 21:45 »
Karen, wahooooo 8 eggs that is great news! Did you have GA then or sedation? So pleased it went well xx

WW - good to meet a fellow Listerite! I must admit they have been friendly and professional throughout, also have never had to wait more than 10 mins before an appointment. Not long now then until downreg, how are you feeling about it all? xx

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #242 on: 15/03/11, 11:09 »
Hi all,

Bit more with it today! I was put under sedation and was quite surprised that it only took 20 mins (or so I'm told as I was still in and out a bit!). DH was there when I woke up and had a little incubator box with everything in. Was nice to see him when I woke up, someone familiar. He showed me what was in the box, which was a load of test tubes with orangy/red stuff in. Bit surreal really! Then he went off to the bridge centre to do his thing and came back about 4 hours later. Yep, it took a long time! Not his fault though, they kept him waiting a long time, firstly because they had to look at the eggs, then after he had done his sample they kept him for a little longer to check his swimmers. When he came back, he was able to tell me that they had colleted 8 eggs although they had more but they weren't mature enough and therefore no good. Over the moon with 8 eggs though! Just waiting for a phone call now!

Few points I will make that I wish someone would have told me is:

Take something to read, both of you. It's a long ol' wait and you will get bored of looking at the walls.

Take some food with you. I was given food at the hospital, but I'm a bit funny and don't really like hospital food, even though it was just a sandwich, and would have prefered to take my own. Also, your DH should take some food, not only because he will get hungry, but also it's something else to fill the time!

Take you phone, but keep it on silent. Wish I could have sent DH a quick text to find out how much longer he was going to be. Although don't message him too early incase you put him off!

There was another lady in a cubicle next to me and we overheard her and her DH talking to the Dr before hand, and the Dr was asking all the normal questions. Then when asked how her DH was going to get the the other clinic, he said he didn't know yet. Please make sure you have an idea of how you are going to get there. I felt really sorry for this couple who ended up forking out a fortune for a cab.

Last thing I would say, is DH said to make sure you have change (quite a bit) for all the car park stays you will be needing.

Really hope this helps you guys when it's your turn. Like I said, I just wash someone told us before we went to have it done. Ask away if you have any questions, I'm all for sharing experiences!

xxx

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #243 on: 15/03/11, 15:09 »
Hi,

Just got a call from the clinic and they told me that we actually had 9 eggs as one was hiding.  ::)  They also told me that they all fetalised!!!  ;D  Over the moon right now!! Also ET is arranged for Thursday unless they decide to go to basto stage which it will then be Saturday. So happy that they have all made it this far, just hope that they continue on for me.  ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^

xxx

Offline leinlondon

modify
« Reply #244 on: 16/03/11, 16:36 »
Not good news from me... transfer was supposed to be yesterday but none of 5 that were doing really well on day 3 had developed past morula stage, they decided to delay until today but told me it was not good news. We went in today for transfer and just as we arrived got the call from the embryologists that all 5 had perished overnight.  ^eyes^

Going to take some time to pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off no doubt before we think about round 2. Plus we will need to do a bit of saving.

As   we were right outside the hospital ready for transfer when they called   with the news I asked to see a consultant to discuss what went wrong and   what we could change. Apparently although I don't have PCOS I have "polycystic   tendancies" while stimming and they have suggested next cycle we do short   protocol with Menopur instead of Gonal F, plus Cetrotide... they've started me on Metformin as well which is odd as I thought that was only for people with PCOS  ???

It was all looking so positive   until yesterday... :'(

Karen, wishing you loads of luck for Thurs/Sat honey xxxx

WycombeWife - Lister were great all the way through, what did they change from your cycle at your previous clinic? x

Leah xxx

Offline WycombeWife

modify
« Reply #245 on: 16/03/11, 19:14 »
Oh LeinLondon, how awful  :'(

I have polycystic ovaries not PCOS and with the last clinic was on long protocol and gonal f.  I had mild OHSS and although I had over 20 follicles drained, only half actually had eggs.  We got to blasto stage with 5 embryos but no frosties.

