* Author Topic: Book suggestions!  (Read 34306 times)

0 Members

Offline lucky2010

• Gold Member
modify
Book suggestions!
« on: 26/10/08, 21:01 »
Hi Guys,

Some help required please... Our childminder has asked us to help her find a book that has same sex parents in the stories for the kids she looks after. She said that as Alex becomes more aware she wants to have some books around for them to read. I looked into this whilst pregnant but it seemed to fall by the wayside and now I have lost my list.

Thanks in advance,

Rach x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline snagglepat

• Gold Member
    modify
    Re: book suggestion please!!!
    « Reply #1 on: 26/10/08, 21:13 »
    Our favourite is 'The Duke Who Outlawed Jelly Beans and Other Stories' by Johnny Valentine. It's a bit old for Ember yet but it's great as in each story the kids go off and have adventures, then come home to their two mums/two dads/single mum etc and it happens without comment - very normalising! :) I believe he did another in the same vein but we don't have that one.

We also have 'Heather has two mommies' which is also fine but the main storyline is about her having two mums rather than it being incidental.

Those are the only ones we own ourselves but if you look up either on amazon they'll come up with plenty that are similar.

Good on your childminder!

Best wishes,

G. x

Offline leoaimee

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 27/10/08, 14:28 »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/If-I-Had-100-Mummies/dp/0906500915/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

a friend from my cycle buddies group has this in the nursery/childcentre where she works.  she said its very good.

/links

Offline mintyfaglady

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 27/10/08, 15:54 »
    Space Girl Pukes by Katy Watson. This Amazon link also has lots of other 2 mums/2 dads titles too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spacegirl-Pukes-Katy-Watson/dp/0906500877

Ooh - I want to go shopping now!!

/links

Offline leoaimee

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 27/10/08, 16:10 »
    me too minty!!!

i saw one of the MOG books in morrisons the other day and wanted to buy it.  did you read Mog books when you were little?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mog-Forgetful-Cat-Judith-Kerr/dp/000717134X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225123796&sr=8-2

/links

Offline lucky2010

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 27/10/08, 20:53 »
    thanks guys. I have bought a few and put a few in my shopping basket for when he's a bit older. Really appreciate your prompt replies!

Rach x

Offline Mable

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 27/10/08, 21:45 »
    Have to say I find LGBT inclusive books very disappointing.

The best I've found is this Australian series - the stories are pretty rubbish, still. https://id304.securedata.net/twolives.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?products_id=48

I got them from this two lives publishing place in the US when they were shipping to the UK. I also got a baby book from them.

Perhaps we should write our own...

Could this thread be made sticky so that we can add to it and refer to it if we discover more books? (Who knows how to do that?) It's so important our families are reflected in books. Am fed up with stumbling across another daddy and quickly changing it to grandad. Monty must think there are lots of mummies who live with grandads.    done  :)

/links

Offline leoaimee

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #7 on: 28/10/08, 08:26 »
    yes it would be great to write some childrens stories with two mummies or one mummy or two daddies or one daddy. 

i wish i was more creative!

Offline Damelottie

• FF Missus Sparkly Motivator!
    • VIP Member Sponsor
    • Single mummy to my precious 6 yr old son
    modify
    « Reply #8 on: 28/10/08, 09:59 »
    This is a brilliant thread xxx

Offline leoaimee

• Gold Member
    modify
    Re: Book suggestion please!!!
    « Reply #9 on: 28/10/08, 10:54 »
    mable - have been looking at the link you sent.  looks like some great books there.  and especially like the bilingual ones as our speck will be bilingual ... because gaby is and we live in spain.