Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Woking Nuffield part 105

29K views 250 replies 28 participants last post by  LisaB76 
#1 ·
#127 ·
Jh- hi! Glad you have the results back- once you've sat down with mr c it'll make more sense. I'm on pyridoxine (b6) and high dose folic acid for mthfr, and on heparin and baby aspirin for factor v Leiden gene. Though I have read some people have heparin for mthfr. Hope that helps a bit?

Chickensoup- the spermslow helps the embryologists choose sperm for icsi. It's a liquid that sticks to DNA competent sperm supposedly. It's free at the Nuffield but I figured perhaps a pain for them to use that's why they don't offer it- I had two failed cycles before both the embryologists and mr c suggested it. There's not much info on google but it's basically the same as the picsi process.

#128 ·
Hello everyone!

I hope you are all doing well  :)

I am 6dp5dt today following our FET. No symptoms, not even twinges in the abdomen. I caved in and tested yesterday at 5dp5dt (I know, I know...).  It was negative. Last time I had my positive on that day. Needless to say, I had a complete emotional meltdown and cried myself to sleep. Today I am too scared to test. Will try and wait for a bit longer. I  ^pray^ ^pray^ ^pray^ it implanted later than the first one.

#129 ·
Oh safiya! I feel for you, it's a horrid situation to be in. I kind of think there must be a reason why they make you wait 12 days after transfer and that the reason is -it's too early to test before. I have had 3 transfers and although I wanted to know I held out cos getting a negative before otd would have been too hard. Sometimes Ignorance is bliss! It could still be too early. You never know. Don't give up hope yet. Xxx

#130 ·
Hi Chickensoup and jh2016 thanks for your replies, it's good to know it's typical to wait after a failed cycle. I think it makes sense to wait a little as I have been in no fit state to have a sensible conversation about it!

Chickensoup how did your appointment go, are they going to proceed with Sperm Slow for this cycle?

jh2016 - sorry to hear about your bfn too, I was prepared to be disappointed but I think devastated is absolutely the word! The time issue is not so much related to my age but the fact that I have a history of recurrent cervical/vaginal abnormalities. We had to postpone starting IVF for a year when I had my cervix removed. I then had further treatment in August this year and thought it might mean additional delay. Luckily we got started this time though. The problem is I have a smear due in March...so I was hoping to be pregnant before then in case it's bad news again!

Interesting to hear that the advice isn't to stress about it and not to give up - I always find that very hard! In many ways I am thankful to have at least had a shot at one cycle. At some points over the last few years we didn't think we'd ever get the chance to even try IVF. Now I'm really hoping that there is a chance for it to work next cycle! I don't know how ladies manage multiple cycles. Christmas will be particularly hard as many of my friends have newborns this year, but that is the way it goes unfortunately. I might be doing a short protocol next time so downregging before my appt with Mr Brook probably isn't an option, I think we have to discuss the 'plan' first. I wish you the best of luck with your next cycle and hope you can make the most of Christmas. xx

#131 ·
Zelda have you had the baby yet.? Xx

#132 ·
Just a quick hello to wish everyone a lovely Christmas, and roll all those ttc may 2017 be your baby making year xxx

Much love also to all the new bubbas out there x

#133 ·
Thank you, Beanie!

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate and happy festive season to those who don't!

For all ladies still waiting for their miracles, may 2017 be the year we see our dreams fulfilled!

Lots of love to all  ^pray^

#134 ·
Hello all! I managed to get myself locked out (have no idea how!) but I've been reading your posts and seeing how you're all doing. Although seems mighty quiet on here.

Crown - yes I've had my baby! A little girl born on 2nd December after an induction that took 3 days...! Actually was in total shock (and probably still am) as I had convinced myself that I was having a boy. Didn't believe my husband when he said it was a girl!

She has reflux so vomits after every feed, my nipples are so sore it feels like someone has taken razor blades to them, and she refuses to sleep or nap unless she's in my arms pretty much so I can't get anything done at all as I can't put her down.  It's now 15:15 and I'm still in my PJs yet to have a shower and popping a couple of paracetamol for my lack of sleep induced headache! But I wouldn't change her for anything!

Hope your twins are doing ok in there.

And I hope everyone else is doing well and that 2017 is your year

Xxx

#135 ·
Hi ladies! I hope it's OK to post here with some questions. I'm a long-term NW patient, had my DD from first NHS funded cycle in 2013 and had 3 privately funded cycles there last year- BFN and 2 early MCs. We have 3 Frosties left from our last fresh & just contemplating what to do next. Have any of you any experience of clexane or predisolone at NW? Seeing Mr Riddle next week and feeling I might have a battle on my hands!

Looking forward to getting to know you,

Xx

#136 ·
Hi everyone - just popping on to catch up on all your news.

Scoutykit - WN will prescribe prednisolone and clexane but they tend to give it to you from the day of ET. Other clinics will get you to start them on day 7 of a natural cycle or day 6/7 of progynova in a medicated cycle so much earlier that WN. Mr Brook is the most supportive of immunes etc - Mr Riddle is not very keen.

