Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Age 22 - Not ovulating regularly or at all...

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Assamaam 
#1 ·
Hi there
I'm new to this site, feeling a bit frustrated and in the dark at the moment.
My Husband and myself have been TTC for about a year now, and I decided a little while ago to go to the doctors as my periods have never ever been regular, the doctor did a blood test to check my hormone levels (All fine) and I had a ultrasound done of my ovaries to check for PCOS, all clear. She then said there is nothing more they will do for me now, as at my age I need to have been trying for longer to me transferred to a fertility clinic, so I have to wait another year to even find out what the underlying problem is.
I think I may ovulate sometimes, but never been sure, so now I have a fertility monitor to try and see if I am
I just was wondering if anyone else has the same issue, or some advice, and I just want to talk to someone about it, as the doctor isn't giving me any more information
Thanks
Hope you're all having a great day
Amy

#2 ·
Knowing what I know now - I would say pay for a private consultation just in case.  Use the monitor and get the book taking charge of your fertility and start charting progress.  Learn everything you can about your cycle.

#4 ·
Hi mystery....
I had the same problem from the age of 19.....they like you to tru for 2 years on the nhs...however there is no reason why you cant be refered to fert doctor for tests to find out what's going on or even a gyne doctor....
The gp should be able to do the blood test to see if your at least ovulating....
if no luck it sounds aweful try a different doctor at the surgery....
Most nhs wont pay for ivf/iui til your 23......

Good luck xxx

#5 ·
Hi. I know how you feel. I have been with my husband for 6 years and when we first went to our GP they would go out of their way to make sure we were fobbed off or not referred because of our age. I knew something was wrong even before we officially started trying because we pretty much never used protection the 3 years before we started trying but never got pregnant. I eventually got a blood test which confirmed that I wasn't ovulating and was told I had DUB and every time that I bled between periods it meant that I didn't ovulate that cycle, which was about 8 out of 12 times for the year. But they still would not refer me and I honestly think it was because of my age and the fact that I look about 16. I eventually moved to a different GP and my husband suggested instead of saying we tried for a year just tell them that we were trying since we got together which would have been 4 years. They then finally took us seriously. I don't know if your solution could also be to change GPs and start again or if that is too much effort. Some drs are more willing to refer than others. Or if you will probably have to go private as some clinics take patients who have self referred themselves. But the least that they could do for you is offer you some clomid. Good luck with your TTC and I hope you manage to get your referral.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.