* Author Topic: Bourn Hall - Part 6  (Read 6126 times)

Offline fiona1

• VIP Member Sponsor
modify
Re: Bourn Hall - Part 6
« Reply #110 on: 16/09/05, 13:56 »
MP,

Hi we have spoken before. I too am from Guernsey and have been under Bourn, although i have now changed clinic.

With regards to the physical requirements it's difficult to say as everyone reacts differently to the drugs. I personally don't get on with sniffing Syranel so i choose to inject instead, i have no side effects from any of the other drugs.

This process is impersonal and there is no way around that, although doctors are very aware of this (except Mr H in Guernsey) When i go for scans i wear a loose skirt and this prevents me having to remove all my bottom clothes, they do however have 'dignity' clothes so your not lying there with all your glory on display. The doctors actually don't look at your 'bits' when scanning you they are too busy looking at the monitor ALSO remember these doctors see hundreds of ladies and the famous phrase is a woman's bits to a doctor is like a text book to a teacher.

The injections are tiny and really don't hurt it's just the actual process of putting someting into my skin that i don't like, my husband did all my injections for the 1st few cycles.

I just feel that yes the process isn't great, but if you want a child you have to grin and bear it and believe me i have a son from IVF and he is worth all the injections and scans and invasiveness 100 times over.

Lastly Bourn Hall is fab i have left there purely because they cannot do the treatment i need.

Good luck

Fiona

Offline Mookie

• Gold Member
modify
« Reply #111 on: 16/09/05, 14:03 »
mp - I can understand your partner feeling slightly afraid. I was too (petrified to be honest!) but I have to say honestly that my fears were never realised.

I found the injections quite painless. DH always did them in my tummy (where I have padding  :) ) and only one that he ever did stung. It didn't hurt it was more like a bee sting feeling but that one was where I was sitting up where as all the others I lay down for. The Gonal-F pen makes the process quite easy - that's how we found it.

With regard to the scans, and trust me I was very anxious about constantly having my bits prodded, I actually didn't find them a problem. The nurses let you get undressed from the waist down in private and you cover yourself with a sheet. You then call them when you are ready and they pop back in from behind the curtain. You can stay with your partner throughout too and to be honest I was always so busy looking at the follicles on the screen so I was totally distracted from the scan itself. I never felt uneasy or self-conscious because of the manner in which the nurses at Bourn conduct themselves - your dignity is always maintained.

I had two egg collections. One under GA where I remember nothing. The pain afterwards was like period pain and was relieved by paracetamol.  The second EC I was awake for and I had a local anaesthetic with a very light sedation (pethidine) I chatted to the Dr throughout (we were giggling because I had seen her on the TV on the Bourn documentary a couple of days earlier) and heard as embryology called "egg in there" as I watched the follicles get drained. The anaesthetists assistant held my hand throughtout. The only thing I felt was a mild sting when the first local injection went in and then the pressure of the ultrasound - by no means painful. I made them promise that they would give me more drugs if I felt any pain and didn't need any. It took about half hour but it felt like ten minutes to me. Within an hour after EC I was up dressed and on my way home - one of the benefits of not having the GA. It was on that cycle that we got our BFP. Again the pain afterwards was like period pain and relieved by paracetamol.

As to how I felt with the drugs, the first time I felt pretty much ok but the second time I felt quite tired while down-regulating and a little bit more emotional. I had a few tears at my baseline on the second cycle and the nurse had me giggling again by the time she had taken my blood!

Obviously everyone reacts differently to the drugs and the procedures but Bourn won't let your partner be in any great discomfort or pain. They can't do their job if you are and so it's not in their interest. The nurses are absolute sweethearts and the two consultants we dealt with were wonderful, we both always felt they were rooting for us 100% and we weren't just numbers going through.

Hope this helps.

Mookie
xxx

Offline Edna

• VIP Member Sponsor
  • Evelyn's First Set of Wheels
modify
« Reply #112 on: 16/09/05, 20:31 »
Hi folks,

Thanks for your congratulations, I'm delighted and even bought some very cute little outfits for her today.

MP, I'd just like to echo Mookie and Fionas thoughts in that BH are very good and try to make the process as nice as possible both in terms of retaining your dignity and keeping it pain free. Everyone is different though and how you react is down to your body. I found the internal scans uncomfortable, particularly on the left as I have fibroids there. Also I had EC under a local and found it pretty painful, so in spite of the advantages in that you can go home earlier and know how many eggs you have quickly, if I have to do it again I'd have a general. The injections are no worse than a sting and if your DH does them you don't even have to look. As to emotional effects I felt quite depressed whilst taking Synarel, but euphoric when I started Gonal F injections. Its a bit of a rollercoaster and not much fun but certainly worth going for. 

Fiona, how are you keeping? Not long until your appointment with ARGC now, ^fingerscrossed^ or you.

Mookie, hope you and your little lady are doing well. Is she keeping you awake yet?

Kez, are you feeling better again today? I hope so.

Roo, thinking of you and sending your follies more  ^reiki^ vibes. Great news that you get the option of 3 if they all get there and hoping that they do. Best of luck with your scan tomorrow.

Catch up with you all later.

lol

Edna

Offline mp

modify
« Reply #113 on: 17/09/05, 06:42 »
Thanks for the info everyone, it's helped a lot  :)

-fiona1. Thanks for all your previous help, that's what got us talking to Mr Haskins and everything has flown since that visit. We got an appointment letter from Borne a few days later, the travel benefit just after that! I'll post on how it all goes although I imagine they won't start us until January due to the Christmas period. One further question is how many times did you have to visit Mr Haskins for scans, bloods and could you get in when you needed? Basically did the relationship between Guernsey and Born work as it should? Thanks again.

Offline kez23

• Gold Member
  • My daughter Casie-Mai at 1 year
modify
« Reply #114 on: 17/09/05, 08:59 »
Hi ladies

Just want to wish everyone a lovely weekend. Lets hope the weather will turn out a bit better than it is now.

Love
Kez xx

Offline kez23

• Gold Member
  • My daughter Casie-Mai at 1 year
modify
« Reply #115 on: 17/09/05, 09:07 »
Roo

I really hope all goes well today with your scan. Thinking of you mate.

Lots of love

Kez xxx

Offline Roomby

• Bourn Hall
modify
« Reply #116 on: 17/09/05, 10:56 »
Hi ladies,

here's an update on me. We had a scan today and I have two follies over 10mm and two more coming behind. So, we should end up with 4. This means we can carry on, which is fabulous as both DH and I were getting geared up to face another abandonment, this time with a big, horrible question mark over the future. 4 isn't many, but it will certainly do! We scan again on Monday and I've been told I can keep taking the stimms for up to 20 days and that they will do ec when I'm ready, rather than in their scheduled Ec week. As you can imagine, this is all a great relief!

Kez - sending you love and  ^reiki^  ^reiki^ . Not long till things get moving for you, now.

Edna - how lovely, buying pink things for Miss Small!

Fiona, Mookie, Pickles, Tulip, Selfish, Cassie, mp - hope you are all well and happy,

love
Roo
x

Offline fiona1

• VIP Member Sponsor
modify
« Reply #117 on: 17/09/05, 17:56 »
Roo - Fab news, i have heard of others on here that only got 1 and it worked so the best of luck to you.

MP - Your DW will need a scan on day 1-3 of her cycle she will obviously be bleeding, but again this is something the doctors are aware of. She will then have a scan by Mr Haskins after she has down regulated, during stimulation she will need about 2 scans, remember none of these costs are included in the cost from Bourn you will get a bill from haskins.

Fiona

Offline Cassie Cat

• Olivia
modify
« Reply #118 on: 18/09/05, 05:50 »
Morning all!

It's 5.36am and I am up  ^surprise^ !  Can't sleep, woke up about 3.30am and tossed and turned for about an hour so decided to get up and have a cup of tea and surf the net.  Checking out my bid on ebay for a pram, only 14 hours to go and I'm the highest bidder so far so that's exciting.  I am starting to get alittle bit bigger now although not as big as some people at my prenatal yoga class who are at the same stage - I reckon that's a good thing as there is still quite a long way to go.  Our house is starting to get back to normal after the extension, flooring was tiled last week and all that's left to do is some painting and get the patio & grass done in the back garden. 

Roo, so glad to hear that you can carry on and that you have 4 follies - as they say it's quality rather than quantity.  Good luck with your scan tomorrow.

Edna, so another girl on the way so far 3/3 girls  ^storkgirl^  ! I have started buying a few bits and pieces but it still feels pretty strange to be buying little pink outfits.

MP - you sound like a great hubby  ^DizzyLove^ (so supportive), I am sure you and your DW will get on fine with treatment at BH it's a good clinic.  On the injection front, I actually looked forward to the injections as in my mind it was helping us get to where we wanted to be and every day of injections you are a step closer.  Good luck with you consultation.

Kez - keep your chin up, hope you are feeling better and a few days of work helped you recharge your batteries.

Mookie - hope you are well, how's your little lady - kicking and punching? 

Loopy - welcome to the BH thread you'll get lots of support from the girls here (although my posts are few and far between these days too tired most of the time  ^zombie^!).

Hi to everyone else I've not mentioned. Feeling tired now so should probably go back to bed - at least it's Sunday and I can snooze this afternoon.

lots of love

Cassie  ^cat^

Offline Edna

• VIP Member Sponsor
  • Evelyn's First Set of Wheels
modify
« Reply #119 on: 18/09/05, 10:21 »
Hi folks,

Roo, so pleased that you've now got 4 follies and that BH are being so flexible to give you the best chance of success. One of the things I liked about them was that they really seem to have a personal stake in how a cycle turns out and do what they can to make it work. More positive vibes for you and the developing follies  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^.

Cassie, thats way too early you need your sleep. Good luck with the pram I think EBays a great way to get stuff and save some money. Great news that your house can get back to normal too.

Kez, hope you're having a good weekend too.

lol to everyone.

Edna

* Search

Free Butterfly PIN

Everyone who donates, gets a free discrete butterfly pin.
Many of our members are using these to help spot each other at clinics and group meetups!

Butterfly Pin

Recent Topics

Amazon top seller!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal