* Author Topic: Blood Group possibilities for a baby from Mother's and Father's blood groups  (Read 13030 times)

0 Members

Offline bundles

• Volunteer
  • Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so ! D.Adams
Solomum if you read the start of my thread again you will see that it is in response to the many questions I get asked about potential blood groups of children from their own parental groups.

Whilst DNA testing would obviously show a mis-match of 'genetic' parents where a donor or donors were used, I would seriously question whether any parent, who was trying to keep things a secret, would allow themselves to be tested ! And for a mis-match to be demonstrated this is exactly what would need to happen. I also doubt that, as you say, "DNA testing will soon be as common as blood testing once was" since blood testing is usually mainly done on the NHS to facilitate blood transfusion or other relevant reasons, it is hardly going to fade away. In my experience, most people are unaware of their own blood groups, let alone their parents, and I have even had to explain to a fertility nurse about heterozygous blood groups producing 'genetically impossible' off-spring.
In my opinion, DNA testing is generally carried out by older people who have an interest in genealogy or their place within the world's population. Younger people may be interested in their health & genetic risk factors but, again, this has little relation to their parents if they are not tested. Plus, there is always the change of spontaneous mutation in genetics to cause disease etc.
Having researched DNA testing previously, it isn't the easiest to understand. I would question how many people would seriously consider it if they weren't going to understand the answers.

I will also point out that this thread is to purely discuss blood groups and any further posts by anyone, that could be 'misconstrued' as 'pro-telling badgering' will be removed.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Shoegirl10

• Volunteer
    Hi this is brilliant thanks so much

I am RH 0 negative and my husband is Rh A positive

x

Offline rooneyb

Blood groups are very important in some countries. I live in the Middle East and we have our blood group on our residency visas and it is recorded on any official work and often asked. I would say nearly everyone here would know their blood type.  In some Asian countries, people know their blood type like they know their star signs!
    I have two DE children and one is clearly conceived thru donor conception because of the blood group mismatching (donor was changed at the last minute).  We used information like this to help us understand the their would be an over 70% chance that the child would have a blood group that didn't correlate to either my DH or myself. As  DE is illegal here, prior to my child's birth, we had to pick an understanding open minded doctor who would be present at the birth to get a birth certificate.
     I just wanted to explain it may not be just about telling / not telling that this information is useful for.

Offline TiggerBounces

Hi, I'm a bit confused, anyone help, I am O negative and my partner is A positive, we have been told this gives the broadest possibilities of all for a child's blood type... We are considering DE, I would like the donor to also produce the same possibilities.... How do I work it out....Orginally we were told should only have a O negative donor but then another clinic said any donor blood type fits the bill....Anyone help? Ive tried looking at the chart but am a bit tired at the moment and my brain isnt working  :-\

Offline CrazyHorse

• Gold Member
    Hi, Tigger, using your own gametes, you and your partner could have children with A+, A-, O+, or O- blood types. The O blood types would only be possible if your partner is heterozygous for that trait (i.e., one gene for type A and one gene for type O), and the Rh-negative blood types would also only be possible if your partner is heterozygous for that trait (i.e., one gene for Rh-positive and one gene for Rh-negative). Of course, your doctors will have no idea if your partner is heterozygous or not. You could not have children with type B or AB blood using your and your partners gametes. A donor with type A or type O blood, either positive or negative, will give you a plausible blood type match.

You may want to consider having an Rh-negative donor so that you won't need anti-D treatment during pregnancy; but, if you are not telling your doctors and midwives about DE, they will want to give you anti-D injections anyway unless you tell them you know for certain your partner is also Rh-negative. As far as I know there's no risk to you from the anti-D injections, but they're intramuscular so not the most pleasant.

Offline TiggerBounces

Thanks a lot CrazyHorse! thats brilliant!  :)

Offline Fox Gloves

• Mum to 2 gorgeous little people
    Does anyone know if it matters if you don't know your OHs blood type? In the UK most people don't routinely know their blood type and you cant be tested for it so we have no way of knowing what my husbands blood type is.

I am A Rh positive. Do I only accept an A rh + donor since I have no way of knowing what my husbands blood type is or are there other types I could accept not knowing his?

I want the blood type to match since I don't plan on telling the child and whilst I am aware this isn't a fool proof way of no one finding out, everything we can do to get a close match will help.

Thanks

Offline bundles

• Volunteer
    • Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so ! D.Adams
    Hi hun  :)
    You can buy blood group testing kits on Amazon quite cheaply. I thought most clinics wanted to know partners blood groups but I could be wrong. If you don't want to test then you would be ok accepting an A+ve or A-ve donor.
    Xx

Offline Fox Gloves

• Mum to 2 gorgeous little people
    And this is why this forum is so amazing...... * potters off to amazon to buy blood testing kit* thank you so much bundles!!

Offline Blondie71

• Gold Member
    Gosh I just realised I don't know my SD's blood type never thought to ask so don't know what my sons are  :-[ I'm O pos and I'm sure the boys blood type must be somewhere in their neo-natal notes as they took enough blood from them! Thanks for the info Bundles it's interesting stuff  :)