Lister said they wouldn't do too much different.  The differences so far are that I started on the pill as part of the D/R stage and will stimm with menopur to try and get more eggs collected but on very low doses (alternating 112 and 75 mg) to prevent over-stimming. 

I've always been told that the first cycle should be seen as a fact-finding trial - to see how you respond to the meds and that this information will contribute to subsequent successes.  I hope that helps. Thinking of you  ^hugme^

Offline ziggy0

modify
« Reply #246 on: 17/03/11, 17:57 »
Karen all sounds like fantastic news very very pleased for you, you deserve it!!!!  Keep us posted huni and lots of  ^reiki^ and  ^pray^ for you xx

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #247 on: 17/03/11, 18:39 »
Hi all,

Leinlondon, I'm so sorry to hear that it's not been good news for you  :'(  It is a good idea to pick yourselves up and just spend some quality time together. You never know, maybe a bit more bms might do the trick. Really hope you have another shot at it and that it works better for you.

Wycombewife, I agree with what you said, that they use the first try as a test. Don't think they should do this though as many people only have one try. Really think they should do all the tests they can first before saying it is an actual funded attempt. Makes me a bit angry that we are all paying taxes and what not, but they still have the power to say how many tries we are allowed. Why play God? Well, I suppose I shouldn't really rant too much ^bigbad^

ET Saturday for me now.

^hugme^ and  ^pray^ for everyone xxx

Offline leinlondon

modify
« Reply #248 on: 18/03/11, 11:18 »
Thanks ladies, has been disappointing but we are getting there. Having the follow up consult on the day helped. Unfortunately I don't think we are one of the ones who will get lucky with BMS any more, the consultant said that as we have multiple issues (one tube down, other possibly blocked, now sperm issues, long cycles etc) that it is very unlikely we will ever get pregnant naturally, which is kind of what I thought already. It is a shame that 1st try (especially if you have to pay for it - our NHS pct has cut ALL funding for IVF) is a kind of "dry-run", but in some ways I guess it hopefully means they have learnt from it and can tailor things differently for next time (that's me being philosophical  ;D )

Karen - ET TOMORROW wahoooooooooo!!! Wishing you tons and tons of luck  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ , that is excellent news that you are going to blast.. how are all your 9 getting on? Do you think you will have any to freeze? Sounds as though things are going really well, everything crossed for you at this end. How are you feeling today? The days between EC and ET are sooooooo nerve-wracking, hope you have things to help keep you occupied! And as for your rant hon, don't get me started... when they changed it from two free cycles to NO free cycles AT ALL in Surrey last November I went ballistic!  ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^ xxx

WW - when will you start stimming? Would be interested to hear how you get on with the Menopur, have you bought it yet? I understand that it is not a pen like the Gonal F but that it comes in vials/powders, don't really understand how that all works tbh, sure they will tell me next time. They aren't going to put me on the pill or downreg me at all next time which will be interesting... will all go much faster that's for sure as I think that as soon as I started stimming with this cycle just gone is when time really started flying! I think we will consider doing another cycle in May/June all being well and if we can sort the money by then.

Have good days ladies xx

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #249 on: 18/03/11, 23:55 »
Hi all,

Big day tomorrow and very nervous!!! When we got the call Thursday to say that we were going to blasto stage, the lady on the phone told me that all 9 were doing well and developing nicely. Think thats a positive sign!

I was on the menopur and it comes in two parts. One part is a small bottle like vile that you have to break off the top then the second part is powders. You suck up the water and then inject it in to the powder. I was on two powders to one water alternating with three powders. Then towards the end three powders. My hubby works with a lady who is on six powders as she has quite  abit of trouble. If you type in menopur in to google, it will come up with a website that can explain more. We were also given an injector pen which you load with the needle and then hold on your skin and press a button. Quite straight forward though. Hope this helps you a little.

Really hope one of us wins the lottery so we can help each other pay for a cycle!   ^pray^

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow, xxx

* Search

Free Butterfly PIN

Butterfly Pin

Everyone who donates, gets a free discrete butterfly pin.
Many of our members are using these to help spot each other at clinics and group meetups!

Recent Topics

Amazon top seller!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal