* Author Topic: help - ANA & Lupus Anti Coagolant? Heparin & Clexane ??  (Read 3507 times)

0 Members

Offline NVH

• Gold Member
Hello Everyone...

I wonder if you can help me...my gp has just rang to tell me that my ana and lupus anti coagolant is borderline positive.  So for those of you out there who are experts on bloods please help me  :-*

What does ANA mean and is this anti bodies  ???  (what drugs are normally prescribed for this)

What is Lupus anti coagolant - is this blood clotting  ^idiot^

Lastly what is the difference between heparin and clexane  ???

Thank you  ;)

Offline Florrie girl

• Gold Member
Hi Nvh

The lupus anticoagulant is part of the thrombophilia screen and definitely related to blood clotting and i think its a factor in recurrent miscarriages but i'm not sure how exactly -
I think the ANA is the anti nuclear antibodies which is more to do with the immune side of things where your body could react to its own body tissue.

Clexane is a form of heparin - there are lots of different types - Fragmin , Tinzaprin etc but they basically all do the same thing - thin the blood.

Great that you've found this out in the nick of time for your next cycle  ;)

Offline Betty M

• Gold Member
  • July 07
ANAs are antinuclear antibodies - they are antibodies which attack the cell nucleus. About 5% of people have them naturally. They can be a classic sign of an autoimmune disease like lupus or arthtritis or simply just an infection. The treatment is for the disease that causes it rather than the ANAs themselves. I have lupus and very high ANAs and the only treatment I needed for successful IVF was low dose aspirin.

Lupus anticogulant has nothing to do with lupus and also is not an anticoagulant as it clots the blood rather than the reverse! It is however one of the two blood tests done for a diagnosis of Hughes Syndrome (antiphospholipid syndrome) - which causes recurrent miscarriage. It is associated with both recurrent miscarriage  and thrombosis.  Heparin is the treatment and warfarin if it is a thrombosis issue.

Your GP  will be very unusual if he can accurately interpret your results from a fertility perspective and hopefully your fertility docs will be able to advise you on the best treatment.

Best of luck
Betty

Offline NVH

• Gold Member
Thank you girls for your reply.

Haster - you're not joking on the 'just in the nick of time'  3 wks til ec so I am cutting it fine for sure!  I'm gonna see MrS regardless of what WN do anyway.

Thanks thanks thanks

Offline ♥JJ1♥

• Gold Member
  • Thanks for all the bubbles
I had my appts with mr  and he prescibed me clexane a low molecular heparin injection and Prednisilone 25mg (in fact my GP converted 's prescription to an NHS one).  I need to start this a few days before ET.  Mr  is lovely and does inspire you with confidence.

Good LUck
L xx

Offline Emma74 aka Emmett

• VIP Member Sponsor
  • My Little Darlings Luca and Olivia xx
Tash-Glad your going to see  he is fantastic and so positive  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Love you lots
Emmaxx

Offline Teoroy

• Gold Member
Hi guys,
what is the difference between Prednisolone and Dexamethasone?

Offline Betty M

• Gold Member
  • July 07
They are both glucocorticoid steroids. Dexamethasone is about 10 times stronger than prednisolone. They act slightly differently and are used differently. Pred. is more common and is used more when steroids are needed long term - I have takenn them for months in the past. Wikipedia has quite good info on both. I have no idea what difference there is in IF treatment.

Betty

Offline Teoroy

• Gold Member
Thank you Betty. I will have a look.

Free Butterfly PIN

Butterfly Pin

Everyone who donates gets a free discreet butterfly pin.
Many of our members are using these to help spot each other at clinics and group meetups!

* Search

Recent Topics

Suggested Reads!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal