* Author Topic: Sperm/Eggs/Embryo transferring abroad  (Read 26878 times)

0 Members

Offline Alley

modify
Sperm/Eggs/Embryo transferring abroad
« on: 21/01/09, 21:47 »
Hi

Has anyone successfully managed to transport frozen samples to another counrty? I would like to do a donor cycle overseas and my husband has two samples (and zero count nowadays) so the only chance we have is to send the sperm to a clinic.

We've tried one of the main carriers, but they stipulate they only deal with companies and cannot transport samples for "private use"... ^bigbad^  useless!

Any advice

Alley x

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline ElleJay

• Gold Member
    modify
    Re: Has anyone transported frozen sperm abroad?
    « Reply #1 on: 21/01/09, 23:01 »
    Hi Alley - I transported swimmers abroad four years ago, but the law has changed since then, and you now need an HFEA licence to do it.

If you are trying to get it to a country where they have anonymous donors, the HFEA will not let it go as it would be for a treatment that would now be illegal in the UK as we don't do anonymity any more.  They also need to comply with the EU Tissue Directive, which says (amongst other things) that donors should only be altruistic and not financially compensated, and I don't think that many comply with this.

So it's not particularly good news on the donor front - but if you were wanting to have IVF with your own eggs at a clinic abroad, that would be another matter (because it was cheaper than in the UK for example), and the HFEA should grant the licence for the sperm to be shipped, but I don't think they are particularly speedy with their paperwork. 

Really good luck with this!

LesleyJ xxx

Offline Ruth

• Gold Member
    • My boys!
    modify
    « Reply #2 on: 22/01/09, 13:49 »
    Have you tried these people??

KYNISICOURIER SYSTEMS LIMITED
    Worldwide Express / Cryo + Clinical Focus
    3 Flag House - Brunswick Court - London SE1 3LH
    England - United Kingdom
    T: + 44 (0) 20 7357 0001 F: + 44 (0) 20 7357 0003 M: + 44 (0)7956 238 260

Ruth

Offline Tinkelbunny

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 22/01/09, 13:52 »
    Yes you can transport sperm abroad and even to a country that has anonymous donors.

call this number and ask the courrier company: KYNISICOURIER SYSTEMS LIMITED
    Worldwide Express / Cryo + Clinical Focus

3 Flag House - Brunswick Court - London SE1 3LH England - United Kingdom
    T: + 44 (0) 20 7357 0001 F: + 44 (0) 20 7357 0003 M: + 44 (0)7956 238 260

Offline ElleJay

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #4 on: 22/01/09, 14:22 »
    Hi Alley - Kynsicourier were actually the people the Bridge Centre used to transport mh DH's swimmers four years ago.

Here is a link to the HFEA page that I hope is helpful too.

http://www.hfea.gov.uk/en/1440.html#1

I know that your DH has MF, but if there is any chance of a swimmer lurking, several clinics abroad are able to do PESA and TESA surgical sperm aspiration - we discovered it was cheaper to do this at our clinic in Crete than it had been to ship his frozen sperm from the UK....

Again - really good luck with this!

Lesleyj

This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.uk or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Offline Sasha B

• Gold Member
    • Today is a new day...
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 22/01/09, 22:54 »
    Dear Alley,

Just to clarify, you can transport sperm abroad to a country that allows DE cycles but by law you MUST be using your own eggs for treatment and the clinic will need to write a letter to the HFEA stating this. Under no circumstances will the HFEA allow you to ship sperm abroad for use in donor cycles. They will also not allow shipment to clinics who do not have the new licence to say that they are complying with the EU Tissue Directive. Sorry I can't give you more positive news. I went through 6 months of hell with the HFEA trying to get my Dh's sperm shipped abroad a year ago when the EU Tissue Directive had just come in to force.

It is a long drawn out process, but I do wish you all the best.

Sasha xxx

Offline Tinkelbunny

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 23/01/09, 10:05 »
    there has been some changes in the law from a year ago, i would ask your clinic.

Offline Ronniecat

modify
    « Reply #7 on: 19/04/10, 14:44 »
    Does anyone know if you can transport sperm abroad (for another IVF cycle) from an SSR done in the UK?

Offline Ruth

• Gold Member
    • My boys!
    modify
    Re: Transporting Sperm from SSR
    « Reply #8 on: 23/04/10, 11:40 »
    Yes as long as the clinic you are taking the sperm to meet the EU requirements for gametes.

Your UK clinic will be able to advise on these.

Best Wishes,

Ruth

Offline bangles

• Gold Member
    • Bangles 46
    modify
    « Reply #9 on: 13/05/10, 14:50 »
    Just out of interest, I wondered whether anyone had posted a sperm sample from the UK to a clinic abroad to save their dh/dp having to travel.   My dh and I would find it very difficult to leave the country at the same time for family reasons - am currently going to try donor embryos, but if we did go donor eggs again, I wonder if there is any reason why we couldn't post the sperm, but would a UK clinic freeze and pack it for us?