* Author Topic: TTC with PGD ~ Part 3!  (Read 45447 times)

0 Members

Offline Gab1

• Un-Ranked
modify
TTC with PGD ~ Part 3!
« Reply #920 on: 20/04/17, 21:58 »
Thank you Carrie!
Hopefully this time it will work for you.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline flossybear

modify
    TTC with PGD ~ Part 3!
    « Reply #921 on: 20/04/17, 23:14 »
    Nightmare with the trains Carrie  >:( glad you got there in the end X
    But more importantly great stuff on the transfer, fingers crossed for you  ^hugme^ ^pray^

Offline Nicnik

modify
    TTC with PGD ~ Part 3!
    « Reply #922 on: 21/04/17, 10:10 »
    Hi ladies,

Apologies for 'gate-crashing' this thread - I have posted on it before, but it was some time ago.  Hope everyone is doing okay.  ^hugme^

I'm hoping some of you might be able to help with my question....

For my last IVF/PGS cycle in May last year I used the birth control pill for 2 weeks to bring on a period for timing the cycle - for that cycle they retrieved 9 eggs (which I think is good for my age, 41 at the time), 7 of which fertilised and 1 made it to Day 5 for PGS testing.    For our next IVF (next month), I am unsure whether to use the BCP to control the timing, or to start from the first day of a 'natural' period (my cycles are fairly regular, usually 28-30 days, so I don't really need it for timing aspect).  I've been researching a lot online and see that some clinics say that as the BCP suppresses the ovaries, it can stop as many follicles from growing back as there would be normally and therefore less follicles to stiumlate.  On the other hand, I've read some clinics who say using the BCP helps the follicles grow more evenly and at similar size.  Have any of you ladies had IVF cycles where you have used the BCP and also without BCP - was there much differences in follicles / number of eggs retrieved / fertilisation / egg quality?  I hope this makes sense. 

I guess I'm in two minds - part of me wants it to be all natural and do it without the BCP and just use my 'natural' period in the hope that we get even more eggs than last time, but the other half of me thinks, we did get a lot last time and if decide not to use the BCP and get less this time, will I regret it?!  A tough decision.  My period has arrived today, so if I am going to use the BCP for next period, then I need to start the pill today or tomorrow. So need to decide quickly...eek!

Would really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks so much. xx

P.S Sorry again for barging in!

Offline mylittlepincushion

modify
    TTC with PGD ~ Part 3!
    « Reply #923 on: 21/04/17, 10:48 »
    Hi Niknik,

Sorry to read about your difficult journey  ^hugme^
    I have had two IVF cycles at two different clinics, one with BCP (Clinic 1) and one without (Clinic 2). However, both cycles were different in other ways too so the egg numbers canít necessarily be put down to pre-treatment with BCP.

I donít like the BCP so was reluctant to use it but went with the insistence of Clinic 1. They said it was to prevent a pregnancy before treatment, which I found very patronising! Clinic 2 didnít mention BCP so I didnít take it as Iím very regular too (28 Ė 30 days). They just said I need to use some method of protection.

Cycle 1 (with BCP, antagonist protocol, Gonal F 250): 9 eggs, 7 mature, 5 fert, 4 to blast
    Cycle 2 (without BCP, long protocol, Menopur 150 and Gonal F 112): only 4 eggs, 3 mature, 2 to blast

My baseline hormones (FSH, etc) are good and my AFC is good for my age 37 (clinic 1 said 12, clinic 2 said 25) so was disappointed with number of eggs. For Cycle 2, one of my ovaries had a big follie early on so probably suppressed the rest as I only had two follies on that ovary. I was also wondering if the lack of BCP caused one follie to run away from the rest. Long protocols, in general, are expected to yield more eggs compared to antagonist, for normal responders.

Iíd phone your clinic and ask their advice. I have my review on 29th April so will be asking the same question as Iím in two minds too. Sorry I canít say, one way or the other, but I would consider taking BCP next time to hopefully avoid a dominant follie/get them to grow evenly.

All the best and let me know how you get on xx

modify
    TTC with PGD ~ Part 3!
    « Reply #924 on: 21/04/17, 12:55 »
    Onto Cycle 3 we go!  :(
    Both blasts were HD-free but PGS showed that both were chromosomally abnormal. I'm trying to take comfort in the fact that we didn't have to go through the anguish of two TWWs that were bound to fail. I'll try to cycle again as soon as possible, hopefully June. I've yet to tell DH the news but will  wait until after work. xx

Offline sunhog

• Gold Member
    modify
    TTC with PGD ~ Part 3!
    « Reply #925 on: 21/04/17, 13:21 »
    Aww mylittlepincushion so sorry to hear that love, how upsetting after everything you've been through, to be HD but to have chromosome problems, good job you did have PGS this whole thing could have been so much more drawn out for you, I'm thinking of you and hubby xxx

Offline Nicnik

modify
    TTC with PGD ~ Part 3!
    « Reply #926 on: 21/04/17, 14:03 »
    Mylittlepincushion - so very sorry to read about the result of blasts.  ^hugme^

Thank you so much for your thoughts on the BCP.

Take care. xxx

Offline Carrie88

• Gold Member
    modify
    TTC with PGD ~ Part 3pill
    « Reply #927 on: 21/04/17, 17:43 »
    Hi nicnik - I was on the pill permanently befor pgd and for cycle 1 and 2 I stayed on it throughout. After my third transfer failed I came off the pill and told Guys I wasn't going back on it.
    I went back on it for one month prior to my third egg collection.

My stats are all in my sig and I got double the eggs in cycle 3 but they did increase my dose of gonal F for 3 days from 150iu to 200iu.

I also read the same as you online, very mixed messages!! I'd say go with your gut, best of luck xx

MLPC - I'm so sorry to hear this about your results :( devastated for you. How unfair that neither have the condition but other problems. Massive massive hugs to you xxxx

Online rachy28

modify
    TTC with PGD ~ Part 3!
    « Reply #928 on: 21/04/17, 19:51 »
    MLPC...im so gutted for you 😢 But you're right, those poor embabies probably would have broken your heart if you'd have transferred them. This is why Guys should do pgs as well as pgd, it probably would have prevented my 2 chemicals and many other women's too. Third time's a charm right xx

nicnik, Ive done cycles with and without. The cycles I used bcp (antagonist) produced the most mature eggs with the shortest stimming days. I had very even follicle growth in my last cycle, no lead follie at all. If im honest though, I hate bcp so would quite happily cycle without it if I need to go again x

modify
    TTC with PGD ~ Part 3!
    « Reply #929 on: 21/04/17, 20:26 »
    Thank you all for your kind words. Third time lucky eh?  ^pray^Hope so for us all Rachy and Carrie. xx