Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

LGBT Legal issues inc. Lesbian couples named on birth Certificates

96K views 215 replies 57 participants last post by  NatGamble 
#1 ·
#102 ·
#103 ·
fab artical Katena but £700 for a IUI cycle  ::) where do they get these figures from... find me a clinic who do donor IUI for £700  ^idiot^

Dont read the comments at the bottom made by people it will just annoy you  :mad:

#104 ·
:eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

OMG!!!

No dont read the responses - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Idiots!!!!

k

#105 ·
some people are still so small minded hun and stuck back in the 1800's  ::)

#106 ·
The comments are just ridiculous  ^idiot^ ^idiot^ but it still angers me to read it grrrrr  ^bigbad^ ^bigbad^

#109 ·
Ooh...I am a little bit confused...I thought that any child conceived through a clinic with same sex parents from 6th April 2009 onwards both get to put their name on the birth certificate, so I had assumed that this was legal from the 6th April?  I am 9 weeks pregnant (conceived in mid July) will both our names be on the certificate? We deliberately waited until after the 6th April cut off to ensure that we both would be but I am a bit worried now...
Becs

#110 ·
No you are right, any baby conceived after 6th april is covered by the act but 1st september is the first time a baby could be born who is covered by the legislation (hopefully not as they would be extremely premature)

It's something that we are both really happy about...

xx  :)

#111 ·
Hi Becs

As Pinktink says, don't worry - you will be covered if you conceived in July.  The registrars are just getting themselves ready for the actual registrations as from tomorrow, although I very much hope it'll be a few months yet before there are any arrivals.

Just out of curiosity, of all those PG here, it would be interesting to know who was closest to 6th April and stands the chance of being the first registration.....

#112 ·
Hi nat,

do we count as well even though we're using a known donor and not going through a clinic? We are civil partnered. Hope so!

Thanks

rach

#113 ·
Yes, provided you conceived after 6 April 2009, were civil partners at the time and conceived through artificial insemination rather than intercourse (although I'll be interested to see how many registrars are brave enough to clarify the final point!).

#114 ·
Just wanted to say what fantastic news this is!!  ;D ;D ;D

I am so pleased that finally something has changed for the better!  :)

Natalie xxx

#115 ·
Fabulous news  :)

#117 ·
this is amazingly fab news!!  i would have our no 2 baby in the uk just to take advantage of the legislation!!!  amazing!

it would be coolio if one of the FFers was the FIRST!

axxx

#118 ·
Hello everyone,
it's been a while and we have managed to get pregnant with a known donor in July. Do you know if the legislation applies to Scotland as well? And does anyone know of a lesbian friendly solicitor in Aberdeen? We are trying to get stuff sorted out legally but it is a bit scary.
Thanks for the help,
Avalonian

#119 ·
Hi Avalonian - Yes the new parenthood rules apply throughout the UK so will cover you in Scotland as well as England.  If you were civil partners when you conceived, you should therefore both be treated as parents automatically without needing to take any further steps.  If not, you may need some legal advice about applying for adoption.  I have a contact in Edinburgh who may be able to help - PM me if you would like me to send you the details.

Hi Jude - I've just replied to your question on Ask a Lawyer too (and sorry for the delay) but yes you will also be covered in Northern Ireland.

Best wishes

Natalie

#121 ·
hi nat/everyone

well me and me dp have finally done it and we're expecting!!!! (EDD 13/06/10)

so, we're not married but plan to. my question is, if we get married before beany is born can her name go on the birth certificate??? and also (dont know if i'm allowed to ask this) if the answer is no, can we 'play dumb' and get married quickly then protest innocence???? does this make sense.... ^idiot^

thanx for advice ladies, showers of baby dust to u all

rach xx

#122 ·
Fantastic news - many congratulations!

Assuming that you didn't conceive at a clinic, then you have to be civil partners at the time of conception for the parenthood rules to apply.  Getting married before the birth won't be sufficient I'm afraid.

If you do miss the boat, all is not lost.  You can remedy things by going through the adoption process post-birth (and by signing a parental responsibility agreement which is a quicker stop-gap).

Happy to help if you want some guidance on this.

Natalie

#123 ·
Thanks Nat!
always happy to hear from u! i have contacted u in the past and hopefully in the new year will contact u at ur firm for further advise on our situation.

rach xx

#124 ·
OK, I have an obscure question I think! We are in a CP, I'm british, my partner is from Argentina (with dual British/Argentinean passports). We are trying to conceive and I would be the birth mother. Would Argentina recognise my partner as legal parent, as she is on the birth certificate but not the mother?

I appreciate you will have no idea about Argentina specifically, but I assume that there might be some common legal precedent - eg countries without their own gay marriage/CP laws don't recognise CPs, but those with their own, similar laws do (obviously this is paraphrasing and may even be wrong, it's just my impression!)

The reason for asking is that we were wondering whether our child would be entitled to an Argentinean passport - if we were straight/partner was the birth mother, the child would get a passport if he/she lived there for a certain amount of time.

Thanks

Motos

#125 ·
Hi Motos

Unfortunately there aren't any international treaties on these brand new parenthood laws, so we have just no idea at the moment the extent to which they'll be recognised in other countries.  It's a fantastic question for an Argentinian lawyer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.