* Author Topic: LGBT Legal issues inc. Lesbian couples named on birth Certificates  (Read 90127 times)

0 Members

Offline TerriWW

modify
Re: LGB legal issues
« Reply #20 on: 12/05/08, 09:00 »
Natalie

I heard you on radio 5 this morning and overheard something I didn't know and that is really good news for our family. Our son was conceived in 2004 (born 05) and so had an anonymous donor. I always wanted a traceable one but back then they didn't allow that in the UK and I couldn't afford to go abroad. Second to that, if we eventually manage to conceive a second child then that child will be able to trace his/her donor (we have no sibling sperm). This has always bothered me - although it is out of my control. But then this morning I heard that Angus WILL be able to trace any half siblings conceived by his donor if he wants. That is such good news to me and my partner and I can't believe I never thought to ask that. And it at leasts gives angus something if he is curious.

So thanks for that and I just wanted to post this as I suspect there might be other people out there in who have used anonymous donors and didn't know this fact.

Terri

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    modify
    « Reply #21 on: 12/05/08, 11:20 »
    Hi Terri

Yes the new right to contact donor siblings is elsewhere in the Bill, and it will affect all children conceived since 1991 (when the HFEA register began).  Like you, I'm pleased for my kids who won't ever be able to find out who the donor was.

As this doesn't seem to be being contested by anyone, it's pretty sure to go through.

Offline nismat

• VIP Member Sponsor
    • The Boy
    modify
    « Reply #22 on: 13/05/08, 12:22 »
    So does this mean that all children conceived using anonymous donors between 1991 and the law change in April 2005 will be able to access info on the donor (once they reach 18), even if the donor hadn't given consent to be traceable?

I can see that this is good for the children, but it's a massive change of circumstance for the donors if this is the case!

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    modify
    « Reply #23 on: 13/05/08, 14:32 »
    No only children conceived after 2005 will be able to find out about the donor.  But all children conceived since 1991 will be able to get in touch with genetic siblings (and that only includes other donor-conceived children, not the donor's own children).

Offline rosypie

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #24 on: 13/05/08, 23:27 »
    That's a really good piece of news. I'd heard something or other about it but hadn't quite believed it was what I thought it was.

I wonder, if a half-sib 'finds' J or B, will contact come through HFEA (or other body) direct to them? If so, will this end the debate about 'telling/not telling the children about the donor'? I guess there are children born within the period who will be 18 pretty soon and could trace half-sibs almost as soon as the change is implemented. It's an interesting thought that some of those might not even know yet that they were donor conceived...

Offline SANFRAN06

modify
    « Reply #25 on: 14/05/08, 22:57 »
    Hi nat,
    We have read your advice which all makes sense but to clarify.....
    we are pregnant via clinic with unknown donor sperm. We want my partner to have PR from birth incase of medical problems with our babies. We would also like her to adopt at 6 months. Any guidance for this and ideas of cost???
    Thanks
    K+J

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    modify
    « Reply #26 on: 15/05/08, 18:23 »
    Hi Rosypie - It won't quite work like that as it's just a facility for putting half-sibs who want to contact each other if they both consent and are over 18.  So donor-conceived children won't suddenly get contacted by the HFEA out of the blue.  They will have to ask if any of their siblings want contact, and if so, details will be swapped.

Hi K+J - If you are civil partners you can sign a PR agreement once the birth is registered and that's absolutely free.  The court fee for adoption is 140 per child (so don't have triplets!).  You don't need a solicitor to represent you in court if you have an anonymous donor (despite what some would tell you!) and you can run the application yourselves.  However, you might find it useful to sit down with a solicitor just to run through the process, help you fill in the forms etc before you start (I can do that for you if you like).  The only cases I've seen go off-track have been because social services/ the courts have got themselves in a muddle over the type of application being made, so being absolutely clear about the legal basis of your application can be helpful and ensure everything goes through without a hitch.

Offline rosypie

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #27 on: 15/05/08, 21:55 »
    Hi Rosypie - It won't quite work like that as it's just a facility for putting half-sibs who want to contact each other if they both consent and are over 18.  So donor-conceived children won't suddenly get contacted by the HFEA out of the blue.  They will have to ask if any of their siblings want contact, and if so, details will be swapped.

So they can only trace half-sibs who have also registered? And you've got to know about it to register and get up off your backside to register? How potentially disappointing...

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    modify
    « Reply #28 on: 16/05/08, 15:03 »
    Each sperm donor can give to 10 families, and some of those will have several children, so the chances of at least a few of them wanting to find their siblings are pretty high I reckon.  The same won't be the case for children of egg donors, where there are likely to be far fewer siblings out there.  It will be interesting to see what happens with this in practice when we get that far.

Offline rosypie

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #29 on: 16/05/08, 20:35 »
    I just wonder how many people are going to know about it to do it at all... it's only because of reading boards like this that I (and eventually my children) know this even exists. I could just have easily missed it.

Whatever happens, it will be interesting to see.