* Author Topic: LGBT Legal issues inc. Lesbian couples named on birth Certificates  (Read 90120 times)

0 Members

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
modify
Re: LGB legal issues
« Reply #40 on: 8/06/08, 08:12 »
Sounds like a good plan.  Actually, we did the same and it was lovely.  We registered our CP the day the new law came in in December (with just our immediate family) and then had our wedding outdoors the following summer.  It was great because we made our wedding ceremony really personal - no script to follow so we said what we really meant.  And both days felt really special. 

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline leoaimee

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #41 on: 12/06/08, 13:32 »
    thanks natgamble

that is really helpfull.  we could register over a couple of holiday trips back to the uk.

aimeex

Offline SANFRAN06

modify
    « Reply #42 on: 27/06/08, 10:34 »
    Hi
    Just to say we have our CP booked for the 10th July so the boys need to hang on in there!!!
    Bought our outfits and rings and getting our heads around it. Cant wait now and looking forward to it.
    Thanks Nat for all your help
    Kerry and Jen

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    modify
    « Reply #43 on: 27/06/08, 13:05 »
    Hoorah - congratulations in advance! ;D

Offline SANFRAN06

modify
    « Reply #44 on: 24/07/08, 14:45 »
    Hi Nat
    CP was a really lovely day. We enjoyed it more than we thought and love being wives!!!!
    Babies hanging on in there. Where do we get the PR form from?? Can we get it now so we are prepared as we will be so busy soon!! Keep searching the net and can not find out where to start.
    Thanks again
    Kerry and Jen

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    modify
    « Reply #45 on: 24/07/08, 16:47 »
    Awww brilliant - many congratulations.

The PR form is at http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/cpra2_1205.pdf

BW

Natalie

Offline SANFRAN06

modify
    « Reply #46 on: 26/07/08, 16:12 »
    Thanks so much Nat
    Its so easy when you know how!! If only I had asked you a week ago?
    Kerry

Offline TerriWW

modify
    « Reply #47 on: 2/09/08, 11:58 »
    Hi Nat

I've a question for you.

My partner and I are in the middle of our 'surrogacy' (tecnically she has donated the embryos to me as we can do surrogacy as you know) ie I've got her embryos due to womb lining issues she had (we test on friday!!)

We had 2 put back and 2 more went on to blastocysts and were frozen. BUT.. apparently we are not allowed to use these frozen ones for 6 months (if this cycle does not work). This is somethnig to do with a rule/law(?)not being allowed to use donated frozen gametes until they have been frozen for 6 months. I'm guessing this is like frozen sperm ie so they can retest the donor and you know they have nothing that be passed on. BUT - in our case this is ridiculous - she's my partner!! I've just had her fresh embryos!

Our issue is, I'm 39 beginning of november and we have been trying to conceive with julia for 3 years. Now if this cycle doesn't work, I don't really want to wait until february/march to try with the frozen ones as I'll then be heading for 40 and if they don't work, the chances of us having a second child with my own eggs is getting slimmer and slimmer. I'd want to try with me until the frozen ones were available - but obviously this is not easy for my partner (our first child is biologically mine and it would be best if our second could be hers).

Ideally we would want to try again straight away with the frozen one. If it didn't work then, we'd try with my eggs and I think my partner could accept that easier. But having two frozen blastocycts sitting there would make it hard for her to want me to try with my eggs.

Hope that all makes sense but after all that, my question is... is this a law ie that they have to stay frozen for 6 months or is it just a HFEA 'rule'. It obviously takes no account of civil partnerships. Could we get them to make an exception for us if I contacted them or is it literally a law of the land that we can be made exception to?

any info much appreciated.

Thanks

Terri

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    modify
    « Reply #48 on: 4/09/08, 14:33 »
    Hi Terri

This is challengeable.  The HFEA Code of practice says:

"Gamete providers in surrogacy arrangements are expected to be screed in accordance with screening requirements for donors of gametes for treatment."

First of all that makes it clear that it is the normal rule, but not an absolute condition.  Second of all, I would dispute that you are in a surrogacy arrangement anyway.  A 'surrogate mother' is defined at law as a woman who carries a child with a view to any child being handed over to another person.  You are not giving your baby away, so it is not a surrogacy arrangement.

Since there is no requirement to quarantine donated eggs (for practical reasons - the survival rates are poor), then I can't see any reason why your embryos should be quarantined for six months.

I'd go back to your clinic and say all of this and if you are still having trouble let me know and I'll wade in for you.

Good luck

Natalie

Offline TerriWW

modify
    « Reply #49 on: 4/09/08, 15:23 »
    Thanks for that Nat

The clinic don't class us as a 'surrogate' case - that was just my wording because you have to be married to use a surrogate due to parental rights ie the biological father would automatically have parental rights to the baby he and his wife have used a surrogate for. The clinic classed us in the donated embryos grouping - ie julia had to do all the donor screening and go on the donor register so she could donate to me......

Anyway, as it happens, things have changed rapidly in the last 2 days as we tested early and got a BFP!!!!!!!! Hurray! Very early though so still good to know we can challenge it should anything go wrong.

Also this means we can now start thinking properly about our CP and wills so may be getting in touch re this soon.

Thanks

Terri