* Author Topic: LGBT Legal issues inc. Lesbian couples named on birth Certificates  (Read 90121 times)

0 Members

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
modify
Re: LGB legal issues
« Reply #100 on: 30/06/09, 21:57 »
Agreed - it does no harm to sign them. 

Strictly speaking what the law says (which is not exactly what the HFEA says!) is that if a woman is in a civil partnership and conceives by artificial insemination or embryo transfer, then her civil partner is the child's second legal parent 'unless it is shown that she does not consent'. 

In other words, to disprove parenthood, someone has to establish that a civil partner does not consent, and that is a question of fact, not of what the paperwork says.  The paperwork may therefore be evidence but it isn't conclusive.  This means that there is no need for civil partners to sign consent forms to establish parenthood.  Equally, signing a form to say you don't consent wouldn't necessarily exclude your parenthood if the form was not supported by the facts.

For non-civil partners the situation is different.  You do (both) have to sign the parenthood election forms before conception for the non-birth mother to be treated as the legal parent, and the paperwork is conclusive - if you sign it, you are a parent; if not, you are not.

Hope that makes sense!

Natalie

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline katena

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #101 on: 20/07/09, 17:33 »

Offline lesbo_mum

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #102 on: 20/07/09, 17:38 »
    fab artical Katena but 700 for a IUI cycle  ::) where do they get these figures from... find me a clinic who do donor IUI for 700  ^idiot^

Dont read the comments at the bottom made by people it will just annoy you   >:(

Offline katena

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #103 on: 20/07/09, 17:42 »
     :o :o >:( >:(

OMG!!!

No dont read the responses - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Idiots!!!!

k

Offline lesbo_mum

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #104 on: 20/07/09, 17:47 »
    some people are still so small minded hun and stuck back in the 1800's  ::)

Offline dyketastic

• Evie Susan
    modify
    « Reply #105 on: 20/07/09, 18:10 »
    The comments are just ridiculous  ^idiot^ ^idiot^ but it still angers me to read it grrrrr  ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    http://www.gambleandghevaert.com/blog/

Hooray - we're finally there!

Natalie

/links

moo2275

Yipee!!! I'll never forget DPs sad look as disappontment when we realised there was no where for her name to go on DS' birth cert :(. We better cracking on making number 2 then!

Offline BecsW

Ooh...I am a little bit confused...I thought that any child conceived through a clinic with same sex parents from 6th April 2009 onwards both get to put their name on the birth certificate, so I had assumed that this was legal from the 6th April?  I am 9 weeks pregnant (conceived in mid July) will both our names be on the certificate? We deliberately waited until after the 6th April cut off to ensure that we both would be but I am a bit worried now...
    Becs

Offline Pinktink

• Gold Member
    No you are right, any baby conceived after 6th april is covered by the act but 1st september is the first time a baby could be born who is covered by the legislation (hopefully not as they would be extremely premature)

It's something that we are both really happy about...

xx  :)