* Author Topic: Lister Cycle Chat - Part 9  (Read 34802 times)

0 Members

Online dileas

modify
Lister Cycle Chat - Part 9
« Reply #880 on: 17/02/17, 15:59 »
No not got polycyclic ovaries as far as I am aware.  Was just told all fine on my side which is why it has all come as a shock.  We always thought issue would be sperm on the day but now turns out it was eggs. X

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Claudia H

modify
    « Reply #881 on: 17/02/17, 15:59 »
    Dileas - I'm so sorry you had a disappointing egg collection. Big hugs.

A couple of things:
    A)it's certainly far from over at 28. I don't mean this harshly at all but imagine being 40 and things not going well. You have bags of time to get this right. Having said that I do understand how difficult it is when things don't go as planned, it's very painful and you have every right to cry.
    B)why were you on short protocol in the first place?  its usually reserved for older ladies or those with PCOS. It's seems a little strange to put a 28 year old with good AMH on it. Just wondering why?
    C) you may have had a lot of follicles but maybe only a few of them grew? It's often the danger with short protocol that a few greedy follicles will jump ahead leaving the others behind. And when those big ones get over 20 they have to go in and get them and if the smaller ones are still small they won't contain eggs. So maybe whilst you had a lot of follicles at your baseline scan only 4 grew to size?
    D) at 28 those 4 eggs are likely to be v good. I know you are dealing with MFI but with 4 good eggs you are still very much in the game.
    E) cetrotide? Please read my posts above. If you started it on day 3 it may have prevented your other eggs from growing? One to ask your consultant about.

This is a rollercoaster - don't give up, you'll get there. Xx

Online dileas

modify
    « Reply #882 on: 17/02/17, 16:23 »
    Thanks for reply. They said I was to go on short protocol to avoid over stimulation. I think we just feel like although we are young we have such a build up to having sperm on day with my husband on months of medication so we feel every shot is precious as not guaranteed anything to work with. A few follicles did become dominant but the consultant said the bigger follicles were empty so it seems the 4 eggs came from some of the less dominant follicles which is making me worry now that they might not even be mature eggs? 

Online Teeinparis

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #883 on: 17/02/17, 16:54 »
    There are a lot of clinics with really high success rates that never use the long protocol so I wouldn't worry too much about that.  I get similar numbers whatever I am on.  I think you are still in with a good chance so don't lose hope!!!  Talk to the embryologists as they are the best and really why we go to the Lister. 

Online Ellie84

modify
    « Reply #884 on: 17/02/17, 17:00 »
    Hi dileas, I am really sorry to hear of your bad experience. I also had my egg collection today actually (by way of an update since my last post here, i had a saline scan with dr Wren and she advised me to go ahead with the cycle as she was confident that the polyp was too small to affect implantation and we should basically leave it alone).

Our cases have a lot of similarities Dileas, even though i had 7 eggs retrieved today. As you can see from my signature i am older than you but i have a good egg reserve. My baseline scan was 18 (last one in November was 23) and my AmH is 30. I was also on 150 gonal f (due to risk of OHSS) and cetrotide (from stim day 5) with no adjustment during the cycle. I felt i was closely monitored with scans every other day but i was disappointed today expecting between 9 and 14 eggs. I thought i could have done better and compensate for the male factor so had a bit of a cry too. I can't help thinking that Lister could have seen that coming and adjust my protocol. Cannot really offer you much insight but one thing that i was told twice is that the first cycle is also a bit of a test to see how you react to medication and they adjust on the next cycle. Not any consolation i am sure (it wasn't for me when the consultant said it this afternoon). The other thing that they said is that with lower medication the quality of eggs is better. Fingers crossed that we get a call tomorrow to find out that all of them fertilised over night.

Hopefully people that have cycled before will have more insights.

I will have my fingers crossed for both of us. Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Ellie84

modify
    « Reply #885 on: 17/02/17, 17:08 »
    Claudia - same thing for me, on short protocol due to age and high AMH. I had the same advice from two more consultants before Lister so i don't question that. But i do wonder about cetrotide

Online Teeinparis

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #886 on: 17/02/17, 17:22 »
    I am questioning more the nurses and Dr on calls judgment with my meds dosage to be honest.  I have a dd from the Cetrotide protocol and had that protocol advised by a doc in Australia that gets about 45 percent success at the age I was so I wonder more about dosages in accordance with what they were seeing on the chart.  The one new doc to me I just don't trust.  I think they should have coasted me like they did in the past.  But honestly - out of three attempts with that protocol I have been preggers twice which isn't bad and one live birth. 

Online dileas

modify
    « Reply #887 on: 17/02/17, 17:38 »
    Ellie,  looks like the exact same protocol. I was told 150 was a low dose but it was kept the same throughout. I was worried that I was going for egg collection and doing the trigger after only 8 days.  My cycles are usually 32 days so it seemed very quick but maybe that's not relevant. I just feel our odds are so low now. 

Online Ellie84

modify
    « Reply #888 on: 17/02/17, 17:54 »
    Yes exactly the same protocol, i triggered on day 10 though. My cycles are normally 26-27 days so i think that cycle length is not relevant.

Like teeinparis was saying i was wondering during the cycle why they are not adjusting the dose if only seeing a few big ones but i did not expect i would trigger so quickly and in any case i thought they must know better.

Odds are definitely lower than with 10+ eggs but you never know, maybe the quality is still good and we get a great fertilisation rate. My job is in finance and i always overanalyse everything, make decisions based on probabilities etc but i want to stay positive on that one (at least until the dreaded call tomorrow morning).

Offline Claudia H

modify
    « Reply #889 on: 17/02/17, 18:42 »
    I'm not saying cetrotide is a disaster for everyone, clearly it can work for some but the consultant who told me that had to have based it on something. I don't think he made it up. Perhaps if you are older like me your eggs can't cope with it, or maybe it just doesn't work for some people - like a Lupron trigger. Certainly in my case my two worst cycles by far have been when I used cetrotide.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal