* Author Topic: IVF - Only 2 follicles  (Read 6618 times)

0 Members

Offline Lamby1

• Un-Ranked
modify
IVF - Only 2 follicles
« on: 2/08/04, 15:50 »
I've just come back from my 1st scan today and there's only 2 follicles - one on each ovary.  I have been on 300iu of Menopur for 5 days and they are now upping the dosage to 450iu for the next couple of days to see if that will make a difference.  I'm feeling a bit worried about this - can anyone reassure me that this is ok please ?

thanks everyone,
love Lamby
xxxxx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline MollyW

• Gold Member
    modify
    Re:Only 2 follicles
    « Reply #1 on: 2/08/04, 16:09 »
    Hi Lamby

I only had one follie for my IUI last month and got a BFP!  It's the quality, not the quantity that counts.

Good luck
    Love Molly
    x

Offline Dee

• Somewhere Over The Rainbow ... Dreams DO come true!
    • Gold Member
    • The Dream Came True Twice!
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 2/08/04, 19:34 »
    Dear Lamby

I know it is easier said than done, but please try not to worry.
    I have never had anymore than 3 follies and am now nearly 23 weeks pregnant.

Molly is right ....... think quality not quantity!

Good luck
    Love
    Dee
    xxx

Offline jemima

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 2/08/04, 20:52 »
    Hi Lamby

I'm 34 and have only just completed my first IVF cycle.  At my 1st scan on day 8 they could only confirm one follicle and possibly a couple of much smaller ones.  The clinic recommended that I abandoned the cycle and started again on a higher dosage (my second cycle would then have been NHS funded also) but I wanted to continue to see how far I could get and possibly gain much needed information regarding egg quality and fertilisation etc.

At my egg collection they recovered one egg from the large follicle which subsequently fertilised and was implanted last Friday.

Its good that your clinic scanned you at day 5 and they have increased your dosage.  You may produce further eggs with enough time for them to mature before egg collection (I was apparently too late at day 8 and needed to fit in with my clinics tight schedule).  

I agree with Molly, its quality not quantity. Also with fewer eggs to collect I think that your body is better placed to recover after egg collection and that your uterus etc should remain calm ready for embryo transfer and hopefully allow a successfull implantation.

Hope this helps and good luck with the rest of your cycle.

Jx

Offline Vicki

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 2/08/04, 20:59 »
    Lamby

I'm a 'low responder' as well... I got three follicles, three eggs, two fertilised and were transferred. The emphasis from all the staff was quality, quality, quality.. Dee is clearly proof in the pudding!

V

Offline monicatje

• Un-Ranked
    • Instituto Marques, Barcelona, Spain
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 3/08/04, 10:17 »
    Hi Lamby,

I am on my second ICSI attempt and the first time produced 3 follicles and subsequently 2 high-grade embryos - but it was a BFN in the end. This time I still only have 2 developed follies ( and 1 that is too small) after taking the maximum dose of Gonal-F for 12 days. Today, I had my 3rd scan in 6 days and they have agreed to go ahead with the EC for Friday.

Also, see my posts and replies about this on this thread:

https://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=72;action=display;threadid=10845

I completely understand how you feel as I am also very concerned about this but as everyone says it only needs 1 good one in the end to make it work!  :)

You do feel a bit inadequate though when other people are talking about 10 or 15 eggs, but other people have said that the quality seems to be better when the quantity is low! Anyway, good luck with your EC and ET.

With lots of love and luck to everyone,
    Monica

Offline Lamby1

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 3/08/04, 20:23 »
    Thank you so much for all of your replies!  I do feel much calmer now about it all and reassured.  Will just have to wait and see what happens in my next scan tomorrow.

Thanks again to all of you,
    heaps of love,
    Lamby
    xxxxx

Offline Lamby1

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #7 on: 4/08/04, 12:02 »
    well it seems that sadly the higher dosage has not made any difference - had another scan this morning and there's still only 2 follicles and no sign of any smaller ones to develop.  I asked the nurse if it was likely that I would get anymore and I think she didn't really want to commit herself but kind of implied that the fact that there were no smaller ones, it's unlikley.

She said that if there were only 2, they probably wouldn't do an egg collection but that it would be suitable for an IUI cycle.  I realise that this means it hasn't totally been a waste of time but I'm still really disappointed nonetheless.   I'm also concerned that if we go ahead with IUI on 2 follicles, does that mean they both could fertilise?  We have thought long and hard about the possibility of twins and decided it wouldn't be what we wanted so I'm not sure what we'll do.  

Feeling really sad and fed up with it all,
    love lamby
    xxxxxx