* Author Topic: LGBT Legal issues inc. Lesbian couples named on birth Certificates  (Read 90119 times)

0 Members

Offline mosie32

• Un-Ranked
modify
Re: LGB legal issues
« Reply #70 on: 28/02/09, 19:12 »
Hi,

Do the changes that come in after 6 April re: both partner's being the legal parents & named on the birth cert apply if you are doing home insemination with your donor, or is it just if you go through a clinic? 

Thanks, Polly

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline leoaimee

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #71 on: 28/02/09, 19:19 »
    im just guessing Polly hopefully Nat will be along to answer your question, but i would think because of the legal ambiguity around using a known donor it wouldnt be the same .... but its just a guess.

Offline nismat

• VIP Member Sponsor
    • The Boy
    modify
    « Reply #72 on: 28/02/09, 19:59 »
    Polly, the new law does apply if you're doing home insems, but only if you're in a civil partnership. I would think that you would probably need to be in a CP at the time of conception, rather than at the time of birth, given that the laws apply to babies conceived on or after April 6th. That's just a guess though.
    If you're already doing insems, then you could potentially run into issues over "proving" the date of conception. On the whole, if you were required to prove it, they would probably work back from the due date.

Offline leoaimee

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #73 on: 28/02/09, 20:13 »
    thats great!!!  thanks nismat for clarifying!

Offline mosie32

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #74 on: 1/03/09, 17:47 »
    Thanks for clarifying, that is wonderful news! 

Our donor was going to donate via a clinic so that we had the legal protection in place for us all, but they've not been great and it's taken forever...  so it's great that we can talk to him about going ahead without the clinic & hopefully start in April.

My partner & I did our CP 2 1/2 yrs ago so we are okay on that front. 

I'm very excited now!   Thanks xxx

Offline single.mummy

modify
    « Reply #75 on: 12/03/09, 21:21 »
    Hi everyone
    I am new here. We have a four month old daughter and are hoping to try and conceive again later in the year. We use a local clinic though we are not in a CP (saving our money to have babies!!). Anyhow, my question was, post April 6th, do we have to be in a CP for DP to be named on the birth certificate of any future babies, should we be so fortunate. We have been a couple for 10 years this month and will that suffice or do we need the CP?
    Thanks in advance

Offline lesbo_mum

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #76 on: 12/03/09, 21:45 »
    Hiya

Welcome!!

you dont need to be in a CP if you use a HFEA reg clinic which im presuming you will be hun...

Where are u from?

Em x

Offline single.mummy

modify
    « Reply #77 on: 12/03/09, 22:10 »
    We live in Manchester and use a fully registered clinic. It is just a shame that the law had not been passed when we concieved our daughter, we will have to arrange for DP to adopt her. Oh well, an excuse for another party.
    Thanks

Offline pipgirl

• Gold Member
    • Kokapetal is here and now he has a little sister!
    modify
    « Reply #78 on: 13/03/09, 12:26 »
    Hi 2mummies

we too live in manchester and used one of the two private clinics for our baby which is due next week...we had our CP before concieving this pg, not because it made a differentce to the birth cert but so that DP would be my next of kin in law and able to make decisions for me and our baby (that sounds morbid) second to the fact that we loved each other of course!!!

i feel its such a shame that the law is not retrospective as it means DP cant be on this babies birth cert but both of us can be on a siblings...so unfair.

At the moment we are planning to ttc number two from jan 2010 ~(hopefully with DP carrying some of my frozen embies from this cycle) Big congrats on your baby!!!

We are also thinking of possibly making contact with an lbg parents group in the area after baby is born as we dont have many lgb friends and feel it may be important for baby in the future..not sure though..bit scary!!

Hope all is going well for you.

Pipgirl

Offline single.mummy

modify
    « Reply #79 on: 13/03/09, 19:25 »
    Ooh congratulations for next week (or anytime soon really), I bet you are really excited!!!
    Which hospital are you under, we had E at Hope hospital and they were really good. You don't say which part of Manchester you are from but if you are quite central I know they have a meet at Alexandra Park, Whalley Range on the 4th Saturday of the month for women with children. We haven't been yet, something always seems to be happening, so I don't know whether it is good or not but could be worth a luck.
    Anyway, all the best for next week.