* Author Topic: QE- open evening and treatment option for low motility?  (Read 2851 times)

0 Members

Offline Hopingitwill

Hi everyone- I am new to all this do forgive my lack  of knowledge. Was hoping someone could tell me what to expect. Have been referred to QE Gateshead following DH SA. He came back with 22 mil in 3 ml (hope I have the units correct) with 10% exhibiting normal morphology. His motility was 26% though when we were advised it should be 50%. How bad is this? would iui still be an option or would it be IVF? I have had ultrasound done at hospital following an 87 day cycle ( normally they are regular between 29-33 days) and results said tubes and uterus appeared normal. I don't temp due to erratic sleeping patterns but I do use cbfm and most months cbopk. My factor has asked me to go and give day21 blood whilst waiting for referral to come through. This us on 10th of Jan. I have had first appointment through for QE which is on 25th Jan. What should I expect and what happens at the open evening I have heard we need to attend. Sorry for all the questions. Although I most prob won't be able to offer you guys knowledge and advice I will try my best to offer you support in your journey.

Offline Bella4

Hi Hopingitwill

I'm also undergoing tx art QE at the moment. My DH has a very low sperm count 0.1 million but we were told motility and morphology are fine. I had my 21 day bloods taken at my GP before the referral. Our first appointment was 1st Dec, we had no idea what to expect either but don't worry everyone there is lovely. we took a walk round the hospital at one point and everyone kept asking if we were lost and if they could help, we just kept thinking that wouldn't happen at our local hosital  :)
We were at the hospital for a total of 4hours, (none of the consent forms were sent to our address so we needed to spend time filling them in - but they did provide tea and toast as we were starving by this time).
First we both had blood taken, then the consultant came and explained everything that will happen throughout the tx (although I'd read most of it on-line anyway) Then I was taken for an internal scan - totally wasn't expecting this. Even more surprising after the scan the nurse asked if I would rather do injection or nasal spray (I chose injections) and 5 minutes later she reappeared with our start dates and gave us a bag of needles.
I was expecting to have to attend an open evening as well but it was never mentioned at our appointment so I'm unable to help you on that point. Sorry.
I don't think appointments usually last 4 hours as the nurse said it felt as though we had been there all day when we were on our way out.
Hope this helps you if I can be of any more help just ask.
Good luck with your tx. x x

Offline Wonder37

Hi Hopingitwill,

I'm currently on 2ww after our first IVF treatment at the QE.  Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice on your DH condition.  I can however, say that we attended an information evening in September which I would recommend that you attend.  You probably won't remember everything ( I didn't!) but you have an opportunity at the end of the session to speak to the Consultants, Embryologist and the Nurses.  They are a great team at the QE and I wish you every success on your journey xx

Offline Hopingitwill

Hi Bella
Thank you so much for your reply. I have also been referred for day 21 bloods before my actual appointment and I will be doing these next Tuesday 15 days before my appointment do hopefully I will have the results of these by then. I have already had an internal ultrasound done last summer as my cycle stopped for 3 months. They couldn't see anything from that. Apart fromtjis my periods are normally berween 29-32 days. I have been asked to take s urine sample with me. Can you tell me was your appointment at the womans health clinic ( am just worried the secretary that does referrals at my gp has messed up as they already referred me to the wrong clinic and had to rearrange the QE one!).  It says the appointment is with mr Deshpande. Who are you with? I hope you dont mind me asking but when do you start your treatment and are you private or nhs? Just wondering about waiting times! It's great to hear that they were so nice to you. I was originally going to get referred to cfl but I had met a nurse who went for ivf there and she said given the choice she would pick QE because of it being smaller and more personalized which I prefer. I hope it means I will see the same consultants for continuity of care! So what is the nasal spray/ injections for- excuse ignorance I am still very new to all this! Is great to be able to speak to someone that is undergoing the journey at a similar tome and in the same place. Good luck and would be great to stay in touch. Hope you get your bfp soon!

Offline Hopingitwill

Hi wonder
Fx that your tx has been a success and houbara rewarded with a bfp at the end of your 2ww. Who was your consultant- as I mentioned in my post to Bella I am worried they have referred me to the wrong department and instead if fertility unit they have sent me to womans health clinic! Fx they havnt. How soon after your first appointment was the open evening. Sorry again if this is personal but have you hone private or on nhs- just if it is nhs I am impressed at how quickly you have hot tx as I have heard horror stories of waiting times.
Thanks and gl again!

Offline Wonder37

Hi Hopingitwill,

Is it that you are getting your day 21 blood test done at the Women's Health Clinic?

The open evening we attended was on the 13th Sept and my appointment with Mr Aird was on the 22nd Sept.  I was supposed to start D/R on 3rd Oct but needed to go into hospital for another laparoscopy after discussion at consultation on 22nd with Mr Aird.  Had laparoscopy and left tube clipped on 10th Oct and started D/R on 14th Nov.

I'm lucky enough to be receiving treatment on the nhs.

Xx

Offline Hopingitwill

Hi wonder- thanks for your quick reply. No getting my blood done on the 10th jan at my local hospital. My doctor said he would put my referral for fertility clinic through to gateshead ( she said they have administrators in the surgery who process it). The next thing I know I am getting a referral for south shields hospital. I then phoned back to the doctors and explained that I had asked for QE and it is my patient rights to get referred there. She then canceled the appointment at south shields and said she would rearrange it fir Gateshead. The letter I got a few days letter then said that an appointment has been made at the womans health centre at windy nook entrance gate c with mr deshpande or a member of his team. It doesn't tell me anything else except to bring a urine sample and to arrive 10 min early for registration details. I concerned the stupid administrator has messed up again and booked us in for the wrong place as I don't know if the fertility centre is located here or is a separate unit!!!! This ttc is stressful enough without allthis additional worry! This is why I want clarification if they ate the same place. Think I will phone up to tomorrow to put my mind at rest. I havnt received any info about open evening either so will ask about this. did your letter state for your partner to come cause mine says nothing about that either! Sorry for all questions but worried that I am going to be delayed another 5 weeks waiting for an appointment!

Offline Bella4

Hi Hopingitwill

I'd had scans done at my local hospital but they done them again at QE. I also had my referral messed up as they never received the letter from our local hospital but after I contacted them they gave us an appointment for 2 weeks later as at the moment they have got much of a waiting list.
We seen consultant Mr Isaac Evbuomwan for our appointment, I've looked at the list of staff we were given and Mr Vai Deshpande is on that list so it looks as though you've been referred to the right place, however the womens clinic and fertility unit do seem to be at different parts of the hospital so you could try to contact them just to make sure  :)
We too are lucky enough to be receiving treatment on NHS, our first appointment at QE was on 1st Dec and I started my down regging injections on 23rd Dec, so it happened a lot quicker than I was expecting. The injections are to put the body into a menopausal state before they start stimulating the ovaries, if you don't like needles you can use nasal spray. I was never asked to take a urine sample and have never provided one.
Our letters never said anything about my DH, they were all addressed to me but you will both need to go to the appointment.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you like, I know how you feel - I will try to answer if I can.

^hugme^

Offline Hopingitwill

I will definately phone them tomorrow for my own peace of mind. I can't believe how quickly you have started treatment Bella - it is so good! How long do you have to be on the injections for then? Is there any difference between them an the nasal spray- injections just sound a bit more painful!! What happens after that? How long until the actual ivf day? ( don't know the terminology). I can only hope that if the go has messed up that they accommodate us as quickly. At least I have the relief that his name is at least on your list!

Offline Wonder37

Hi Hopingitwill,

The Fertility Unit is located within the Jubilee Wing.  Best to check your details when you give the hospital a call.
I was also reading your message to Bella, I was on injections.  As much as I have been terrified of them all of my life....I opted for them over the nasal spray.  The needles are very fine and you cannot really feel them.  The length of time you will be on the injections/nasal spray will depend on how you are responding to them.  This applies to the D/R and the stims.  Also, the dates for your scans and treatments rely on your response to the injections/nasal spray.

Hope this helps!

X

Free Butterfly PIN

Butterfly Pin

Everyone who donates gets a free discreet butterfly pin.
Many of our members are using these to help spot each other at clinics and group meetups!

* Search

Recent Topics

Suggested Reads!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal