* Author Topic: LGBT Newbies Welcome Thread - post here to get started!  (Read 186665 times)

0 Members

Offline BobnBetty

• Un-Ranked
Thanks a lot Pem. Your little girl is so cute and her name is lovely! Bob and Betty are our dogs; we thought we would borrow the names! Look forward to chatting to everyone.

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Lumi

• Un-Ranked
     ^wave^ Hello  ^wave^

I feel a bit bad joining the forum now that we (gf is carrying) have a BFP but my gf has been looking for years - we began treatment back in 2004 at LWC starting with IUIs, then stimmed IUIs, then two egg share, then another IUI at another clinic (Exeter) and finally our own dedicated IVF (Exeter). What I like about this forum though as opposed to other places to go and get support, opinions etc is that everyone on here has been down the clinic route - and of course this forum has this section!
    So hello and thanks for being here!
    Lumi

Offline denni769

• Un-Ranked
    Hello to BobnBetty and Lumi and of course congratulations to you x

Greensong....Hoping 2010 brings you great things

And hello to Els1987

Laura and Mel x

Offline fallenangel101

• Un-Ranked
    hey guys, so my girlfriend and I have been discussing having a baby for some time now so I approached the subject with my doctor this morning, and I suppose it's part of her job, but she wasn't very encouraging, in fact, she was more into trying to encourage us to adopt!
    She did say that she can get us a referral to the IVF unit, but again said that there is only a 30% chance of success, and she also doesn't know if they have a certain number of allocations for same sex couples or if you are all in the same waiting list, she left me feeling very deflated although everything she told me I already knew!
    So I think we'll go for the referral and see what they say but more and more we're considering the Diers Klinik.
    But here's a question too, there's potentially someone who would be willing to donate his sperm to us, in this case how do things work, would we have to do this through our doctors/IVF unit, please help lol it's such a minefield!

Offline lesbo_mum

• Gold Member
    Hi Fallenangel,

Welcome to FF!!

I found my dr 's not too helpful also but the clinic have been much more helpful.

A couple of the girls on here have looked at diers klink... Misspie will know more and i think Bimbo may be using them  ???

as for your poss known donor you dont have to go down the IVF route if you dont want to / need to.... you can always do the good old DIY so long as he is all tested.

Also i should add 30% for IVF is rather low some clinics offer in the high 50's... So if IVF is for you def research some diff clinics and prices etc.

Em x

Offline denni769

• Un-Ranked

Hi Fallenangel

I wouldn't get to upset about your GP. I think it comes as a shock to them all when a same sex couple walk in and ask about fertility treatment. Our GP sat opened mouthed for 2 minutes before she gave us her very limited imput. Basically if you want to use a clinic then they pretty much all operate privately and all you need is a brief referal letter from your GP. We used a clininc quite a long way from us because of their success rates and ethical practices. If you find a clinic you want to use get the details of the doctor you need to be refered to and ask your GP to do it. You dont have to be refered to the nearest clinic to you.

Using a known donor can become quite tricky with the issue of parental rights and stuff. The advantage of anonymous donors and clinics is that your partner can be the legal parent of the child from the start. Obviously the home method is cheaper and proably less stressful on your body and mind. If parental responsibilities aren't your biggest issue then maybe its the route for you.

Once you figure out what is the right way for you then go for it. We were super lucky and it worked for us on the 1st round of IVF.

Its quite a journey

Take care Mel and Laura x

Offline Magic3s

• All good things come in threes! :)
    Hi Fallenangel101,

We looked at the Diers Klinik as well, but that is midwife run clinic and because they use ID release donors is much more expensive than the one we had IUI last week. Is the Copenhagen fertility centre and they use anonymous donors so we will never find out the identity and it only costs about £300, well altogether we have spent about £800-£900 with everything included but you would pay more than that in a UK private clinic and at least we had lots of fun and a great minibreak included in the price! :)

Wish you best of luck on your journey!

Bimbo

^fairydust^ ^fairydust^ ^fairydust^

Offline welshginge

• Gold Member
    I think the price very much depends on individual clinics. I'm at Leicester Fertility Centre & paying privitely. DIUI is £900 per cycle.

Bit of a trek for you though Bimbo. x

Offline Magic3s

• All good things come in threes! :)
    I suppose that there are cheaper places as well as more expensive ones. We paid about £1500 at LWC in London in 2008 and were lucky because they were raising prices just before we started treatment, but because we paid in advance we could still have the old prices…
    I find it unbelievable that they charge so much for the donor sperm. In Denmark the sperm is about £90/ cycle (although is not ID released which might be a problem for some of you)

Offline jellybean123

• Un-Ranked
    Hi all,

My partner and I have just started trying for our 1st baby. We are using a known donor and inseminating ourselves. We did it for the first time yesterday and today...very exciting!!

Hoping it won't take too long...but we are prepared for the long haul if it does. We've decided that each time we get a bfn we will go out and buy a wee something for the baby that we will eventually conceive!!