* Author Topic: Donor Sperm and the wait to be matched?  (Read 16934 times)

0 Members

Offline bev84

• Registered-2
modify
Re: Donor Sperm and the wait to be matched?
« Reply #10 on: 9/05/13, 21:06 »
I am new to this site. We found out about two weeks ago my husband has azoospermia that can not be solved. We were given 3 options. 1 get on with our life, 2 adoption or 3 sperm donor. Although we have decided that the sperm donor route is the best im really worried about the waiting we could end up with. Its been just over 2 years since the hospital got involved and we only got this far! Isthere a bigger waiting list on nhs and is there a way i can find anything out about the area i live in? I feel totally alone as i have no one in the same sort of situation i can go to!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Mistletoe (Holly)

• Lifetime Premium-7
    modify
    « Reply #11 on: 9/05/13, 22:25 »
    See my reply on your other thread.

Offline sid123

• Sr. Member-10017
    modify
    « Reply #12 on: 9/05/13, 22:29 »
    Hi bev84,
    Just wanted to say hi and to let you know I'm here if you ever want a moan. We are going through the same situation but a bit further on. We found out in Oct 2011, had our first meeting to organise a donor match in October last year. After many tests. We got a call with our match first week in January. I've heard many have a match a lot sooner. Depending on the hospital and how many donors they have that match your dh.
    Good luck, try and keep positive. x

Offline Monkey008

• Registered-2
    modify
    Donor Sperm and the wait to be matched?
    « Reply #13 on: 20/09/13, 13:05 »
    Hi,

it looks like it has been a while since the last post, but thought I would tell of our experience.  After the years of fertility treatment and deciding to go  down the donor route, we were matched with 2 donors at our local clinic.  We were not convinced by the pen portraits, and my counselor offered to contact the national gamete society on our behalf and within 2 weeks were matched to a donor from the Brighton Fertility Association. 

it took another couple of weeks to get the samples transferred to our local fertility center.

Offline HUNGARY

• Registered-2
    modify
    « Reply #14 on: 5/02/15, 22:05 »
    Hi all,

It seems a lifetime since I started this thread, but for those who are in the middle or just starting their journey, I thought it would be nice to share our experience 5 years down the line.

In the end, despite so years delay due to my bodies complications, the wait for donor sperm was only a couple of weeks at our clinic but there wasn't a lot of choice. We allowed the clinical chose the best match from their panel of donors at the time.

Luckily for us, our treatment worked first time an we are now proud parents to twins who are about to embark on their next adventure, school!

I can honestly say that whilst we would not have wished our journey on our worst enemy, my husband could not adore our children any more then he does. They may not look like him physically but actually, they don't look particularly like me either. However, both children have taken behaviours and traits fom him from their day to day existence and only a fool would question the bond they have developed. No one has ever questioned their paternity and if they did, we would be proud to divulge their history, but only once we have been able to tell them.

In the beginning, it wasn't easy to accept the diagnosis but in all honesty, we have now come to terms with it and actually we wouldn't swap our journey for the world. It had made us stronger and for the children, they couldnt be more wanted and have two devoted parents who treasure every moment, good and bad.

For everyone who in this position, never give up hope because sometimes, dreams really do come true.

Xx

Offline carrie lou

• Moderator-4
    • Thankful to our donor for the most wonderful gifts
    modify
    « Reply #15 on: 18/02/15, 11:17 »
    Hungary, it's so lovely to read your experience. I have two little munchkins from donor sperm, ages 3.5 and nearly 6 months, and I can echo everything you're saying. It's six years this month since we got the diagnosis of azoospermia, and nearly 5 years since choosing our donor. We have been so blessed and lucky and wouldn't change anything for the world, because we wouldn't have our two gorgeous children. Every day I send a prayer of thanks (even though am not religious) to our donor for giving us the most amazing gifts in the world.

It is a tough journey but it is so, so worth it. Hang in there and keep going everyone ^hugme^ ^hugme^ ^hugme^

Offline Judgeyrself

• Registered-2
    modify
    « Reply #16 on: 20/02/15, 22:15 »
    The wait is terrible here. We were told 3-4 years for donor sperm. Having to save up at least 2,000 to buy our own from the European Sperm Bank.

Offline BillyCC

• Full Member-10016
    modify
    « Reply #17 on: 27/02/17, 16:10 »
    Hi everyone

I know been a while since anyone posted but wondered if anyone has any info regarding what happens at the councilling session you have to have before you go ahead with Donor Sperm

Thanks

Billy