Zelda - thrilled to read of the safe arrival of your little girl - I hope she gets through her reflux soon and many many congratulations xxxx

Love to you and your twins Crown - hope all going well and love to you Safiya and Beanie and everyone else on here.

We are about to embark on our very last cycle having had yet another fail just before Xmas. Pretty daunting knowing it is all or nothing now.

May 2017 be the lucky year for all of us still trying.

Love to you all. xxx

#137 ·
Hello everyone,

Ricks, it's lovely to hear from you and I am sorry about the BFN before Christmas. It sucks, doesn't it. I sincerely hope this next go is your time!

Scoutykit, I send what Ricks said. I had prednisolone and clexane during my FET just before Christmas. It was recommended by Zita West clinic not NW. NW agreed for me to have it but changed the recommended doses and start dates. Good luck with your appointment!

Zelda, I am so happy to read your good news! I hope reflux goes soon.

Our first FET was a fail. It was quite painful to see a BFN. I should have been due next month if we didn't miscarry following our fresh cycle. All the 'what if's... We have our WTF appointment on 18th January and hopefully can do another FET soon. I am worried that perhaps my body wasn't receptive to prednisolone. Could it have hindered the implantation? Shall I request a scratch this time? My lining was perfectly thick otherwise. Any advice is welcome!

I hope everyone else is doing well!

#138 ·
Thanks so much for your replies, really appreciate it. Our appt is on Weds afternoon so I'll let you know how we get on. I feel like I need something different in my protocol now after two MCs in a row. Our appt ironically falls on the due date of of the first pregnancy we miscarried last year, maybe I'll try crying too see if I can soften Mr R up! If not I'll try for a second opinion from Mr B, he did my last ET and was way more keen on transferring two!

Ricks- BFNs are awful. On our failed cycle I was convinced it'd worked so were literally devastated when it fails. It's so hard to know whether it's just bad luck or something else.

Safira- totally understand how you feel about due dates approaching. I'm actually more scared than excited about IVF working now given I've miscarried after the last two cycles.

Zelda- hope the reflux improves- remember, it's a phase and will improve! How are your nipplds? I found nipple shields a saviour, I'd literally cry every time she latched till I used them and was so close to giving up. We ended up going till 20 months and only gave up then to cycle again!

Thanks again for the welcome and advice. I've probably actually seen you over the last year the amount of time I've spent at the clinic!

Xx

#139 ·
Hi did your appointment go scouty? We are under Mr R and had a treatment review meeting a few weeks back. He was actually more amenable than I thought he would be. He's switched us to a short protocol. We are adding in aspirin and clexane but not prednisolone (a joint choice by him and us). He has also documented that we are to transfer 2 embryos in all future cycles to increase chances.

Hoping you got some answers and a way forward.

How is everyone else?

We have just started our next cycle so nervous and excited at the same time. Hoping it's 3rd time lucky

#140 ·
Bubsymalone, praying this is your 3rd time lucky!  ^pray^ Is there any reason why you decided not to have prednisolone? I didn't have prednisolone with my fresh cycle and got pregnant but had a missed miscarriage. As it was my second miscarriage, we did the Chicago test and were advised to take steroids with the next cycle. So I did with my FET and it was a BFN. My friend is having her IVF in Greece and her doctor believes steroids can hinder implantation. I am now so confused  :-\ We will be going into FET2 once my period arrives and I am not sure if I should go for prednisolone or not this time.

#141 ·
Hi Safiya
I didn't go for steroids for 2 reasons. Firstly they cross the placenta and therefore there are risks to the baby (suppressed adrenal glands, risk of mental/behavioural difficulties as well as higher risks of cleft Palate). There is currently no known data which shows it helps in implantation in women who do not have autoimmune conditions. I've had 3 friends who have tried it and with poorer success than without steroids.

(Ps above are my reasons and are not in any way meant to persuade anyone against their treatment plans).

Aspirin and clexane have a proven benefit in increasing uterine blood flow and can help both implantation as well as reduce risk of early miscarriage. Given I had a chemical pregnancy last time I'm hoping the aspirin/clexane may help.

For me if this cycle doesn't work the next step would be PGD and we would need to change clinics for that. I guess we just need to see what outcome we get this time round and then regroup.

Are you planning on cycling again?

#142 ·
Hello again! It's all very confusing isn't it! We had quite a discussion with Mr R re. the difficulty of doing research in this area (I also work in research). Which isn't really helpful for us desperadoes who would do just about anything for it to work!

Bubs, that all sounds very positive and similar to what we'll be doing. Are you doing fresh or frozen? And do you have an approx transfer date? How are you feeling? Excited? Terrified?!!

Safiya, sounds like we may be doing FET cycles together, I'm just waiting for AF now too- I reckon due around the end of the month th.

