* Author Topic: LGBT Legal issues inc. Lesbian couples named on birth Certificates  (Read 90443 times)

0 Members

Offline kedmo1

Check out the stonewall guide to lesbian pregnancy, you can download it for free from stonewall site. Its a helpful booklet and its easy to understand the legal information.
http://www.stonewall.org.uk/at_home/parenting/3463.asp

You can also just get CP really easily, you can just sign cp document for about 50, if monies tight and then have a cermony later on when you have cash.  Just an idea to make birth very thing easier?

Good luck

/links

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Blondie80

I have a very quick question and would appreciate some guidance;

My wife and I married abroad (I am English, she is American) and I know that our marriage is the equivalent to a CP, here.

For us to both be named on the birth certificate, do we show our marriage certificate, as its the equivalent of a CP. Or Do we need to 'register' our marriage here - is there such a thing?

Thank you,
    Blondie80

Offline welshginge

• Gold Member
    Good question, I don't know I'm afraid but hopefully someone will. x

Offline motos

The UK will recognise people in a same-sex marriage from abroad as being in a civil partnership here. I don't know if that means that you can just turn up with your overseas marriage certificate, I assume so - I suspect the Google Encyclopedia will be able to tell youl

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    Yep that's right - no need to register an overseas marriage here: it simply is a civil partnership under English law, and you just need to take your foreign marriage certificate along.

Natalie

Offline Blondie80

Thanks Natalie; much appreciated.

Offline jash

• Un-Ranked
    Could anyone help please?
    I have had blast and in the middle of my 2 ww. If (fingers crossed it is) I test +ve, can my girlfriend go onto our child's birth certificate as the other parent?
    We had the procedure done in the Ukraine by both egg and sperm donors that remain anon forever.

Thank you
    Jackie.

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    Hi Jackie

If you were civil partners at the time of your embryo transfer, then you can both go on the birth certificate (you just need to show your CP to the registrar when registering the birth).  If not, then you can go on the birth certificate as the mother but your partner can't go in the other slot.  You'll need to make an application after the birth to make her a parent - it's a pretty straightforward process but does take some time.

Fingers crossed for your TWW!

Natalie

Offline tinabean

• Me (f) 42, Partner (f) 40
    I have a question/ need advice.  We have a donor from co-parents.net. We are happy with him and are assured by him that he would not want any contact with any potential child. Should/can we get him to sign something to say this? We are CP'd so are also assuming my wife could be on birth cert too?

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    Hi tinabean

It would do absolutely no harm, but isn't essential.  If you are civil partners then you will be the legal parents (named on the birth certificate) and your donor will not be your child's legal father.  That is the case whether you have something in writing with him or not, and it completely excludes his financial responsibility. 

You can never completely exclude the donor's potential rights to apply to court for contact in the future (and the court has very flexible powers to give rights to any adult if they consider it in the child's best interests)  but your donor would have an uphill struggle, and would have to get the court's permission to apply.  Having something in writing might be helpful if this were to happen, though every case is unique and there isn't a lot of previous court history of dealing with these types of cases at the moment, so it's difficult to say how much it might help you.

I hope that's helpful, although sorry it isn't more clear cut!

Natalie