Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Natural IVF with low success rate VS. Standart IVF and risk my own health?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sugarpielaura 
#1 ·
Hello FF friends,

I have a big dillema in my hand. I am due to start my first IVF cycle. I have very low AMH (0.9) due to endo ops I had last year. My doctor gave me two treatment options but I cannot decide which one is the best for me. One option is going ahead with standart IVF using stimulating drugs, there is a big chance I might no respond to the drugs at all due to low AMH, more importantly I would be taking a big risk having the endo back. The second option he gave me is doing a natural cycle IVF which doesn't use stimming drugs, work with the one egg you produce. He suggests that it's a less risky option and the quality of the egg would better than the ones I'd produce with the stimmed IVF. But the success rate is a lot lower, around 10%.

I am confused as I definately don't want to re-live all the pain I suffered from endometriosis but with the natural IVF the success chance is very low. I need to make a decision until the end of this week and I keep changing my mind  ^idiot^

How did IVF affected your endometriosis? Did it get worse with the stimulating drugs? Are there any natural IVF success stories out there?

Many thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Starfish77

Not sure how much help i can be....

I have/had severe Endo and i too was concerned about the stims drugs as i had had clomid earlier in my journey and was awful (altho it was before endo was discovered)

Prior to my stims i had a long down reg (6 months normally only 3 but it was too risky to stop before stims for me) then had stims towards end of stimming i had pain on ovaries but then so did my cycle buddies so not forced to be endo, i got a BFP

2nd cycle i had a longer d/r to prevent af and again i never had any effects not any ovary pain either

Each and every one of us are different though

I have never had an AMH only FSH testing also on my 2nd cycle i stimmed for 31 days

Thats just my experience and not sure if its helpful or not

Donna Marie

#3 ·
Hi Starfish77,

Sorry to hear that you have had such a difficult time. Like donna, I can only give you my experience.

I have severe endo which has resulted in a bowel resection and ileostomy. I found clomid put me in agony,although I didn't know I had endo at this time. I don't ovulate on my own so have no option but to have a medicated ivf cycle.

My endo is very much still active and I'd be lying if I said the meds didn't put me in pain. However,it was manageable and I know there are many others who are fine during stimms. My latest MRI showed endo active and spreading. This is my only way to conceive and was told that a bit of pain was a "necessary evil".

Not sure if this helps.

Xx

#4 ·
Hello ladies,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stories...

Yesterday I saw my endometriosis consultant (who did my operations last year) to get his opinion about natural vs. standart IVF and he assured me that there is no harm in doing the standart IVF. He said there is no proof that IVF drugs make endo worse. He also said DHEA is an an androgynous hormone and therefore wouldn't effect endo either. And since I haven't tried the standart IVF he suggested I start with that and see how I response with my very low AMH. So, I decided to start my IVF journey with standart IVF. I feel better that now I have his support to try stimmed IVF.

love and peace,

#5 ·
Hiya,

That's great news. Good luck.

Xx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.