* Author Topic: High FSH levels & Natural pregnancy  (Read 32680 times)

0 Members

Offline Little Me

• Gold Member
  • GreyD doggy :-)
modify
High FSH levels & Natural pregnancy
« on: 2/09/08, 22:03 »
Hi all,

Just found out that I have high FSH of 21.8. As I am still waiting to see consultant to discuss this result I have been doing lots of reading etc and have been quite worried as you can imagine.

I'm 40 and wondered if there was anyone out there that conceived naturaly with high FSH? Or if they could explain anything else to me in their experience before I see consultant?

Thanks!
Anne

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Ocelot Cub

• Gold Member
    • We will get there!
    modify
    Re: High FSH levels & Natural pregnancy
    « Reply #1 on: 5/09/08, 15:22 »
    Hi I just noticed your post. My understanding is that as long as your tubes etc are okay that it is possible. The chances may be reduced due to ovualtion being a bit up and down but the chance is still there. And although it is more difficult ladies with higher fsh levels have concieved naturally. Another lady on here concieved twins on first IVF at 38 years old with fsh of 22 - she is now VERY pregnant. Consultants will generally look grave and say it wont happen but it really can. Where are you based? If IVF is the way forward you will need a high fsh friendly consultant. I can recommend the Lister in London very highly.

All the best

Ally x

Offline Little Me

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 5/09/08, 16:43 »
    Hi Ally

Thanks for your reply.
    I am in Birmingham unfortunately.

I have my HSG test on Tuesday testing tubes etc so will see from there

Speak soon
    Anne

Offline sleepyllama

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 25/09/08, 12:17 »
    Hi Binky

A diagnosis of high FSH is not the end of the road at all.I posted here last Autumn after having got pregnant with FSH levels of 19 and 29 , measured in June and July 2006.Unfortunately that pregnancy turned out to be ectopic (which I think was just bad luck).
    I was advised by a consultant at St Mary's in Manchester at the time of my FSH tests that I would not be eligible for IVF and no clinic would treat me.She said I would probably be in menopause in a couple of years (ie Summer 2008) although she did say it wasn't impossible for me to get pregnant..However I did still have periods , albeit not always very regular, and I didn't always ovulate so I decided to opt for acupuncture,took Wheatgrass tablets and Agnus Castus and tried to stop stressing about getting pregnant.
    I am now pregnant again and am hoping for the best this time as I have had no pain or bleeding this time and good strong results on my HPTs.I am only around 5-6 weeks gone so it's early days but I hope this message gives people hope.If anyone wants to know the name of my acupuncturist in Manchester then let me know - he has been fantastic (and has a colleague from the British Acupuncture Council who works in Moseley for the lady in Birmingham).

By the way...I turned 40 in August and conceived 2 weeks after my birthday...Life does seem to begin now after all!

Offline Little Me

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 25/09/08, 12:44 »
    Sleepyllama,
    Lots and lots of luck and congrats to you first of all!
    Sorrry to hear that you had rough time last year

Did you get PG naturally?

I have had 3 acu sessions so far and am having another day 3 FSH soon (when I get AF!)
    I did get a really good ovulation result so seems like both tests contradicted themselves!

So, I will know more when I get day 3 done again and will let yuou know- then poss will go the IVF route (if result ok)

take care of yourself and baby!
    x

Offline Ocelot Cub

• Gold Member
    • We will get there!
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 25/09/08, 12:53 »
    This is fantastic news - congratulations!!! Have a fantastic pregnancy x

This is also extremely inspiring, I obviously have much higher fsh but hope still to be in with a shot!!

I too have been told I have premature menopause and am hoping that I may be able to hold it off as long as possible. I am on CD40 and panicking that my AF won't ever come back!!  :( Having said that I should be used to it being very irregular as it stopped for 4 months from Dec - April.

Did you have any idea what your AMH was?

I think avoiding drs and hospitals may be the way forward as I find that it keeps you in a state of being a 'patient' which implies being sick in some way!! Best just to get on and do it!!

Well done again and all the best for the next 8 months x

Offline sleepyllama

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 25/09/08, 13:29 »
    Hi Ally

Thank you too! Seems strange being congratulated as we've told noone yet - waiting for an early scan on Monday to make sure everything's ok so far!!

No idea about AMH - I couldn't face the idea of any more bad news and didn't want anyone else telling me how bad things were! When I got my dx 2 years ago I don't think it was much thought about either and not distinguished from the FSH test.It certainly wasn't mentioned by my consultant. I have had maybe 1 or 2 long cycles a year though ( including a 71 day monster cycle end of March - May this year) and then maybe 3 or 4 normal ones (26 days usually) and a short anovulatory one here and there.Having chatted to friends who aren't trying to conceive and aren't on the Pill this seems pretty common though for women in their late 30's - 40's ....so,yes! you're not ill.

I have no idea what my FSH level is at the moment either as I didn't want the test done again so it may be sky high for all I know? You're younger than me and that counts for a lot so there is hope.I do think that most consultants feel that IVF is not really an option for us though so we have to do anything we can do to improve our chances of a natural pregnancy.

Wishing you well too Ally x

Offline Little Me

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #7 on: 25/09/08, 13:45 »
    Hi Sleepyllama and Ally,

I think being positive is a medicine in itself don't you?
    I am desperately trying to reduce my stress levels and keep positive- it can't be good for you , all that stress!!

Sleepy, did you have any treatment/ivf or is it naural pregnancy?
    Ally- keep your chin up and me and you will try and keep positive for each other eh!!!!

Anne

Offline sleepyllama

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #8 on: 25/09/08, 13:55 »
    Binky...my pregnancy is natural as I was advised by the consultant that no clinic would treat me .I'm not sure whether this is because there is a lower chance of success and this will make their stats look bad?

For the past 2 years,I have been taking my body temperature and charting it every day , using cheap internet ovulation strips and really going for it for 3 days when I do actually ovulate.Getting to know your body (spotting fertile cervical mucus etc ) is important and helps you to feel more in control and less stressed somehow.
    I hope you consultant is more positive with you than mine was but please remember , there are definitely many women our age who get pregnant within a few months or even by accident and never have this FSH test done . I would bet that many of them have levels as high or higher than us .I should add that I have a 5 year old, conceived by accident (forgot to take my pill when on holiday!) , and that my FSH levels at 34 were probably quite high at that point.

Please try to not to worry though I know this is hard to do! I know exactly how you are feeling and my heart goes out to you.Please let us know how you get on?

Offline Little Me

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #9 on: 25/09/08, 14:28 »
    I will let you know my dear!
    Anne

ps, I might get some ovulation strips?
    do you just wee on em?