* Author Topic: BLAST FET 1 OR 2??  (Read 2555 times)

0 Members

Offline Star Sparkle

modify
BLAST FET 1 OR 2??
« on: 18/03/12, 20:58 »
hi i am just wondering if anyone can advise me on whether to transfer one or two embryos?? at present my embryos are frozen at proneuclear due to severe OHSS, hoping once they thaw they will make it to blast, my doctor has recommended we only transfer one due to my age and success rate, but do frozen transfers not do as well?? or what is the chances of both of them splitting again?? any help would be much appreciated thanks

Online hbkmorris

• Gold Member
  • Please make me a mummy x
modify
Re: BLAST FET 1 OR 2??
« Reply #1 on: 19/03/12, 13:38 »
Star Sparkle

Hello, I've just read your post and thought I'd make a comment.

I'm not sure how old you are and I note this is your first cycle, if your under 36 most & at a NHS hospital/clinic they normally only like to transfer 1 unless there poor quality. I know that if your a private patient at a private clinic then it's pretty much upto you and they will only advise 1 or 2.

Personally I wanted 2 on my first cycle but as i was under 36 although paying private at an NHS hospital, that my embryo's were top quality at day 3 they would only allow me to have SET and freeze 2. My time cycle I made it to blasts and wanted 2 transfered regardless and would so again.

What I think i'm trying to say is, if your young and healthy and you've produced good quality embryo's that go onto blasts then I would take the advice of the clinic. If on the other hand you really aren't worried about the possibility of twins, it's health concerns etc then I would go for 2.

It really is a personal decision and only you can make it. I've had frozen embies and taken them to blast but they didn't make very good grades but if they had of thawed ok I would of still gone for two.

Good luck in what ever you chose.. only you know what's best for you.

Take Care Hx   

Offline Star Sparkle

modify
« Reply #2 on: 19/03/12, 19:06 »
hi hbkmorris

thanks for getting back to me i am 31 years old, yeh they have suggested i only put back one due to my age but if i wanted two then they made me aware that the embryos may split again and i could end up with quads ideally i would luv twins but defo dont want anymore than that, not sure what the percentage is of those that split do you know is it rare??. I have endo + pco so not sure if that had an impact on my 1st FET not working and the cyclogest made me extremely bloated so next time they are going to try the gel or injections. I am just terrified to do the whole process again because i was extremely ill will OHSS although they have said they will tailor my drugs better next time and hopefully i will get a fresh transfer next time, there plan is to take them to blast but if they look as though they arent doing so well they will replace them on day 3. Do you know if Frozen embryos taken to blast are just as good as fresh blast embryos?? sorry so many questions my heart is telling me to put 2 back but my head is saying 1 because of the risk of triplets or quads...yeh this cycle is with the NHS they did advise me on putting 2 back when i did a 2 day transfer but think i should only put one back if we manage to get blasts, think i should just bite the bullet and do two.  ;D ;D

Online hbkmorris

• Gold Member
  • Please make me a mummy x
modify
« Reply #3 on: 19/03/12, 21:13 »
Ha ha ha it's a mind field isn't it.

I'd go for two and the chances of them splitting aren't really that high so GO FOR IT..

I had 2 top grade 3 day embies which I took to blast but they wasn't great grades so thawed my two blasts instead which turned out ok but again only 90% re-expanded at the time of transfer. If i'm honest I believe it's all to do with the actual quality of the egg & sperm in the first place that makes all the difference.. As your young I'm sure there top quality.. I'm 37 nearly 38 with old dodgy eggs now!!!!

Take Care & Good Luck.. if you need anything you know where I am xx

Offline Star Sparkle

modify
« Reply #4 on: 19/03/12, 22:18 »
thanks you so much, yeh my eggs i think are fine but my dh has dodgy sperm  ;D ;D why cant life be simple  :P :P yip i am going to take your advice and tell them i want 2 put back may as well just go for it and deal with the consequences later  ;D ;D you sure are right its a great big mind field, think once the frosties are out the freezer we will just need to take it one day at a time in hopefully some will survive and divide appropriately, well you take care and was lovely speaking to you  ^hugme^

Offline drownedgirl

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #5 on: 25/03/12, 21:07 »
We had two fets, transferring blasts grown from embryos frozen at 2pn stage

First fet - 2 transferred - twins
Second fet - 1 transferred, singleton

Now I know more about he health risks of twins, I wouldn't transfer two if I had the choice again. I feel very blessed it all worked out

There are quite a few on the multiples board who have Id twins from eset or triplets from dual transfer - I would say there are 5 or 6 women in those categories? Maybe more with the triplets, most triplets on ff come from transferring just two embryos

Good luck anyway!

Offline Star Sparkle

modify
« Reply #6 on: 25/03/12, 21:35 »
thanks drownedgirl, i will take a wee look on the board and see what i can find, yip i no there can be problems with twins just so hard to make a decision but think i am going to risk it and go for 2 due to being really sick with OHSS i really do not want to repeat the full process again, how many weeks were your twins when they were born?? and where there weights ok?? my really good friend had twins at 30 wks were 2lbs and 2.5lbs but luckly they done great and no problems with either of them they are 4 now...but anyway going to have a wee read at the multiples board thank you

Offline drownedgirl

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #7 on: 25/03/12, 21:49 »
My twins were fine, but I was so terrified the whole,pregnancy. Having had 7 miscarriages previously, and having a friend whose daughter was born T 24+0, I was convinced something terrible would happen, and sadly sometimes it does.

Obviously I love my twins to bits, but if I had properly understood the risks, I would have planned on ding the transfers one at a time.

Free Butterfly PIN

Butterfly Pin

Everyone who donates gets a free discreet butterfly pin.
Many of our members are using these to help spot each other at clinics and group meetups!

* Search

Recent Topics

Suggested Reads!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal