Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Waiting for myomectomy date

27K views 289 replies 15 participants last post by  balsora 
#1 ·
Hi ladies,

Well I've been reading the posts on this part of the site so far and I have to say you all helped me reach the decision to go for a myomectomy.  I have an intramural fibroid with a submucosal edge on the top left of my womb, its about 6-7cm but has caused me nothing but grief for over 3 yrs. Hideously heavy periods, some pain when the fibroid first showed itself but not so bad now, and my periods last atleast 10days. The last straw for me came when my xmas parties were ruined by my broid, courtesy of flooding and generally feeling like cack. I've had to have a blood transfusion once and I constantly live in fear of being severly anemic again. So enough is enough, I'm going for it. But I'm absolutely terrified!  At the moment I'm waiting for one of the consultants secretaries to contact me with a date - I'm going to be at the QE at Gateshead if anyone has had a myomectomy there?? Anyway I'm looking for all the support I can get over the coming months!

BB

#2 ·
Welcome BB, I'm soo glad you've made the decision to get your squatter evicted..... you'll not regret having your myomectomy done.
I'm only along the road in Sunderland, and had my surgery done at the Royal - and can say heart on heart, it's the best decision I have ever made....

... I notice that you've already had a couple of treatments under your belt, did you have that done at QE as well? We were sent to CfL in Newcastle.

Check out the link for everything you need to know about the surgery: http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=265805.0

And if there is anything we can do to help - thats what we're here for.
Best wishes
Sheila

#3 ·
Hi bimbobell!!

So lovely to meet you on here! I've just had my open myomectomy 6 days ago.... I was petrified the girls on here will confirm that!  :) but as Sheila has said it is the best thing you can do, and you won't regret doing it! It's so scary initially to even contemplate having surgery, but I just thought this is my chance to put things right, and if I ever got pregnant and lost the baby down to the broid then I couldn't forgive myself.

Take your time and think things over but you will be fine hun! And it will all be over then and you will feeuch better.

Lots of hugs

Bell xxx ^hugme^

#4 ·
Hi ladies

Thanks so much for your replies.

Sheila - yes we've had ICSI and FET treatments at the fertility unit at the QE, I can honestly say they have been great, all the staff there are fab. They'd initially said the fibroid wudnt be an issue but after our last failed attempt the doctor finally mentioned going down the myomectomy route.  They had wanted me to try another FET before surgery but after another 2 hideous periods I've had enough. I just hope it makes a difference - TMI alert! - at the mo on my heaviest days or when flooding I can got throu a super plus extra tampon in 45 mins which is not normal. Anything better than that has got to be an improvement.

Belle - 6 days post surgery, wow! You sound like you're doing well, I hope I feel as good after my surgery.  I guess for me, much the same as many of the posts I've seen, it's the fear of the unknown and also  petrified of being in agony after the op.

Anyway, lovely to hear from you both!

BB

#5 ·
Hi Bimbobell

You have made the right choice to have a myomectomy.  Like you the last straw came for me in August when I lost so much blood during my period that I had to be hospitalised and given 4 units of blood. 

I had my myomectomy in November and have just finished my first period post op.  Lasted 5 days and the period was so light.  Having heavy periods you begin to think that is normal which it is not and unless someone has sufferred them they will never know the hardship and embarrassment we have to go through each month.  Like you I had to change pads every 30 to 60 mins and I was forever looking out for leakage  ^eyes^ :'(

We will be here to answer your questions.  The thought of a myo is much worse than having one and what the heck it is so nice to sit back and do nothing afterwards and let yourself be pampered.

I hope you don't have to wait too long for your surgery.

Sima x

#6 ·
Hi Sima,

I know exactly what u mean, its a constant worry during the heaviest days that you've leaked  ^eyes^ . Not much fun at all and I have to do something to sort it out.

I have to say I really appreciate the replies I've had, it just proves to me that I've made the right decision.  Hopefully I'll be able to tell u all soon what my surgery date will be :eek:!!

BB

#7 ·
Hi chick....

I think the petrified state may stay until you wake up the other side, an you realise that actually this is not that bad at all!!!  That was completely my reaction.... the girls all told me i'd be fine, and that this is how I would feel after...but my negative thoughts kept saying "yeah but what if???" honestly its so exhausting thinking about it, your mind cant switch off.  I really wish I could put your mind at rest as I know what your feeling right now, and so do the rest of the girls on here...

I came round from the operation and I felt ACE!! honestly I was so relieved it was done, I was just happy happy happy!!  I felt alittle period pain, and that was all..... but it wasnt really painful ..... just like a dull ache, I pressed my Morphine button and I was ACE again!! lol.... ;D ;D

If they had told me before...nah you dont really need it doing!!! I'd have been gone in a jiffy!!!  I am a real wimp! But it was fine, and here I am talking to you....

You will be ok....take care hun..

Bell ^hugme^  ^hugme^  ^hugme^ xxxxx

#8 ·
Hi Bell,

I know exactly what u mean, even thou I've made the decision to go for the op it feels like its all I think about or rather worry about!  I just can't switch off! I'll have sent myself loopy by the time the op comes around!  ;D ;D

I'm looking forward to the relief afterwards!

BB

#9 ·
When will you find out the day it will be done? Very exciting! Try not to worry you will be ok! Xxx

#10 ·
Well the nurse said it was in the hands of the surgeons secretaries so I guess because of Christmas I probably won't hear until after the hols. Will let u all know as soon as I hear anything.  Until then Merry Christmas!!

#11 ·
Bimbobell - hope that the New Year can get you the hot date you want - wishing you and all the lovely ladies here all the very best for Christmas and hope soo much that the New year can get you a step further to realising your dreams.

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas - thanks for all your input, support and encouragement over the year.... here's to a happier, optimistic 2012 for everyone.
Luv n hugs to everyone
Sheila

#12 ·
Hi BB & Sheila..... ^hugme^

Wishing you both a lovely relaxing time...although I cant imagine its realxing at all with your beautiful one Sheila!! ;D ;D

As for you BB..... Im sure come Jan you will be on the phone pushing for that date!!!  Lots of shopping for those big pants and mints!! It will come soon enough, once over you can then get one with living...

Take care both

Bell  ^hugme^ ^hugme^
xxx

#13 ·
Hi Bimbobell!  Scary as the prospect of MAJOR (I like to point out its major bc so many pp around me thought it was a 10 min job! Lol) surgery was it really truly was the best decision ever!!! I got my first period bang on time 2 weeks post op and it lasted 3 days!!!! My last couple have been 4 days and I've not had to wear a tampon once. Pre-op I would spot for a week, heavy bleed for a week and spot for a week. The first few days I was going thru a super in an hour or 2. So you can imagine my delight at 4 NORMAL days! I don't know how I thought 3 weeks of periods was normal before lol And I haven't had any period pains!  I only wish I had gone to the dr earlier and had this sorted years ago!!!

#14 ·
Hi Journey and all you lovely ladies,

I so can't wait for next year to come around because hopefully I can get rid of this awful fibroid, get my life back to normal and get the BFP me and my husband have been trying for!

I still haven't heard anything from the hospital but I'm not concerned as its been holidays so I doubt anything will be done til next week at the earliest.

Once again, thanks so much for all of your comments, it really does prove I'm doing the right thing.

And  ^party^ HAPPY NEW YEAR  ^party^

#15 ·
Ladies just wanted to send you all my very best wishes for 2012....I hope that the new year at the very least brings you a step closer to realising your dreams.  I know a certain wonderful FF lady has had an extra special celebration this Christmas,

Bimbobell, you could always ring your consultants secretary and see if there are any cancellations. 

I'm looking forward to a final blow out tonight as the diet starts tomorrow...am very surprised my bmi is below 30 - I look and feel HUGEEEE - sending each and everyone huge hugs for a happy new year xx
Sheila

#16 ·
Hi BB, exactly right!!! What have you got to loose with having the op... Only everything to gain!! Good luck with it all, you won't need it but just wanted to send you my hugs and wishes from sunny Birmingham!! And no I don't speak funny! Lol... Well that's what I think!!

Happy New Year 2012 Sheila and the gang!! It's going to be amazing!! I can just feel it in my uterus  ;D ;D
^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Lots of love to you all

Bell xxxxxxxxx ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

#17 ·
Hi Ladies,

Well I've got my surgery date, 7th March!!!! Eeeeeek! Also have to go for a zoladex injection on 7th Feb.  Can honestly say I'm completely cacking myself, but in a good way if that's possible!

Anyway, just thought I'd update you on my progress.

BB

#19 ·
YAY!!! Bimbobell... ^hugme^

Thats great news!!  Sounds like a solid date to me...one you wont forget!!  Just think of the lovely rest you will have afterwards...im in week 4 at the moment, and enjoying the rest!!  Have you been shopping yet for your things? If not great excuse to go..xx

Miss Tee - how you doing? Are you looking forward to going back to work soon?

Love

Bell xxx ^hugme^ xxx

#20 ·
I've probably got one question at this point - anyone had zoladex injection before their op? Did you have any side effects? Also little concerned I'm only having 1 injection, thought it may have been normal to have more than 1???

#21 ·
Bimbobell - great news on your op date - with just the one injection, it's unlikely you'll get the full force of the side effects - most women don't notice any symptoms til after the second shot. ....its fab that you're cacking yourself in a good way - and of course it goes without saying that all of us lovely ladies will be here anytime you need anything hun.
Sheila

#22 ·
Thanks for the replies ladies. Glad I'm only having the one zoladex injection now, don't **** the sound of the side effects!

Well big knicker shopping here I come, also need to get some more jogging bottoms and nighties - any excuse to go shopping  ;D

It'll soon be time for that nasty broid to go bye bye ^bigbad^

BB

#23 ·
Hey Bimbobell,
I doubt that one course of Zoladex will cause huge amounts of shrinkage, but bare in mind that another reason for the administration of this is to make the broids less vascular and therefore reduce blood loss.  I suspect that might have been a contributory reason for these being prescribed to you.  Trust me, the side effects are not great - I'm still suffering from the hot flushes, but living in hope that they will disappear soon!

Ha ha...Bluebelle, I am actually back to work tomorrow!!!! ^scared^ ^scared^ ^scared^ ^scared^  I seriously cannot believe how quickly the six weeks has gone by!  But I am ready for it I think.  I will be doing alternate days for at least the next couple of weeks, with one day in the office and one day working from home so hopefully it wont be too bad.  Will keep you posted!!!!  How are you feeling now hun????

xx

#24 ·
Ohh Miss Tee, how are you getting on hun - hope you don't wear yourself out too much
Sheila

#25 ·
Hi Bimbobell,

I got my huge pants from marks, they are great, I went up a size too just incase, and so glad I did! The stomach well..... It's a bit of a shock when you first see it bloated... Poor tummy...!! But it soon comes down. I'm now 4 weeks post op, and my tummy is much flatter, and I wore my jeans for the first time yesterday.. Yay!! I'm so glad I did it... And you will be too!! ;D

As for nighties, there are some lovely ones out there, don't forget your slippers... You want to look your best all matching :)) xxx

Injections wise... I only had 2 but they did the trick, and I lost very little blood during surgery, and my broids did reduce quite a bit in size, so made it much easier to remove. Good luck with it all Hun.. Xxx ^hugme^

Miss Tee, 6 weeks have flown by!! It will be nice to get back to normal and in a routine... Hope you feel ok and not over doing it! Xxx take care Hun xx

#26 ·
Hi Belle,

Thanks for the tips, gonna go knicker shopping in next few weeks - I'm sure my husband will love them!!! Proper passion killers!

I have freaked myself out a little though as just rang the IVF unit as the Gateshead QE where I'm having the op and I asked how many of these procedures they do - the answer was 3-4 a year as they advised its a rarer operation!  ^scared^ That freaked me out a bit!  but I'm sure they must know what they're doing or they wouldn't have offered the operation in the first place - I hope!

God, roll on 7th March as I can't keep torturing myself!

BB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.