* Author Topic: Prednisolone and salt/sugar??  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Bettysjourney

• Gold Member
modify
Prednisolone and salt/sugar??
« on: 2/04/11, 09:05 »

Hi there

I'm about to start a donor cycle and have been prescribed 25mg of pred - with added notes 'no salt/sugar'

has anyone else had this warning at all?  not sure how important this is? and how extreme - does it mean no sweets, choc, cakes, crisps or extra sugar in things like tea etc??

Would welcome anyones comments.

Thanks
Betty xx

Offline butterflies4ever

• Gold Member
  • Summer time!!
modify
Re: Prednisolone and salt/sugar??
« Reply #1 on: 2/04/11, 09:10 »
Basically NO salt & sugar means NO salt & sugar. Eliminate cakes, sweets adding salt to dishes even when cooking.
Dishes will taste bland but you'll get use to it.

Electra x

Offline agate

• half human, half....?
  • Volunteer
    • make a donation for children's life saving surgery?
modify
« Reply #2 on: 2/04/11, 09:20 »
basically, corticosteroids tend to make the body conserve salt so its better to reduce your intake and they tend to raise your blood sugar levels so its better to have as little sugar (including fruit sugar - so limit fruit and avoid fruit juices or dried fruit) in your diet as you can get away with.    You may feel hungrier than normal on steroids, so if you try and think about having big plates of veggies together with lean protein and small portions of complex carbs (brown rice, barley etc) that's going to work out better for your weight and metabolism than giving in to the munchies and eating junk.   depending on your will power you might want to 'clean house' and remove temptation from your cupboards.   if you need some ideas, find a low GI diet but there are some more tips in the FAQ.

Offline Babytears

modify
« Reply #3 on: 4/04/11, 18:29 »
Gosh I had no idea about this and I start on both to with my treatment in 3 weeks. Any ideas why mr g failed to mention this fact. I have to say though he is sooo vague on everything, I have to rely agates FAQs on here to get the info I need. Having said that he didn't mention calcium either. No sugar and salt it is then. Boy this is going to be hard!

How does everybody else manage? I'm veggie to :-/

Xx

Offline Han72

• FF's official straight talking one... innit...
  • VIP Member Sponsor
  • Tishtastic!
modify
« Reply #4 on: 4/04/11, 19:26 »
Hiya Betty ^wave^

I have to say that I've never been given this warning in such a stark manner and I get prescribed pred a lot as I'm asthmatic. However I've been told to limit my salt and sugar intake due to the reasons Agate mentions and also to supplement with calcium but then again, I'm a long-term pred user (urgh, makes me sound like a drug addict ;D ) as opposed to someone using it for a few weeks for IVF...

Good luck for your cycle hon  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

xxx

Offline Bettysjourney

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #5 on: 4/04/11, 20:59 »

Thanks for feedback ladies.

I have now had a response from my doc re salt/sugar intake.
She has told me that salt is more important to monitor than sugar but.....  The steroids make the cells absorb fluids so in order to eliminate this effect they should be kept to a minimum.  So as to avoid the 'moon' face effect which can occur.

What was it about calcium intake?  not heard about that one.

Han72 - lovely to hear from you darling.

Betty xxxx

Offline -Starflower-

modify
« Reply #6 on: 4/04/11, 21:17 »
I found taking potassium tablets enabled me to get away with eating a little salt.

Offline Babytears

modify
« Reply #7 on: 4/04/11, 22:13 »
'The longer you take them for, the greater the risk of bone thinning because steroids impair calcium absorption from food (so its advisable to take an over-the-counter calcium supplement for your health and also for your baby's bones - although steroids are normally stopped at about 12 weeks and bone formation takes place mainly later in pregnancy'

Copied and pasted from faqs

Xx

Offline Han72

• FF's official straight talking one... innit...
  • VIP Member Sponsor
  • Tishtastic!
modify
« Reply #8 on: 5/04/11, 12:48 »
So as to avoid the 'moon' face effect which can occur.

aaah the infamous pred moon-face syndrome ::) Here's a tip, never buy glasses (specs that is!) when you're in the throes of steroid induced moon-face! I made this mistake and now my glasses just drop off my face as soon as I lean forward or look down ;D ;D ;D

xxx

Offline lala1975

modify
« Reply #9 on: 5/04/11, 18:33 »
I had no idea about that either and I've taken prednisolone for all three of my cycles :( No wonder I ended up with moonface >:( Will definitely be watching my salt and sugar intake during my next cycle.

* Search

Free Butterfly PIN

Everyone who donates, gets a free discrete butterfly pin.
Many of our members are using these to help spot each other at clinics and group meetups!

Butterfly Pin

Recent Topics

Amazon top seller!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal