Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelsfield ICSI (trying to replace vanished thread!)

33K views 364 replies 24 participants last post by  LiziBee 
#1 ·
Hello to all the Chelsfield girls. The thread seems to have disappeared with the server upgrade, so here is my attempt to start a new one.

My IVF/ICSI last month ended with my period coming after 11 days.
I am really upset: I am 42 and DP does not want to try IVF again and will not consider adoption. This is a shock, because he was the one who initially wanted kids, not me.

#2 ·
Morning JudithS,

Annoying our thread has disappeared.....

I am so sorry to hear about AF and about DP's reaction - this must have been a huge shock for you.  Maybe he just needs time to think things over, men sometimes take time to come round to ideas, don't they? 

We are having EC tomorrow, I have 25 follicles this time and they reckon around 14 eggs!  My stomach is like a football and my ovaries and throbbing like crazy - roll on tomorrow :)

Love to Minxy, Julles, Superted, Poppins and anyone else I've missed out.  Let us know how you're doing.

Michelle xx

#3 ·
Jetula, that is really great news! 25 follicles! The more eggs you have, the better your chance of having some good quality embryos among them!
Just a warning, you might have a lot of pain in the couple of days after EC -- I did the first time, (though not this time) and got rather faint. You can take paracetemol for the pain, you must drink a lot of fluid and you must lie on the sofa/bed and do nothing!

#4 ·
HI Girls

Damm about losing the previous posts.

Judith my heart goes out to sorry that it didnt work out.  DH response too is hurting you as well.  He may just need the time to come round and accept things and then hopefully consider the road of adoption.  Its so hard this rollercoaster of a ride.  Sometimes men like Michelle says need a little time to get their heads round it all before they make a decision.  I hope in your case it will be the right decision.

Michelle - way to go with 25 follies what have you been doing to get such a bumper crop.  Can I ask have you  been taking the chinese herbs whilst cycling?    Is your response much better than last time?  good luck for Wednesday.

As for me I am finally stimming but with disappearing ovaries and follies I am not too sure about things.  I have another scan on Wednesday, somehow I am thinking this cycle is not meant to be.  But I have to say positive to give the treatment any chance of working.  I'll let you know how it progresses.

Hi to everyone else keep us updated as I have missed not having FF.

Love Superted x

#5 ·
Hi chelsfield chicks... ^missyou^ I've been lost without FF !!

Judith...I am so sorry hunny ^Cuddle^ ^hugme^ I really don't know what to say as words will not make up for how you must be feeling right now. As for your DH, I can only agree with the other ladies, men deal with things in completely different ways and perhaps this is the only way he knows to prevent any more heartache on both your parts...give him time to grieve as thats really what it is to some extent...and look after both of you :-*

Jetula...wow way to go with all those eggies...hopefully you'll get some really good quality ones in there ! Good luck with EC...and make sure you drink at least 2-3 litres of water a day following EC to flush out all those empty follies and to hydrate you !! ^reiki^ ^goodluck^ (I had 21 follies and we got 10 good eggs so fingers crossed you get similar or better response !!) ^reiki^

Superted...hope the stimming goes well hun and that your scan on Wednesday brings lots of lovely juicy surprises !! ^goodluck^ ^reiki^

^hello^ to everyone else I've missed...sorry...hope you're all ok :)

Well I had several scans and then last one was last Monday which was cd14...and as expected since I ovulate cd14/15 I had a big follie at 18mm and womb lining at 9.7mm...so had to do Ovitrelle trigger jab at 2am !!!!! Talk about rolling over, doing jab and going back to sleep - I barely opened my eyes !! ^idiot^ ;D
I was a bit anxious about our snowbabies but they thawed 2 of the 4 & both survived 100% - in fact one had gained another cell between thaw and transfer which was good news. I had ET on Friday so am now in the dreaded 2ww !! Mr Steer was running a little bit late (only about 15mins as it turned out) but I was absolutely bursting for a pee so just had to go...then spent the next 10mins standing in front of the water fountain filling up again !!!! ET was a little uncomfortable this time but we saw our embies on screen again and actually got a little print out of them in my womb...2 clear little white flashes of life...gives me something to visualize and get quite emotional when I think about them and just pray they're making themselves at home in my belly for the next 9mths....

I've been having weekly acupuncture as well....had session few hours before ET and then another one few hrs after...plus another this Friday, a week after ET. I've also got a little magnet stuck to my ear which is sposed to ease some of my anxiousness !!!

Just a word of warning though ladies, please avoid taking any form of herbal remedies / chinese meds whilst having treatment eg whilst taking fertility drugs, as majority of clinics recommend against this as it can interfere with the treatment and it has been known to cause bad quality eggs etc...there are several posts about this on these boards...

Anyway, so that's me...off work for the next 2 weeks...was hoping for the lovely hot weather we've been having but typical, I'm off so it turns cooler and cloudy !!!! Test date is Friday 11 August - eeekkk.

Take care everyone ^reiki^ ^reiki^
Natasha x

#6 ·
Minxy

Good to hear from you.  Good luck on your 2ww its always the hardest I think.

Were you by any chance at your scan just after 6 last Monday on your own?????

That was the day I was in there for what seemed like an eternity must have kept everyone waiting while they tried to find my ovaries. 

Love S x

#7 ·
Hi Superted....yep, my appt was at 5.40 / 5.50 but they were running late...I was on my own !!!  Were you just before me ???  I think I was the last one....I think I recall catching your eye but then I could be imagining that (memory of a goldfish !! ;D )

#8 ·
Natasha

I probably did see you and it was me that made you all run late bliming ovaries.

I was in a bit of a rush to get out of there mind you might of embarassed myself if I had said something and it was the wrong person!

Take Care

S x

#9 ·
Hi Girls
^hello^
well I have been soooooo lost without this site ,even though I am still newish ^idiot^ ....we  must all cross each others paths at chelsfield ..I was there too last monday and they were already running late so don't worry superted I don't think it was your fault .I think I was there just before you and minxy .

Judiths..I was wondering how you were getting along and am sad to read your first post ...so sorry to hear your news ,you must give yourself time to  :'(. I agree with the others ,men have a different way of coping and maybe he is just putting up the barriers ..he needs time too and maybe he will be able to re-evaluate your situation .sending you hugs ...

certainly while the site has been down everyones lives have changed ...
Minxy sending you lots of ^reiki^ ^reiki^ and August 11th is not far away now .Hope all goes well for you
how lovely to have the piccy as it helps you to focus your little babies .

Superted ..stay positive  ^reiki^ .I hope it all works well and that the scan on wednesday gives you good news.

OMG Jetula ....25 follies ..That has got to give you the best possible chance ..Tomorrow will be such a big day for you ,hope it goes well ...please post and let us know as soon as you are feeling up to it.

Everyday I have been checking the site praying it was back ...
I had my scans and up to last week not much was happening so had blood test yesterday to check E2 levels to see if I could start stimming..and yipee ^banana^  got the call and I did my first injection last night...took me ages just held the auto injecter against the leg to scared to press ,but when I did eventually it was fine .I am on a high dose so have to do two injections .Got a scan on monday .
now I am very excited to be at this stage but I am nervouse about setting myself up for a fall ,fingers crossed .
Can I ask you girls again ,should I be doing the pineapple juice and nuts and seeds and protein drink at this stage ?

Lots of love and  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ to you all

#10 ·
Hi everyone again

Jules - Funny that we could have all seen each other.  Maybe we should have all worn id bands!!!

Just out of curiosity and damm right nosiness what dosage of gonal f are you on to take two injections have never heard of that before.  I am on a high dose but only the one injection with the auto injector.  Its ok isnt really after you've done the first one. 

I've never had my E2 levels checked can I ask what that is all about??????

I guess you are not under Miss Hanna?????????  or are you???????????

As for what to eat I've been eating nuts, sunflower and pumkins seeds for a while now just sprinkle them on my cereal.    I am also taking protein whey to go from Solgar started that whilst stimming.  I don't take any pineapple juice so cant really comment on that one.

Good luck with the stimming is your scan next Monday?

How are the rest of us Chelsfield girlies going.  Poppins how are you?

Superted x

#11 ·
Hi girls,

Just a quick post - I have my Mum here today so can't stay long :)

Minxy, fingers crossed for you for 11th August ^reiki^ ^reiki^ Hope your little snowbabies are snuggling down nicely for the 9 month ride ^2ww^ ^2ww^ ^2ww^

Superted, this time I have done many different things (I've read so much on this website!). I have been drinking 2-3 litres of water a day and have upped my increase of protein to around 75g using protein powder. Remember, your body can only absorb 30g protein at any one time so have your breakfast and then wait around 2 hours before having the shake. No chinese herbs, just acupuncture. I am also having acupuncture 2 hours before ET and 2 hours after - this is what happened in the german study, see http://www.naturalgynae.com/nav6_fact18.html. Also been eating organic for last 6 weeks at great expense ;D ;D Last time only had 14 follicles so much better this time :) Good luck with your scan next week.

Julles, glad to hear you've now started stimming. You need to increase your protein (eggs, fish, chicken) and start your protein powder whilst stimming to improve the quality of your eggs. Pineapple juice and brazil nuts come after ET - these help the little embies settle in nicely. I read that you should have 8 brazil nuts daily and half glass pineapple juice but there are other opinions on FF so it can be confusing. Remember, you must stay positive, no negative thoughts :)

It is lovely to have you all back - I've missed you!

Michelle xx

#12 ·
Jetula

Thanks for that, and the bit about the acupuncture before and after.  I am having acupuncture before et but not afterwards.  May I will mention it to my acupuncturist when I go tomorrow night.

Those words stay positive are good but it is so hard isn't it especially when you have a few blips along the way.

Anyway with those lasting words from you to stay positive I am on my way home to try and stay positive now for the rest of cycle.

Thanks girls you are a great support and I had been so lost when this site went down.

S x

#13 ·
Hi again superted...

about the acupuncture....I'm surprised you're not having a session after ET...there is a very specific protocol that they adhere to when having any type of assisted conception such as ivf etc...they usually check your pulses regularly and also your tongue but when it comes to the day of transfer they don't do this because irrespective of what they (pulse/tongue) are like, they have a very particular way of doing the treatment...basically before ET is to "open" things up so making your womb receptive to the embies...and then following ET is to "close" things and centre your energy (qi) to the right places ie womb & ovaries !!  Its also a good idea to have it done about 7 days past transfer which is also what I'm doing.

I didn't have 2 hours before and after ET but it was about 4 hours instead but that was purely down to timing and us getting to clinic etc as Gareth had to drive back from a training course in Slough where he'd been all week !!!

I would definitely speak to your acupuncturist...

I'd be interested to know where they put the needles for other ladies when having this protocol on ET day...

Good luck
Natasha ^reiki^

#14 ·
Hi there ,me again

couldn't wait to get home just to get on the site again ...seems to have taken over my life already ,in a good way though.

Superted ..I am under Miss Hanna ,Are you also?I am taking 450 Gonal F and was told to do this in two sets of injections (three powders to one solvent in each injection )I was told it was because of my age ...I have been trying to use that excuse for ages but not got away with it yet  ;) ;)
Yes it really is ok ,just the first one got me in a real dither  ::)
The E2 level was instead of another scan to see if everything had shut down (maybe I got the E2 bit wrong but I am sure that's what they called it .Scan on Monday
I have looked ,but maybe not hard enough ,where do you get the Whey to go (is this a drink or powder form ^idiot^

#15 ·
Hello all

I wandered on to this thread out of curiosity as my first cycle was partly at Chelsfield at age 42 and I noticed some of your were a similar age. My attempt also ended after 11 days.

Sounds bad to suggest going elsewhere and i don't have any complaints as such about my treatment but I'd just say that I have had a lot more tests carried out elsewhere which revealed some things which have changed/will change my next treatment. One was an updated hysteroscopy and I've had a fibroid removed and one was a set of blood tests looking at immune issues and I was found to have lupus inhibitor which makes me more prone to miscarriage but can be taken into account by using aspirin I believe. I've no proof either of these factors meant I failed last time but I'd definitely advise anyone to get as many tests done as poss to maximise your chances.

Men do have a funny attitude at times I agree but time does usually put things in perspective and if he sees you are strong enough to cope maybe he will come round-especially if there is something different you could do next time-different technique or different hospital maybe?

Nippy

#16 ·
Hi Nippy :)

Glad to hear you've had lots of tests done elsewhere but I'm surprised you never had them done at Chelsfield if they thought there may be a problem as I had loads done (at one time I had 10 phials of blood drawn !!!)...had to have tests done twice with several months in between to check for any changes as well... perhaps it depends on the consultant, we're under Mr Steer.

I already had diagnosed endo and bicornuate uterus for many many years but Mr Steer wanted me to have another hysteroscopy last year (despite having had one, along with lap the previous year under a different consultant I see for my endo)...it was found I had more uterine adhesions and also polyps which may have contributed to my early mc in the January.

I then had another early mc in May, after the hysteroscopy, and Mr Steer decided to send me for countless blood tests which confirmed I had autoimmune and blood clotting disorders so now I have prednisolone, clexane and baby aspirin.

Were you not offered any of these tests at Chelsfield as Mr Steer seemed to do them as routine knowing my medical history and then the 2 early mc's (as well as a now failed ivf but we're having fet now so fingers crossed).

Good luck with your next treatment...which clinic are you at now ???
Take care
Natasha

#17 ·
Hi Natasha

I was part NHS/part private and under Miss Hanna and no, I wasn't offered loads of tests. I just had a hyst/lap dye op a few years ago then a day 1-2 blood test when my name finally got to the top of the list a year or so later.
It took about 5 weeks to down reg which was tedious and it nearly got cancelled as I had a cyst but they doubled the dose (2 injections per day).

We had ICSI plus hatching but not sure if the latter was a good idea-they don't seem to have done it often enough to have meaningful statistics about it.

I'm at ARGC in London now-only because I felt they would be more thorough and tailored to me individually and they had good success rates. Also didn't want to look back and wonder if another clinic would have been better.

Nippy

#18 ·
Superted, thanks for your good wishes. Sorry to hear about your disappearing follicles. How very disappointing. I remember every time I went for a scan, wondering what they would find there. I hope things go well for you tomorrow. :-*

Minxy -- roll on August 11th! It is good news about your embryos. :)

Julles, those injections get easier as the days go by! You get really blasé about them in the end.

Nippy, thanks for your tips. :) I don't know that I could bear to go to another hospital and start the whole rigmorole again. It took as so long even to get to our 1st IVF attempt, then longer to get to the 2nd as they repeated tests (and for various other reasons).

Thanks for everyone's good wishes, but I don't think DP will come round about adoption. Anyway, I got a book from the British Association of Adoption and Fostering, and apparently, adoption agencies interview "at least" three personal referees when you apply for adoption. Two of them should be close friends that you have known a long time, the other can be a relative. Well, I can't think of any friends I could ask to do this. I think this probably rules us out as suitable adopters.

#19 ·
hi all would like to join you lovely ladies on this thread;

Minxy hi wishing you well on your 2ww,am also on my 2ww and testing on the 11th, so hopefully will be sharing some good news soon!!

This is our first attempt at ivf, had 12 eggs but unfortunately none were suitable for freezing, 2 embies put back in on friday, hoping that they nestle in!

Wishing everyone lots of luck in the times ahead.

love Janex

#20 ·
Hi Jane

What time did you have your ET on Friday ???  Ours was at 1.30pm although Mr Steer was running a little late - you didn't happen to be before us did you ???

Anyway, I wish you all the luck in the world and lets hope we have some good news to report on the 11th....

^reiki^ ^fairydust^ ^rainbow^ ^spot^ ^goodluck^

Take care
Natasha

#21 ·
argghhhhhhhhhhhh have just lost the reply for the second time  :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'll update again later.

Minxy just one quick question my acupuncturist follow zita west plan and she has said about it before but not that close and certianly not that close after et.  Where is your acupuncturist based by the way.  Anyway will check again with mine tonight see what she says.  I had one on my stomach last week as well as in my lower legs and hands.  Is that where you have them.  I know they need to concetrate on the kidney one as that keeps the energy circulating.  I've learnt a lot actually since going to see her something again I didnt think I would be doing.

Hey ho anyway hope the test of you are ok I will post later but bit peeved I've just lost 2 long posts.

Superted  x

#22 ·
Hi Superted :)

I'm not sure what "plan" my acupuncturist follows other than the actual chinese medicine/acupuncture protocol for ivf that he was telling me about...he actually teaches acupuncture so only practices Fridays & Saturdays which is why he's so busy !!  He also went on some "refresher" conference (as apparently they all should keep up to date) specifically for ivf the week before I started my treatment...he's worked with alot of women for fertility and is currently helping about 3 of us going through treatment now.

The session before ET I had a needle in each wrist, 2 in my pelvic/groin area (a little bit in from where ovaries are), and if I remember correctly...one on top of each foot sort of the padded area near big toe and also one on each side of knee...and one in top of my head (I think I've got that right although maybe I've missed out a couple on my ankles - I couldn't see & can't remember exactly !!!!)

The session after ET I had needles in my hands - fleshy bits by thumbs, one in each inner knee again, one in each ankle and one in each shin.

The guy I see is based in Crystal Palace...well Norwood actually but he's at The Garden Clinic which is right opposite Crystal Palace football ground (Selhurst)...they do all sorts there, reiki, reflexology, massage, yoga...its really hippy dippy if you know what I mean and smells of insense...I love it as its so relaxing and peaceful despite where it is....

Good luck ^reiki^
Natasha

#23 ·
Jetula

Just realised you are having ec today good luck maybe you are having it as we speak.

Let us know how you get on with the eggies.

Also can I just ask is your acupuncturist local to Chelsfield? 

Thanks a lot

Superted x

#24 ·
Just wanted to say to Jetula

hope all goes well today with your EC ,hope your not feeling to poorly after ^Cuddle^
[br]: 2/08/06, 13:23Hi Girls

^hello^ Jane and Nippy , welcome, hey I am not the new girl anymore .. ;D

Hope your all doing ok today
Judiths -Thinking of you .

Did my injections fine last night ,hubby even offered to do them after he saw how easy it was .
can anyone tell me where I get the whey to go ,is it a drink or powder ,I have a health food shop near where I live ,is that the usual place to get it ..sorry to ask so many questions ...

Feeling very positive today so sending you girls some too ,hope it helps ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

#25 ·
Jetula

Its Rosemarys health food and its whey to go protein powder.  I did post the link on my last 2 posts but they got lost as I said.  Let me know if you have probs with that.  Sorry I know what its like when you want to find something out.

Minxy - yeh I remember the one in my head before ec last time and I think the standard ones in the legs as you've explained.  Seems like we have similar.  Mine also went on a refersher course so too recently.  I also had a ear seed on sticky tape.    Crystal Palace is a little far for me to go I guess its easy for you if you live that way.  Thanks anyway for the help.  How are you feeling in the 2ww?

Superted x

#26 ·
Thanks Superted

now I know your all gonna be shouting at me ..but one more please

can I only buy this on line,anywhere local that sells it ?Is delivery quite quick and should I get a large size ??sorry so many questions  ^idiot^...I won't ask again (we'll maybe not till i get home anyway as can't use the computer at my desk ..Thanks Girls )

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.