Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Failed FET

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Hopefulash 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate some help. My doctor is away so I'm hoping to get some answers off here. I had hydrosalpinx on both tubes, during my laparoscopy in September 2012, both tubes were made patent. I had ivf nine months later and conceived my son in January 2014. This month, I had an FET with perfect lining and excellent 3AA blastocyst and unfortunately it didn't work. Exactly one week after transfer I had terrible cramping for a couple of hours, which at the time, assumed it was implantation. I had a Hycosy in April of last year to check my tubes were still patent, which they are. My question is, is it possible to have toxic fluid recur if your tubes are patent? Have any of you taken antibiotics/ other medications before or during ivf?

I'd really appreciate knowing anyone else's experiences with FET? The doctor told me it's strange to have an embryo not take from the same selection that has previously worked. Now I have one FET left and hoping to take all necessary precautions.

#2 ·
Hi,

If you see my history and all the bfn I have been advised to get my one remaining tube clipped or removed.

I also had hydro unblocked and even though it has shown to not reoccur I'm not taking any more chances.

Two clinics I'm under have both advised to get it sorted before next go.

Xx

#4 ·
I have an appointment next month so hopefully in the next few months. Gives me chance to get fit and healthy and my mindset right!

It can diminish your chances by 50% I have read by keeping the tube and read many success stories after having removed!! Xx

#5 ·
Hi hopefulash,

I'm sorry your FET didn't work.

It absolutely is possible for a hydro to come and go even if the damaged tube is patent.

My tubes were patent on HSG - they are very badly damaged due to an appendix abscess & I had no possibility of natural conception, the HSG was only done to exclude hydro pre-IVF. Following stimms a hydro had developed in my right tube. It was gone 4 months later.

I was given doxycycline from the time of EC and did conceive after transfer of 3 blasts but miscarried. The fluid can be toxic & I would not have transferred with a hydro again.

If you have any suspicion of intermittent hydrosalpinx in your tubes, look into getting them clipped, removed or sealed off hysteroscopically before your next transfer.

B xxx

#7 ·
Hi hopefulash,

I wasn't able to get my tube removed or clipped due to my previous abdominal surgery, however my hydro only swelled up during stimms, probably triggered by the hormones, & went away between IVFs.

I succeeded with DE which allowed me to get to transfer without a hydro. I never had a FET as our first clinic in Cyprus didn't have vitrification so we didn't freeze the surplus blasts, but if yours is causing trouble on a FET too I would get it sorted before trying again.

B xxx

#8 ·
Hi there,

I had tubal surgery in Sept 2013 to clear my tubes and in April 2014, they were full again of hydro, so I had them removed. I started my first IVF 8 weeks later. Unfortunately this didn't work. I've since been diagnosed with high NK cells/cytokines because of the inflammation that the damage caused, so I'm currently getting this sorted out before my next cycle. My advice is definitely get the tubes clipped or removed.

Boo x

#9 ·
another removal fan here too, my first fet after removal was successful after 20+ years of infertility. The problems with hydros is they are silent and can hide themselves very well whilst still causing toxic damage to those fine hairs in the tubes needed to guide an egg on it's journey, tbh removal is very often best way x

#10 ·
Hello ladies. As you can see from my signature, i had a perfect cycle and a bfn. The only possible problem which crossed my mind was my sleepy left tube. So, laparoscopy right away to check the tube. It never showed anything on scans or hysteroscopy, but it was so damageg that the doctor could not even clip it but had to do coagulation as it started to bleed the second he touched it. He definitely said that nothing would have worked out with that tube.

I dont know if my fet will work (i really hope and pray it does), but at least now i know i have corrected one problem.

#11 ·
Thank you for your responses,

I've just been to my doctor who did my first lap and she found hydrosalpinx in my left tube during the ultrasound she gave me. When I do the laparoscopy, shall I have both tubes removed/ cut? Is it better to have removal than have them cut? I didn't enjoy the recovery process of the last lap, it was pretty terrible.

How is everyone getting on after tubal removal and IVF?

#12 ·
Well at least you found the problem, hopefully. I would not advise a simple cut based on my experience, as i has another ectopic in the cutted tube. My laparoscopy experience was fine. I had a bit of pain from the gas and my hand hurts still due to the vains (they are very thin and tend to get ruptured from needles). Even the scared are not really visible :).

Good luck and fx

#13 ·
Hi hopefulash,

My advice would be to either get the tubes removed, or if this is not possible get them clipped to seal off the hydrosalpinx fluid.

good luck,

B xxx

#14 ·
Hi hopefulash, my removal was keyhole so recovery was about a week, I had painkillers for few days but I soon ditched them as pain was fairly minimal, I got pg first fet after removal with twins so well worth it  :)

#15 ·
That's so lovely to hear, Blondie 71 congratulations. I have to persuade my doctor to remove the tubes as she wants to just cut them. Do you think it is possible to have tubes removed and have FET in the same cycle or next cycle? I was also wondering what happens when they remove the tubes, do they put stitches at the opening of the uterus and does this have any nock-on effects? I read somewhere that it reduces blood circulation to the ovaries, so when stimming for IVF, you may not produce as many eggs?

#17 ·
Hi Hopefulash,

That's great news, best of luck for your surgery and next IVF cycle!

B xxx

#18 ·
Hiya I waited 4 months to go for my FET just to make sure I had recovered, removal shouldn't affect or damage ovary blood supply etc but they have to tell you it's one of the risk factors same as in any op tbh, it's extremely rare and you'd have to be very very unlucky! Ovary removal (oopherectomy sp?) which you are NOT having is what would turn ovary production off and put you in menopause so don't panic and be hopeful cos you're on your way now  :)

#19 ·
Hello again ladies,

I had a biopsy of my tubes done after their removal and they found a cyst inside my left tube. She could only explain to me that this has nothing to do with hydrosalpinx, can anyone elaborate? I have done all sorts of research and can't find anything on cyst within the falopian tube without hydrosalpinx coming up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.