* Author Topic: 'This Morning' Expert on Infertility in older women  (Read 5327 times)

0 Members

Offline Heres Hoping

• Un-Ranked
modify
Re: 'This Morning' Expert on Infertility in older women
« Reply #20 on: 29/02/08, 07:35 »
Hi
My friend's cousin has just had a baby at the ripe "old" age of 46...she conceived naturally following 3 failed IVF attempts.

I too am horrified at how quickly a woman's fertility declines - we went to an open evening at an IVF clinic last night and got the full biology lesson - scary what you don't realise about your own body!

I got married at 37 and we started ttc straight the way. 2 years and 2 months on we've been told IVF is the best way forward - I'll be 40 in July.

I've done what I consider to be the responsible thing in life i.e find the right man, get married etc etc etc and now I find we're struggling...would I wait if I had my life again? I'm not so sure...

xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Laura68

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #21 on: 6/03/08, 18:34 »
    To Here's Hoping

Your story is the same as mine - I did not meet my wonderful husband until I was in my mid thirties, and we started ttc before we were married.  Three years later, we are still childless.  I feel like I am being punished for being older.  I am 40 this year and feel time is rushing pas me.  Meanwhile, my friend who is also 40 this year got pregnant after 8 months, having been told she may never conceive as her FSH was high.  Life just seems very unfair sometimes - if I could have met DH earlier, I would have done, but what can you do???

We went for IVF (King's) last December.  All went well until ET - when we were told all 15 of my embryos were low grade, fragmented.  Only 2 made it to 6 cell, and these grade three.  They were implanted.  Miraculously I  did get pregnant.  One strong heartbeat at 7 weeks, one squiggling bean at 9 weeks, one beautiful babe at 12 weeks - but sadly, huge chromosonal problems and had to have termination at 13 weeks.  Two weeks ago, we lost our dream.  We are truly heartbroken.  Feel again like I'm being punished - my age = crap eggs = sick baby = no children.

I feel very angry and am terrified to try again in case we get pregnant with another sick child, or worse still, I never get pregnant again.

Good luck to all you ladies xx

Offline lucymorgan

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #22 on: 6/03/08, 18:48 »
    Laura so sorry to hear your news.  Its hard isn't it and so disappointing.  I have had 3 m/cs and it is my age and egg quality.  Yet some women at the same age just pop them out......... I met my DH 8 years ago but thought I could have it all and wait, little did I realise.  But we do have a lovely DS and a woman at work has 2 kids but just suffered irregular periods and has been told if she tried to conceive now it could be difficult.  Shes only 32 so its really lucky she has already had 2 kids. 

its been 5 weeks now and I thought I was on the mend but the last week at work has been a nightmare, as I'm stressed from the m/c I have been operating at 60% of my capacity and feel like my brain is surrounded by a fog.  And I need to operate at a high level and be top performing, but I'm not and its really scaring me.

LucyMxxxxxxx

Offline Laura68

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #23 on: 6/03/08, 21:07 »
    Thanks Lucy.  It does help to know there are other ladies out there who are struggling too - I know their strength makes me stronger!  So sorry you have had such a rough time.  It's very hard to just pick yourself up and go back to work as if nothing's happened isn't it?  But life does go on and we should all choose to go with it, it's the right thing to do.  Who knows what the future holds?  But do look after yourself - don't expect too much too soon.  You have to be allowed to accept where you are, to feel low and to take the time to get better.

I wish you all the luck in the world and until then, squeeze your DS tight, like I do with my baby niece.  It makes me feel so much better when she smiles at me, she doesn't know about all the pain! 

I hope 2008 is kind to both of us.

Thanks for replying xx

Offline Jo

• A Very Proud Godmother & Mother x x
    • Gold Member
    • Charlie and Mummy x x
    modify
    « Reply #24 on: 6/03/08, 21:58 »
    Thinking of all you lovely ladies, and really hope your dreams become reality very soon :)

Take care
    Love Jo
    x x x

Offline juliemac

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #25 on: 10/03/08, 16:23 »
    Hi Ann

Am almost 44 and have just got BFP.  This was 2nd go at ICSI but we got blasts this time.  1st time I was only 35 and none of my 9 embryos made it.  I drank protein shakes before and during treatment and have been having regular acupuncture.  Don't know if it made a difference but I feel it has helped.

Best wishes

Juliemac

Offline Ann_P

• Please let ME be a mummy TOO....
    modify
    « Reply #26 on: 10/03/08, 17:25 »

Wow! JulieMac...Congratulations! ^banana^ ^banana^ Thats fantastic, well done! That really gives us all hope, see the experts aren't always right...

I'm starting to get impressed by acupuncture, a lot of people seem to be doing well on it. I know it can't make your eggs any younger but it does seem to be doing something. I think I'm going to have to give it a try.

Good luck with everything Julie I hope it all goes well. Do keep in touch & let us know howyou're progressing. Lots of bubbles for ya!

Ann x

Offline Happy Mummy

• Gold Member
    • happy
    modify
    « Reply #27 on: 10/03/08, 18:29 »
    congratulations Julie! this is wonderful news.
    Are you having accu with chinese herbs? or is it 5 elements accu? May I ask who is your accu?
    Future Mummy

Offline Denlake

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #28 on: 11/03/08, 14:04 »
    Hi ladies,

Wanted to come in on this thread as a pregnant oldie (42.5) who met my DP in my late-ish thirties, yes we do have to be realistic about our fertility but I have found the med profession keeps us in check in that dept, they certainly did me anyway at every opportunity. I was told I had less than 5% chance of conceiving with IVF and nearly gave up ( I still keep that letter for posterity even though I do understand their need to give me a reality check) but we managed it following unsuccessful IUI attempts and fluctuating E2 and FSH, though granted I'm not the greatest responder. What I really hopped on to tell you was that a work colleague has just been celebrating the birth of her sister's baby......................at 49  :o !!!!!!!! Apparently she was thought to be in the menopause as no periods or scant ones so she didn't even do a test until 3 months. She has had a breeze of a pregnancy, no sickness like the ones in her twenties and whilst initially shocked is delighted to be a mum again. She did have 2 children in her late twenties but hasn't even bothered to use contraception since she was 45 due to the fact she was told she was in menopause. Now I know this is an unusual case but it just shows us oldies can defy the stats and she obviously wasn't super fertile as it would have probably happened in the previous 4 years when she wasn't using contraception but she was.......... it seems still producing the odd good egg for this to happen.

I posted earlier about my friends FSH dropping like a stone....................a week for defying stats I think and I do so like to see that happen as it gives us all hope.

So girls sending you loads of  ^reiki^ vibes for some good easter eggs in there !

Dee x