Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Hysteroscopy Athens - Part 3

86K views 566 replies 107 participants last post by  Greyhoundgal 
#1 ·
This is the place for all Hysteroscopy chat.

Other threads that you may find of use are:-

Serum Welcome / Questions / General Thread for finding out about Serum

The Inbetweeners Thread where you can go and chat while you wait to start treatment or if you have had a negative cycle

Serum Current Cyclers Thread - January / February 2016 where you can go and chat when you start your treatment - you can also use this thread if you have been advised to tx naturally after having a hysterscopy

NOTE: Please make so not duplicate your posts across all the Greece threads, any duplicate posts will be removed.

You will find lots of information in agates file, which you will find here Agate's Serum File

For a quick guide here is some of the information -

Having hysteroscopy in Athens
Hysteroscopies are normally scheduled at the Yaia maternity department of the Iatriko Kentro Athena (Central Hospital of Athens) on Distomou 5-7 , Marousi. http://www.iatriko.gr/en/gaia-obstetrics-gynaegology-clinic/

please note that the Yaia has recently located to the Iatriko Kentro Athena (Central Athens Medical centre) which is on Distomo street near the Kifsias bus stop (a taxi ride or a bus ride (route 550 from the stop called Ippokrateio near Serum on Leoforos Kifisias to the stop Vlastou)- Its too far to walk from Serum and not particularly near to a convenient metro station unless you catch the metro to Neratziotissa (but that means going all the way into the centre of Athens to Monastakiri and then changing onto the green line 1 because the metro station for serum (Ambelokipoi or Megarro Mousikkis) is on the blue line 3 and you have to go into the centre of Athens to change lines. Please note that that not all the taxi drivers know the location of the new hospital so make very sure that they know they are going to the Iatriko Kentro Athena in Marousi - its actually very easy to find from Ambelokipoi, just straight up North on Leoforas Kiffisias, but for some reason, the new location is confusing the taxi drivers and they keep going to locations in the South of the city rather than teh North Taxi is cheap around 7-8 euros.

(My google map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=216291340940802168436.0004bfd72e971a5fd1675)

Hysteroscopies are normally scheduled for just after your period has finished so that the lining is thin and there isn't too much debris from your period - its not possible to do hysteroscopy if you have your period (because the view is obscured) or if you might be pregnant (because the baby might be harmed). If your cycles are irregular or fall at an inconvenient time, you may want use the pill (e.g., microgynon 30, marvelon, yasmin - started on about day 3 of your cycle) to keep your lining thin until the hysteroscopy, or to fix the timing of your period. You can get the pill for free from your GP or can get it fairly cheaply from a UK pharmacy using a private prescription posted from Serum or emailed to Rigcharm pharmacy - if you are paying for the pill, bear in mind that something like microgynon 30 is much cheaper (about £3 for 3 x 21 pills) than yasmin. You will need a medical review at the hospital before the surgery which means filling in some forms, some blood and urine tests and an ECG (heart monitoring). This takes at least an hour so is often done at the hospital the day before, particularly if your hysteroscopy is scheduled to be done at the Yaia. You need to show your passport when you fill out the forms. You may have to wait for the blood tests to be cleared by phone before you can leave in case they need to draw any more blood so you will want to take a book to read.

You will be asked to fast (no food or drink or water) from midnight the night before your hysteroscopy. You need to remove contact lenses, make up, jewellery and nail polish and to bring some sanitary towels with you. You will need your passport to confirm your identity and any valuables can be checked in with hospital security if you are travelling alone. The surgery will normally take less than 30 minutes but there can be quite a bit of waiting around (emergency surgeries may need to be carried out first) and recovery time. A light snack will be provided by the hospital afterwards.

When you come round in the recovery room, you will be asked to stay lying down until the nurses are happy for you to get up. If you are thirsty, they may let you initially have only tiny squirts or sips of water until they are sure you are safe to have a proper drink.

The hospital staff are very efficient and it can feel a bit brusque e.g., as soon as you get to the operating theatre, one nurse will quickly put your feet up in stirrups at the same time as someone else is giving you the anaesthetic and someone else is taping down your eyelids. When you are recovering, if they want to check you are not bleeding heavily, they will lift up your gown to check without much preamble and not explain what they doing- and they don't seem to be that concerned with making sure you are covered up e.g., for listening to your heart. It seemed to me to be more a culture where visitors are excluded so that the surgical areas only had patients and staff and therefore, covering you up, wasn't seen as important. Your partner or anyone else accompanying you will have to wait in the waiting area until you Go up to the ward to recover where they can join you again.

You have to pay the hospital fee (about 550E) by card/cash to the hospital before you leave. The surgeon's fee (about 1000E) needs to be paid to serum in cash because this fee gets paid to the surgeon and cannot go through the clinic's books - Serum do not get any fee themselves for arranging the hysteroscopy. If you are not comfortable with carrying cash from the UK, you can arrange to draw it out from the ATM machines near the clinic (e.g, near the Athens Tower), or if you really don't want to pay cash, you could talk to Serum about making a bank transfer to Serum but I understand this would have to be at least 1 week in advance of your visit and would cost an extra 50Eu on top because of the added complexity for Serum.

After you have recovered you will normally get a taxi back to Serum - its easy to hail a taxi from the main street just outside the hospital - so you can have a chat with Penny about the findings from the hysteroscopy. The surgeon will normally provide a short video of the hysteroscopy on a DVD which you can view on Penny's TV. If you haven't had the locus medicus menstrual blood test for Chlamydia or the Life Code test for 6 'bugs', The surgeon can take a sample during your operation or Penny can take a cervical blood sample when you get back to the clinic as you will have some bleeding following the hysteroscopy. The results of the locus test are normally back within 1 or 2 days and will be emailed to you.

Penny will usually prescribe some cyclacur after the hysteroscopy and will discuss with you whether you need to take just the white tablets or the white tablets and then the brown tablets (usually you take the white tablets then the brown tablets but stop the brown tablets if your period arrives whilst you are still taking them) and whether you need any 'resting' cycles on cyclacur before you can do your next fertility treatment (depending on the findings from hysteroscopy). Penny may also prescribe some antibiotics or suggest you buy some antibiotics to take back with you to the UK just in case the locus test suggests you need them. If you are intending to cycle soon, you might want to take the opportunity to buy the medication you will need for your fertility treatment to take it back with you - especially if you need avekap 0.1mg for an OE cycle because you can't buy that in the UK.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

If I have an aquascan and its abnormal can I have a hysteroscopy the same day?
Probably not because you do need to fast (no food or water) before the general anaesthetic and you do need serum to be able to get you a surgical slot and a doc.

Can I have hysteroscopy at any time of the month?
The ideal time to go is just after your period finishes - so the lining is thin but you don't have any bleeding obscuring the 'view'. A thin lining makes the surgery easier especially if you end up needing to have something complex done like fibroid removal. So although technically it may be possible to have hysteroscopy at any time of the month (provided they are sure they can't possibly be pregnant), it is best to go when your lining is thin, just in case you unexpectedly need a more complex surgery. You can't have hysteroscopy after ovulation if there is a chance you might be pregnant. If you need to book flights etc and your periods are not predictable, you can ask Penny if you can use the pill to fix the timing of a bleed, or to prevent the lining thickening up (and hold off a bleed). You normally need to start the pill (a low dose combined pill like marvelon or microgynon) on about day 3 of your natural period, but can then take it for between 3-6 weeks (usually) if that helps your timing - a bleed will normally start on day 3-5 after stopping the pill. In the UK you can get the pill for free from your GP - although technically its only available free on the NHS if its for contraception. You can get a private prescription from Serum and use that to buy it from any pharmacy.

Why am I being advised to try naturally after hysteroscopy?
Where the hysteroscopy or infection testing reveals a problem that can be addressed (e.g., adhesions in the uterus that are cut away), Penny often advises couples to try naturally for at least 2 cycles - just in case the main barrier to infertility has just been fixed. This may seem like an unnecessary delay, especially if you have been trying to conceive for many years, but she very often does see spontaneous pregnancies after hysterscopy/antibiotics. Its likely that if hysteroscopy has dealt with a problem, pregnancy will result quickly, so its worth just trying for 2 or 3 cycles just in case you no longer need IVF. Experience shows that, in these circumstances, natural conception is likely to happen quickly or not at all, so only 2 or 3 months is justified before continuing with IVF.

All the best ladies - and any other concerns ask away as there are many ladies who have had this procedure and will be able to answer your questions ;)

Grey xx

This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.uk or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites

See less See more
#2 ·
Do I need to take slippers or dressing gown x

#3 ·
Hi Cupid, I would say that if you are a larger lady take a dressing gown as the gown, 'one size is supposed to fit all but clearly doesn't!' They do give you a gown but it doesn't cover much unless you are slim. I didn't have slippers but they will give you plastic covers to wear on your feet when you want to go to the toilet.

I had my hysto today and my lining was very thick, probably from hidden C which they cut away. It didn't hurt too much after, just like AF pains really. John was very good  and a safe driver and the baby car seat looked fairly new.

I can go for a FET in Feb. So hope it works this time.

#4 ·
Njr thanks for the info! I feel so nervous, I had hidden c to do I will expect that same!
Good luck for Feb! Did they say the thickness stops implantation? X

#5 ·
Yes, the thickness makes it harder for the embryo to implant, which in my case gives my NK cells an easier time to kill the embryo.

#6 ·
Thanks, I still haven't got insurance for my hysteroscopy - can anyone recommend where to get it?? I fly tomo

#7 ·
Ladies can I check how much hysto is ? And when you go to serum after how do you pay for Aqua scan ? Just trying to work out how much cash I should take . Thankyou

#10 ·
Thanks done it online with travel shield 40.46
Not to bad :)
Fly first thing in the morning! I've just packed. Hope I haven't forgotten anything, getting nervous!! X

#11 ·
Cupid, Good luck for your hysto. Don't be nervous, it was fine.

Keyno, the hospital charged me 600 euros, not 650. I paid in cash before my op and paid for the surgeon, 1000 euros after my appointment with Penny.

#12 ·
Well I went for my pre op today , over two hours I was there. I went straight for the airport. I had only eaten a small breakfast. Got there just before 5 and eff just after 7. I was soooooo hungry and waiting around no one tells you what your waiting for lol. I was just put in a room to wait. Some one would would come , do a couple of things then leave and be back half hour later! I felt so tired and starving hungry so I was getting a bit annoyed inside lol.
They asked me which doctor I was seeing and asked me what time I had to be there? I thought they would be telling me this stuff.
I'm dreading tomorrow even more now :(

#13 ·
I meant I got there just before 5pm and left after 7pm. Been up and travelling since 4am. So tired !

#14 ·
Presumably you know from serum what time you have to be at the hospital.....don't worry about it everything will be fine honestly  ^hugme^ The doctor will either be Dr Meridis or Dr Georgiou  :)

Hop you've had something to eat now??

Grey xxx

#15 ·
Yep eaten and I'm in bed lol. It's been a looonnnggg day . Serums email said I should be there for 6.30 am
So I'm getting an early night. Do you know if I can take my phone with me tomorrow? Is there anywhere for me to put it or keep with me ? X

#16 ·
You can take valuables with you but can't keep them with you for long....the hospital security will look after them for you. So sadly no communication with the outside world until after  ^hugme^

Grey Xx

#17 ·
Oh that's ok, I just wondered whether I could take it and then have it for when I wake up xx

#18 ·
They will bring you your stuff fairly sharpish on the ward so you'll have it then  ;)

Good luck

Grey xx

#19 ·
All done. Lots of dead tissue was removed. Implant cuts done. And that's it. Back in 6 weeks for fet X

#20 ·
Hello ladies,

I hope you don't mind me joining this thread. My infection tests came back all clear this morning (woohoo!), so I've booked my hysteroscopy with Serum for March 2nd. I just wanted to get a bit of a heads up of what to expect and how it all works. I've got frozen embryos waiting for me at my London clinic, so I'll be doing an FET on my next cycle all being well. I'm new to Serum, so just a bit unsure of things. If anyone can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it.

I hope you're all well.

Boo xx

#21 ·
Boo - welcome  ^hugme^ what happens at a hysto is described on the front of this thread. You'd then go to serum for a consultation so they can tell you how it went and prescribe any further meds if necessary.  Good luck with your treatment - you're in good hands  ^hugme^

Cupid - glad all went well  ^hugme^ All the very best for your FET with your newly renovated "baby room"  ;)  ^hugme^

Grey xx

#22 ·
Boo13 said:
Hello ladies,

I hope you don't mind me joining this thread. My infection tests came back all clear this morning (woohoo!), so I've booked my hysteroscopy with Serum for March 2nd. I just wanted to get a bit of a heads up of what to expect and how it all works. I've got frozen embryos waiting for me at my London clinic, so I'll be doing an FET on my next cycle all being well. I'm new to Serum, so just a bit unsure of things. If anyone can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it.

I hope you're all well.

Boo xx
I'm booked to have my hysto there that day too (I had one last June there as well). We will need pre op the day before xxx

#23 ·
Hello ladies,

I am going out to Athens next month for a hysto and want to organise some medical travel insurance. I see that Travelshield is recommended and have been on their site but not sure if it's the ivf option that I need or the elective surgery? I'm just having the hysto on this trip so not strictly ivf although it's related of course. The quote for elective surgery is £100 more expensive so I'm hoping it's the ivf option I need (coming out at around £70 for a three day trip).

Thanks.

Caz x

#24 ·
Caz15 - I phone travels girl as i wondered the same and she said the Ivf option covers hysteroscopy and she emailed me it in writing to confirm. It cost 40.46.
No need to add your partner to it which I did st first it came out as 70. She told me on the phone just to put me on it. As my fiancée has normal travel insurance with the bank already. It's a lot cheaper to get him travel insurance else where if your partner doesn't have any. Hope this helps

#25 ·
Sorry predictive text. That meant to say I phoned travel shield

#26 ·
Thanks very much Cupid. I'll go for the ivf option then and take DP off as he already has normal travel insurance.

Caz xx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.