* Author Topic: Thinking about IVF in Bradford - any good? advice please x  (Read 2401 times)

0 Members

Hi please help. Me and my partner have been trying to conceive for five years. Although we are in Bradford (therefore funding for IVF will come from Bradford) we are currently seeing Dr Debono at Halifax Calderdale Royal. He has advised that due to low sperm count we will need IVF to conceive. Tried reading the information sheets but slightly overwhelmed. Can anyone help me on this? Hoping to also find out about current waiting times in Bradford? Thanks Pink Las Vegas Princess x

Offline LHR72

Hi there
i started my ivf investigations in Bradford on nhs about 4 years ago. they were reasonably quick in getting appointments and i had  a laparoscopy there. i was told the waiting list for ivf was 2 years. i then moved away from the area so can't report on anything further, sorry.
x

Offline HayleyHayley

• Un-Ranked
Hi,
I am being seen at Bradford but for IUI not IVF and was told there isnt a waiting list you just start treatment on your next cycle.
Hope this helps. x

Hi thanks for your help HayleyHayley and LHR72. Hope there is no waiting list it seems to be taking forever! We were recommended for IVF last week but have to wait 2 months for the next information session. Been looking into IUI that sounds like something that might benefit us too. Did it take long to get started with the treatment? And do you know the costs or is it free on NHS? x

Offline LHR72

HI
it depends on the PCT what will be funded - in Lancashire i was very lucky that they funded 3 cycles, but i have now moved to Sheffield where they only fund one. i can't remember what the situation is in Bradford, sorry!
i'd say anything up to 3 months is what to expect in waiting time for an appointment in nhs!! keep trying though and you might get an earlier cancellation slot. this of course is the benefit of going private, it's much quicker, you can feel like you are wasting so much time on nhs system.

Offline HayleyHayley

• Un-Ranked
Hi, we are funded for 3 attempts at IUI and 1 IVF in bradford on the NHS, you have all your scans and appointments at bradford and the nurses are lovely then the actual procedure done at either seacroft or sheffield whichever u prefer.

Thanks LHR72 – much appreciated! We will keep trying hopefully it will move quite quickly. Feels like so much time has been wasted already even though we are young! Is there much price difference going private? HayleyHayley I didn’t realise you could be funded for both IUI and IVF and also that there is the possibility of being funded for more than 1 IUI. Think we would prefer IUI actually anyway. This news makes me feel more positive so thank you! xx

Offline LHR72

if you're thinking of going private, bear in mind that the nhs will knock any private cycles you have off your nhs limit ... so tho i was eligible for 3 cycles on ns, i had the first one privately so the nhs woudl then only fund two. however, if you have frozen embryos following the fresh ivf cycle, each attempt with a frozen embryo transfer counts as part of your funded ivf cycle.
a private ivf attempt costs about £4000, plus costs for frozen embryo storgae, and each frozen transfer then costs about £900. you can transfer them to the nhs though, which is what we did.
good luck xx
PS before deciding to do iui, ask about why it will be more beneficial to you than ivf. we decided to go straight to ivf.

Offline HayleyHayley

• Un-Ranked
When we first went to appointments we got told bradford only had funding for either iui or ivf but just before we were ready to start we went for our final consultation and got told the funding had changed and they are now funded for both 3 cycles of IUI and the 1 of IVF but if you pick ivf you cant then go onto iui if not succesful. We also got told that if we wanted to fund any we could and we would still be funded for the full 3 iuis and 1 ivf. We decided to go for the iui 1st and i had the 1st cycle that got cancelled due to over stimulation, when i went to start my 2nd cycle they said that it was still classed as cycle 1 as we didnt get to the final injection and insemination. I am now on cycle 2 and have had insemination and am now just waiting for the outcome. Hope this helps.

Offline Dewey

Hi All!

I went to the BRI in Feb for an IVF consultation and the Dr said that we can have 3 x IUI and 1 x IVF courtesy of the NHS.  However, we have to wait another year because we are unexplained, so have to be trying for 3 yrs before they will help  >:(

She did say there was no waiting list at the moment though, so tx could start on the next cycle hypothetically, but she also mentioned that funded treatment could be cut at anytime, due to the government cutbacks.

Has anyone else had to wait 3 yrs for funded treatment with unexplained?

Free Butterfly PIN

Butterfly Pin

Everyone who donates gets a free discreet butterfly pin.
Many of our members are using these to help spot each other at clinics and group meetups!

* Search

Recent Topics

Suggested Reads!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal