Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Oxfordshire general chit chat: Part 14

84K views 599 replies 44 participants last post by  Nequila 
#1 ·
#177 ·
Thanks Jo - will try and find some time tomorrow - where does the time go? Never ending :)

#179 ·
Malbec, just wanted to say a huge congratulations to you!
Your babies look beautiful, you must be soo proud.
I can't believe how fast this has come around!
I am so happy for you Malbec, and hope you are getting plenty of rest, although I bet it is exhausting!
Take care xxxxxxxx

#180 ·
Hi

Can I ask a question? Did you all have to go to an open evening at OFU? We've had our initial appointment and our councelling session re egg share. I now need scan and immune and genetic tests done and then the legal paperwork to sign etc but phoned to make appointment for scan and tests and was told that I have to go to an open evening? My defenition of open evening is where you go to see what the place can offer when deciding where to have treatment etc.. not something that is needed when you are part way into the process! I just see it as a waste of time. Do you know if it is needed and what it entails?

Jen x

#181 ·
Confused, yes it's compulsory (or it was when I was at OFU). It's basically a talk by one of the senior consultants plus an embryologist and I think a nurse about how treatment works. They also give you lots of written information about treatment. And it's a chance for you to ask lots of questions. We found it very helpful, but if you know a lot about IVF etc already or have been through treatment elsewhere then it might not be so useful.

#183 ·
Aenor- can't believe your boys are one already! belated happy birthday to them x

#184 ·
Thanks Wright. And your little girl is well into her second year! Hope she's thriving. They'll be leaving home before we know it...

Confused, honestly it's not that bad. :) And it's a good opportunity to ask questions and hear about exactly how OFU works.

#185 ·
Aenor - belated happy birthday to your boys.  Doesn't seem long since we met at Pizza Express when you were just starting your cycle  :eek:

Peacelily xx

#186 ·
Aenor said:
Thanks Wright. And your little girl is well into her second year! Hope she's thriving. They'll be leaving home before we know it...

Confused, honestly it's not that bad. :) And it's a good opportunity to ask questions and hear about exactly how OFU works.
Hmmmm I'm not convinced, especially as I have NO questions.. maybe I'm a bit odd!

#187 ·
Aenor said:
Confused, yes it's compulsory (or it was when I was at OFU). It's basically a talk by one of the senior consultants plus an embryologist and I think a nurse about how treatment works. They also give you lots of written information about treatment. And it's a chance for you to ask lots of questions. We found it very helpful, but if you know a lot about IVF etc already or have been through treatment elsewhere then it might not be so useful.
Hi

I spoke to Cathy today and I do have to go to an open evening, I've also booked our consent form appointments for IVF and egg share and dh's SA test.. managed to get all three on same day! So I have exactly a month to work on some questions.. One could be why wasn't I told back in August that I had to get my BMI under 30 as now I have to go on a mega quick diet! Which was the other thing I was told today..

Kinda excited that its all happening again, but also finding it all quite daunting as also discovered today that dh has fractured his knee!

Jen x

#188 ·
Peacelily, thanks. Yes it seems so recent... and yet not... Hope your lovely son is thriving. :)

#190 ·
Hi all,

Hope everything is going well!

Was hoping you could give me a bit of advice. DH and I are due to relocate to Oxfordshire in the new year, and trying to decide where to live - probably either Abingdon or somewhere in Oxford. Having had IVF I am due mid April - so was wondering those of you who do have experience of these things, would you recommend one over he other as being more child friendly (and welcoming to new people!) And if in Oxford are there any areas you'd recommend?

Many thanks,

Tink

#191 ·
Tink - have you visited Witney? It's a lovely town! Can be inconvenient if commuting outside of Oxfordshire but I love the fact we have lots of nice pubs, restaurants and shops here - no need to go into Oxford! For child-friendliness in Oxford itself I would imagine it would depend on the area, some areas are more studenty, some more middle-aged, some suitable for young families and so on.

xxx

#192 ·
Thanks Malbec,

Have had a look and Witney does look lovely! DH is starting work in Abingdon, which is why we were thinking Abingdon (or maybe Oxford) to avoid too long a commute - think you're absolutely right about the areas in Oxford - so some advice as to which are more child friendly would be great x

PS. Also, I don't drive, so good transport links are important.

#193 ·
Tink, my parents live in Abingdon (we're in Kidlington) and it is very child-friendly, big pedestrianised shopping area in the middle of town and excellent bus links with Oxford. There's a massive soft-play place (Snakes and Ladders) and a lovely leisure centre with a good swimming pool. Abingdon is not a 'buzzy' place - if you want excitement, you'd be better off in Oxford (more of a cultural mix too) as Abingdon is possibly too quiet for some people. However, I think it's a nice place to live, and if your husband has a job there it's ideal. Witney is LOVELY but the road between Witney and Abingdon is a PAIN so I wouldn't bother, especially if you don't drive. Plus there are NO buses from Witney to Abingdon, so you'd be stuffed without a car. If you're strapped for cash, Didcot is close to Abingdon and is much cheaper. Of course, that's because some people regard it as a bit of a dive ;)  but like anywhere, it's got its nice areas and not-so-nice areas! Abingdon also has several very good schools, parks etc.

You're due a couple of weeks after me, so maybe we could meet up with our newborns if you're going to be in Abingdon! I visit it quite frequently :)

#194 ·
Malbec - hello! We met on tuesday at the twins club. I've not been on here for ages or i would have introduced myself / offered help etc... earlier. I only come to twins club in school hols as girls at pre-school rest of time so please feel free to DM me if you want to meet up any time or want a hand!

Tess
^daisy^

#195 ·
Hi Tess! I can't picture which twin mummy you were but I recognise your little ones in the picture - think they liked the sleeping bunnies song!! I will PM you my contact details, everyone at twins club has been v friendly, obviously it is really just for my benefit going along as the girls are so young but it is nice to have something to get out the house for  ;)  I start my postnatal group this Thursday so that will be nice too.

Mel x

#196 ·
Gosh, it's quiet on here at the moment! Thought I should just update - 20 week scan last week went well (even though Buddha - so-called because she likes sitting in a cross-legged position! - was being awkward as regards positions again. The sonographer got everything he needed in the end though) and it's 95% sure it's a pink one :)  We're OK with that - got looooooads of names to choose from! - and of course we've got all the clothes and stuff already! I am finally feeling less sick (thank goodness) and haven't actually thrown up for nearly two weeks - a record! Knackered most of the time but I think that's par for the course, especially with Jemima around ;D

How's everyone else? Jen, is your open evening this week? Heluerto, lovely to hear from you ^hugme^

Jo

#197 ·
Great news Jo!  ^pinkted^  xxx

#198 ·
Jo - fab news on scan :)

Yes its my open evening tomorrow! Can't you tell I'm still full of enthusiasm! Lol! I guess it will be a good oportunity to get any more info thath tey have negelected to tell me!

Jen x

#199 ·
Jo - glad the scan went well :)

Not much going on for me really - same old!

Kate xx

#200 ·
Hello!

I went to my open evening today. I think the evening would have been better if they worked on the system that you are referred to clinic, you are invited to attend an open evening, then have your consultation.. rather than the other way round. I would have found the evening really informative and useful had this been the case. And I still think there is information that should have been included but wasn't.

Jen x

#201 ·
Hello Ladies! Haven't been on here for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages, and don't recognise many of the names, but was just wondering if anyone is going to the Silver Star Christmas Party tomorrow? I've been roped into going (both my 2 are SS babies). I wasn't keen to go as my hubbie's abandoning me to play tennis and has volunteered me to go along with the wife of somebody he's playing tennis with.

Also wanted to say a huge ^congrats^ to Aspiring for your surprise BFP. It shows how long I haven't visited this thread, as I didn't even know you were pregnant. The same thing happened to us (natural after FT) with Zoe and she's a real delight so I hope things go well for you ^reiki^ ^reiki^ (Oh, and I don't want to upset anyone, but I have to say having 2 girls is super-brill!!)

Hope to meet some of you tomorrow. Last time I met was about 4 years ago in Rumsey's in Thame (and Katie in the Silver Star unit itself whilst she was in labour ;D )
DR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.