* Author Topic: PGS at 43 - Absolutely necessary?  (Read 958 times)

0 Members

Offline eskeech

modify
PGS at 43 - Absolutely necessary?
« on: 10/12/16, 19:21 »
Reprofit basically said they'd do what I wanted, OE, but they were just trying to be honest about my chances. The fact is, they are absolutely correct about my chances with OE. It's 5-7% for a woman my age (43). I don't have unlimited funds to keep trying. I figure I can afford three cycles, max. I have a ridiculous amount of airline miles, so I save a fortune there. I just have to pay for food and lodging, which is very cheap. :-)
The big problem now is that they want to do pgs testing. Any clinic will want to do this because of my age. I've read it everywhere. I have a 90% chance of chromosomal abnormalities. It adds on thousands. But it is really necessarily? If I got pg spontaneously, I would have an amniocentesis, right? So now the big issue is that I really can only afford OE once. If it doesn't take, they say they can immediately implant a donor embryo. Do I get to pick the donor embryo in advance? Does this mean I;m basically having another couple's child? That's weird. I also think that extends my stay by weeks ($$). And what's this about Kryogenetics? 
This is all A LOT to get my head around.
I've been reading up on reprogenetics (might have the term wrong) that it says a baby growing in your womb that doesn't have any of your genetic material, can still have it's genes influenced. It's like snowflakes on DNA. But what will I know about this donor embryo? I want the baby to at least resemble me. And, most importantly, have high intelligence. One lady said she finally came to terms with DE because, more than anything, she wanted to be a mom. So do I.
Also, I've read that day 3 transfer is better for older woman - I'm confused bc if you transfer then, you can't do pgs. Right?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline miamiamo

modify
    « Reply #1 on: 26/12/16, 16:21 »
    I am by no means an expert, but I have read that ladies of advanced maternal age are usually advised to undertake PGS to increase their chances of having a healthy baby. From what I know top Polish in vitro clinics quite often recommend considering ivf with PGS NGS if patients are aged 35 and older. x

Offline -Susan-

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 26/12/16, 17:24 »
    PGS will help to identify healthy embryos but it's no guarantee. It is expensive, and doesn't make your embryos healthy - it is about trying to drastically reduce the chance you will  have a miscarriage or a baby with a genetic condition. It could save a lot of heartache but comes  at a price. I had read - I can't remember where now - that some scientists think it's possible any bad genes could repair themselves in the womb, but I can't think where I read it. I think it's epigenetics you're thinking of, basically your body influences the genes / chromosomes  of a donor egg baby. I don't know if it influences appearances but clinics will try to choose a donor who looks like you anyway. Best of luck whatever you choose x

Offline -Susan-

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 26/12/16, 17:27 »
    I think it was this I read, sorry it's daily mail!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3527269/Does-son-prove-babies-gene-defects-cure-womb-Cambridge-don-defies-worrying-test-results-healthy-baby-44.html

This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that
    fertilityfriends.co.uk or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Offline miamiamo

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 3/01/17, 13:14 »
    eskeech - I bumped Invicta's (?) stats, and it seems that Reprofit might worry not only chromosomal issues you might have, but also the risk of mcs you might experience due yr advanced maternal age. Just look at the charts: http://www.invictaclinics.com/infertility-treatment/ivf-programs/ivf-all-inclusive-genetics-ngs/ I have also come across a few posts of ladies who have decided (have been advised) to undergo de ivf with PGS NGS to improve chances of having a healthy baby. All the best x

/links

Offline eskeech

modify
    « Reply #5 on: 24/01/17, 00:20 »
    @Miamiamo,
    Thank you so much for your help! I am so sorry I didn't see it until just now.
    Hope all is well with you,
    :-)

Offline miamiamo

modify
    « Reply #6 on: 10/02/17, 13:04 »
    eskeech I am happy I could help. Good luck xx

Offline helenbraggins

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #7 on: 17/02/17, 18:24 »
    Hi ladies,
    I am 42 years old. I recently had IVF/PGS. My doctor told me that when you are above 37, eggs are not as good as before. Their quality starts declining. Thus, the risk for anomalies increases. I was not really convinced as I would expect that due to my age I would have less foetuses. With PGS I was not sure if one of them would be alive ( the fetustransfer happens on 6th day). I chose to do it though. I would like to have more chances for a healthy baby. I went to Greece. I chose a centre in heraklion, Crete, which is called Crete Fertility centre. Everything has been fine so far. I hope everything will be Ok till the end.