* Author Topic: LGBT Legal issues inc. Lesbian couples named on birth Certificates  (Read 90114 times)

0 Members

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
Hi Becs

As Pinktink says, don't worry - you will be covered if you conceived in July.  The registrars are just getting themselves ready for the actual registrations as from tomorrow, although I very much hope it'll be a few months yet before there are any arrivals.

Just out of curiosity, of all those PG here, it would be interesting to know who was closest to 6th April and stands the chance of being the first registration.....

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline lucky2010

• Gold Member
    Hi nat,

do we count as well even though we're using a known donor and not going through a clinic? We are civil partnered. Hope so!

Thanks

rach

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    Yes, provided you conceived after 6 April 2009, were civil partners at the time and conceived through artificial insemination rather than intercourse (although I'll be interested to see how many registrars are brave enough to clarify the final point!).

Offline Skybreeze

• VIP Member Sponsor
    Just wanted to say what fantastic news this is!!  ;D ;D ;D

I am so pleased that finally something has changed for the better!  :)

Natalie xxx

Offline Damelottie

• FF Missus Sparkly Motivator!
    • VIP Member Sponsor
    • Single mummy to my precious 6 yr old son
    Fabulous news  :)

Offline jude888

does this new legislation apply in Northern Ireland as well ?? am assuming so seeing as civil partnerships happen here? but just wondered - would love any advice please

jude

Offline leoaimee

• Gold Member
    this is amazingly fab news!!  i would have our no 2 baby in the uk just to take advantage of the legislation!!!  amazing!

it would be coolio if one of the FFers was the FIRST!

axxx

Offline Avalonian

• Un-Ranked
    Hello everyone,
    it's been a while and we have managed to get pregnant with a known donor in July. Do you know if the legislation applies to Scotland as well? And does anyone know of a lesbian friendly solicitor in Aberdeen? We are trying to get stuff sorted out legally but it is a bit scary.
    Thanks for the help,
    Avalonian

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    Hi Avalonian - Yes the new parenthood rules apply throughout the UK so will cover you in Scotland as well as England.  If you were civil partners when you conceived, you should therefore both be treated as parents automatically without needing to take any further steps.  If not, you may need some legal advice about applying for adoption.  I have a contact in Edinburgh who may be able to help - PM me if you would like me to send you the details.

Hi Jude - I've just replied to your question on Ask a Lawyer too (and sorry for the delay) but yes you will also be covered in Northern Ireland.

Best wishes

Natalie

Offline Avalonian

• Un-Ranked
    Thank you Natalie.
    This is really great news and a huge relief. We had a civil partnership two years ago, so we should be fine. Thank you for the advice.
    Avalonian