Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Hull IVF Clinic vs Sheffield CARE

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Mandy39 
#1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering if you could give me some help/advice!?!

I've previously been on the list at Hull IVF Clinic, in October 2008, but unfortunately before treatment even started myself and my partner split. We are now back together (been nearly 2 years) and are currently planning our wedding for next April  :) We have had many discussions over the last 6 months, and have agreed (only last night - eek so excited!) that we should go back on the list - neither of us are getting any younger (I turn 30 in 2 weeks  :()

Anyway, we will be looking to go back on the list in March/April time (as we have a holiday in Oz booked, so want to wait till after that) but was just wondering if you lovely ladies could give me any helpful advice about which clinic to be refered to?? Can I be refered to Sheffield even though I live closer to Hull?? Is Sheffield better than Hull!?!? I'm so confused with statistics on their websites, that I'm not sure which is best!?! Or if you have any other clinic suggestions - all advice greatfully received  :)

Good luck to all you lovely ladies out there  :) Its a tough journey but its one we all have to go on to achieve our ultimate goal  ^hugme^

Take care

Rach x

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Rach

I've read your other posts and totally understand where you are coming from.  I think we all find other people's pregnancies hard regardless of how we handle things.

In terms of clinics I think you are able to ask to be referred to a specific clinic, though I'm not 100% on that. I thought that these days people had the ability to choose were they want to go to have NHS treatment of any sort.

I had my tx through Hull Clinic and can happily recommend it. Because it is a small clinic the staff get to know you really well, to the point that when you walk in the admin staff recognise you and wave for you to sit down as they don't need you tell them who you are.  I also know that the Hull Clinic has recently had success rates of 50% which is pretty fantastic compared to the national average.  The nurses are very caring and they are the ones who do most of the procedures. You're in good hands there. If you want to know any more details about the clinic feel free to PM me.

You could always see if you can have a visit to the clinics you are considering and ask for a look around to see if they "feel right" for you.

Good luck on your journey whatever clinic you choose.  I hope this year brings you what you dream of.

Claire
^hugme^

#3 ·
Hello,

I just wanted to second what poppet had said regarding the hull Ivf unit.

I would totally recommend it too after having two cycles of Ivf there both resulting in BFP and find the whole team so friendly and supportive even after my latest BFP resulted in a miscarriage every 1 was so supportive and sorry for my loss it wasn't like they where harden to it like I know some nurses are and show no degree of compassion they where great. I'm due to start a fet and again like both of my Ivf cycles I haven't had to wait I just call with next period. You will have to have all the initial test again if you had then te first time round as it would of been out of date my now but there is no waiting list I hull either so wouldn't be long til you started you tx. Hope wherever you decide to go you get the right care and are happy with te clinic. Good luck and take care xx

#4 ·
Hi Rach, I don't know enough about the two clinics statistics to say which has the best success rate, but having just gone through my 1st IVF cycle I would say to def go to the one closest to where you live, as you will be back and forward there so many times during the cycle (for blood tests and scans etc as well as the egg collection and embryo transfer) it will be so much easier and less stressful to have a shorter journey.  I live in Sheffield and there's no way I would have wanted to be driving up and down to Hull all the time!!  It sounds from the others that Hull is a good one anyway, so I'd go for there myself.  Good luck!

#5 ·
Hi
Just thought I would add my experience as it may help.

We went to Hull for and initially after our first diagnosis and found them, Prof Killick especially, absolutely fabulous, he was so helpful to us. We were gutted that we could not have our tx there (as they didn't have available donor sperm at the time we needed it) and we were referred to Care, Sheffield where as you can see we have had several txs (only 1 IUI, one IVF and one IVF that turned to ICSI were there, the other IUIs were in Leicester) but the final one ending with the joy that is our little boy. We are now starting tx again Care privately. We found Care Sheffield to be brilliant (and also went to Nottingham for EC/ET as Sheffield didn't offer sedation). It is a small clinic and very informal and personal, we haven't experienced anyone that hasn't been great. I am on the phone to them lots too!!!

If Hull could have done our tx I would have been delighted to go there  but as they couldn't we would highly recommend Care too.

Best of luck

#6 ·
Hi
Couple of my friends have been to Sheffield care and had fab treatment there staff were lovely etc! 
I've done Leeds seacroft wouldn't reccomend them and I've gone to jessops Sheffield only a small unit and they are well above average!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.