* Author Topic: LGBT Legal issues inc. Lesbian couples named on birth Certificates  (Read 90441 times)

0 Members

Offline Hales :)

• Gold Member
I've got a vague recollection (I could be wrong) that as you are civil partners your partner will automatically be named as other parent.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    Hi Brazil (and Hales)

If you are civil partners at the time of conception, then you and your partner are the legal parents (provided you conceive 'artificially' and both consent to the conception) and can both be named on the birth certificate.  The registrar will just ask to see your civil partnership certificate when you go and register the birth.  You don't need to go through an adoption process.

Best of luck with TTC!

Natalie

Offline floralou

• Un-Ranked
    Sorry I haven't had chance to read through this entire topic....was just wondering if anybody could give any rough ballpark figures as to how much parental responsibility costs, and also how much adoption proceedings cost??

OH and I were wanting to get our civil partnership next year (have started planning etc etc) but want to start TTC this year....and obviously need to factor in saving up for legal fees if we conceive before we are CP'd.

I know it varies from place to place...but I can't find any prices anywhere so dont know whether we're looking at 100 or 10,000.

Offline Hales :)

• Gold Member
    Hi Laura - If you are going through a licensed fertility clinic for treatment you don't need to get parental responsibility, you both just need to sign consent forms PP & WP to give consent to being the 'Other parent' on the birth certificate.  We aren't CP'd yet, but I am on the birth certificate in this way.

Offline floralou

• Un-Ranked
    Hi Hales,

Thanks for your reply :)

We're not using a clinic unfortunately, we're using a known donor...

x

Offline BecsW

Hi BizzE3, As far as I know you need to be in a CP first, unfortunately, it is not possible to backdate. I also think that you are right, if you use a UK clinic as long as you both sign the consent forms then you can both be on the birth certificate (without being in a CP), not sure this applies to clinics abroad though. When we were trying to conceive, we realised that if we conceived in the March (09) then we wouldn't both be on the birth certificate because the legislation was not brought in until April 09, so we decided to wait a month, it was heartbreaking at the time, I just wanted to get on with trying but we both wanted to be on the birth certificate so much that we decided that, for us, it was the right decision to wait. Would this be a way forward for you? Could you get CPed first and delay your treatment by a month?
    Becs x

Offline floralou

• Un-Ranked
    Anybody...??? :(

Sorry I haven't had chance to read through this entire topic....was just wondering if anybody could give any rough ballpark figures as to how much parental responsibility costs, and also how much adoption proceedings cost??

OH and I were wanting to get our civil partnership next year (have started planning etc etc) but want to start TTC this year....and obviously need to factor in saving up for legal fees if we conceive before we are CP'd.

I know it varies from place to place...but I can't find any prices anywhere so dont know whether we're looking at 100 or 10,000.

Offline BecsW

Hi BizzE3-All we needed to take along was our civil partnership certificate, so I guess if you're talking about a matter of days they may be hard pushed to prove that the conception was prior to your CP. But I am just guessing here, it is possible I suppose that as you got CPed the same month your baby was conceived and the registrar realises how close the dates must be the registrar may ask for some info from your clinic about insem dates :-\ ? I doubt it though. I think it is worth asking NatGamble (fertility lawyer who answers Qs on this thread). I think if it was me I would push back the tx 1 month then you won't have anything to worry about re the birth certificate.

Laura, sorry I don't know the costs involved for PR or adoption but didn't want to read and run. My partner and I decided that, for us, it was really important that we were both on the birth certificate so we got CPed first.

Very best of luck to both of you
    Becs x

Offline lucky2010

• Gold Member
    Hi Laura,

Getting PR costs nothing. My partner and I were civil partnered when we conceived our son but it was before the law change so  she had to get PR for him which was pretty straight forward. If you conceive now you can both be named on the birth certificate anyway if you are CP'd at conception or if you are not CP's and conceive through a clinic.

Good luck.

Rach

Offline floralou

• Un-Ranked
    Hey Rach - thanks for your reply.

It seems a lot more straight forward going through a clinic, but unfortunately we'll never be able to afford to do that so are inseming at home with a known donor. I know that means we'll have to go through the adoption process rather than OH being named on the birth certificate, because we won't be CP'd until next year.

Just trying to work out how much more money we need to budget for...

Laura x