Our appt went well, I think! I felt a bit overwhelmed by information though especially as I'm still a bit fragile from the last MC. Mr R is suspicious something odd is going on as all our blasts have been top quality 4A/Bs and shouldn't be failing/MC. So I'm having thyroid and clotting screening on thurs. We talked about including clexane next time regardless. This may be our last attempt- it'll be cycle 4 for us and I don't know if we can face another fresh again with so many unanswered questions. I'll also be having a scratch this time- has anyone had one? Sounds painful! They also have trouble at ET getting the catheter in so have to use these evil pincers to keep my cervix still, so overall not looking forward to it!!

I'll stop banging on about me, hope you're all well and not too blue on what is apparently the most depressing day of the year!!

X

#143 ·
Bubsymalone, you just confirmed all my fears  :'( Dr George from Zita West seemed to sure that my miscarriages were due to higher NK cells and some blood clotting issues. I would be covering part of the problem with clexane and aspiring but what about NK cells?.. Having miscarriage is soul destroying  :'( So confused...

Scoutykit, it would be great to have a cycle buddy! I am waiting for my period and will hopefully start down-regulating this cycle. I'll be asking for a scratch too - let's hope it's our magic ingredient to success  ::)

Question: My period is 3 days late already - is it normal after a failed cycle (I already had one bleed after BFN)?

#144 ·
Safiya I can imagine it's soul destroying and cruel of Mother Nature to give a pregnancy and then so quickly take it away. I'm not too informed on NK celks but I know that a leading professor in the research is Prof Quenby in Coventry. I have to say after the panorama documentary I didn't think too highly of Dr George. It may be worth getting a second opinion. Prof Quenby charges £540 but the resukts form part of the research by the university she is affiliated to.

Scouty I am about to start a fresh cycle. Part of me is dreading it.

Safiya my cycles have luckily always gone back to normal pretty quickly afte a cycle, but it may be that you ovulated a little later so af may be late. FC it's either not going to arrive for 9 months or is asap.

So are you both starting a fet? Are you doing a Medicated/natural?

#147 ·
Agh! I wrote a reply that something disappeared!

Congratulations sweety! Hope you are all settling in.

Bubs- good luck! I don't respond to stimms very well and find fresh really stressful. Have you cycled before? My FET will be medicated, my hormones are crazy and I want them in strict check!

Safiya- can't remember exactly but pretty sure my cycles have been longer after failed cycles, definitely after my MCs. Hoping yours doesn't appear at all for all the right reasons!

I've just back from the clinic for thyroid and clotting tests - £270, ouch!! Desperately hoping they show a reason for the MCs but my tests never seem to show anything! They said call for results in 10 days.

Hope you're all well and enjoying this little bit of sunshine x

#148 ·
Scouty we are on cycle number 3 🙈 So getting used to the pills and potions involved. I hate EC and have always needed a good number of days to recover. Although we've had variable numbers of eggs collected I'm wondering if quality is an issue as we never get many blastocysts and none good enough to survive a thaw thus far.

I've started stimulating so feel like things have started to move rapidly. Hoping it's the last time I have to stimulate and we get our take home baby this time x

#149 ·
Bubsymalone, I hope this is your batch of babies and you don't have to do it ever again!

Scoutykit, all the tests are so expensive, aren't they. Here's hoping it will all be worth it int he end  ^pray^

Sweety, I hope motherhood is all you wished for and even better! Huge congratulations to you  ^hugme^

Afm, period is now a week late and the tests are negative. Really want to come already so we can get on with the cycle. Mr Brok suggested doing an endo scratch this time. We will be doing a medicated cycle.

Wishing everyone a good weekend!

#150 ·
Thank you Safiya. Do you know how long a scratch lasts? I had it for my last fresh cycle (October) but I've not been offered it again (and aware it's too late now).

Also wondering if anyone has used embryogen? We used it last cycle and using it again this time but wondering if it's a total waste of £550 odd pounds?

Also are you all getting your meds from WN or taking the script elsewhere?

#151 ·
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to say hi, as I've only just found this thread for Woking Nuffield! We're being treated there, first cycle of IVF (and possibly ICSI) and EC is tomorrow! It was supposed to be on Friday but apparently I've responded well to the drugs so they've moved it forward 4 days, which is a bit concerning but I'm hoping its a good sign. Has anyone else had that happen? Worried I may have over responded but working hard to stay positive.....

Are any of you currently having treatment at WN? Hope you are finding it good. I/we have been really happy there so far - we started at the Lister, which I had heard such good things about, but they didn't seem to be focused on me, just launching into the standard protocol so we switched, and WN seem more patient-specific (so far) which is a relief...

BTW Bubsymalone, I did a comparison of the drugs cost with ASDA/Fertility4U etc and Woking was actually a bit cheaper for some of the drugs, so I went with WN dispensary. We're having to pay for all treatment (OH has DD DS from a previous relationship so no cycles for us on the NHS) so we're a bit cost conscious to say the least!

xx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.