* Author Topic: Telling the child and other people, Chat/Support thread  (Read 186200 times)

0 Members

Offline Spaykay

• Gold Member
  • May everyone be as lucky as me!
modify
Re: Telling the child, Chat/Support thread
« Reply #120 on: 25/03/11, 09:27 »
Will do, thanks x think EG will begin to understand soon. Already patting my tummy bless. X

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline DZWSingleMumma

modify
    « Reply #121 on: 29/03/11, 15:36 »
    HI all,

I've been thinking about additional resources for when/if I have my child.  I am concerned as the DCN seems very UK biased and my donor is American.  I am also looking at the Donor Sibling Registry as that seems to have a massive following and success rate.  My child will be open ID donor concieved and will know it's father at 18 if it chooses to. 

I feel very strongly about the idea of half siblings and like the idea of both the DCN and DSR and allowing me to trace other women who have children by my donor.  (My donor himself already has a child).

Anyway would anyone be able to comment on which service gives better value etc?

Dawn

Offline olivia m

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #122 on: 29/03/11, 18:53 »
    Hi Dawn
    I obviously can't comment on value for money, but I can tell you that DCN and DSR have different aims and offer different services, so you might want to consider joining both.  The focus at DCN is on connecting families of all types with others in the same situation for mutual support and supporting parents in being open with their children.  You can see a full list of benefits of membership on our website.  We have just over 500 single women members and many of them have US identifiable (or sometimes anonymous) donors.  Many of these women belong to the DSR as well where the emphasis is simply on connecting donors/offspring/half-siblings.  We have a very good relationship with Wendy and Ryan Kramer, founders of the DSR - Wendy has stayed at our house on visits to the UK - and I'm sure she would not want people choosing between the two organisations.
    Do join us.
    Best wishes
    Olivia

Offline pippilongstockings

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #123 on: 12/04/11, 09:05 »
    Sorry just crashing to say CONGRATULATIONS KAY!!  I was so shocked when I saw your signature that I spat out my tea!  What fab news, bet that was a shock  ;D

Offline Spaykay

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #124 on: 12/04/11, 21:20 »
    Pippi -thanks. Luckily I wasn't drinking tea when I found out!

Offline carrie lou

• Volunteer
    • Thankful to our donor for the most wonderful gifts
    modify
    « Reply #125 on: 28/04/11, 15:43 »
    Hi,
    Hope you don't mind me joining you, we are expecting our first baby in 2 weeks' time. He was conceived using donor sperm from Xytex and we plan to tell him all about it. We already have the Telling and Talking booklet and also the My Story book from DCN. But I remember seeing someone mention making their own personalised book to tell their child about using a donor and I think this is a lovely idea - I would like to do the same and just wondered if anyone else had done this, and if so, how do you go about it? Any tips would be welcome :)

Offline drownedgirl

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #126 on: 28/04/11, 16:13 »
    Cl most photo companies like bonusprint sell hardback or ring bound books you could create with photos and captions

Offline Yxx

modify
    « Reply #127 on: 28/04/11, 18:36 »
    Like DG has said, we have made a photobook for our DD.  We have used words and photos to tell our story from embryo picture, to scan pictures and bump photos right through to her first birthday.

I think it will also help others understand if she chooses to share it with them.

Yxx

Offline Spaykay

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #128 on: 30/04/11, 17:45 »
    That sounds like a good idea! Drowned, sorry if this is too private to ask, but was your 1st DS donor concieved? If not, I'd be very interested in hearing how you share this with your other children to give me some tips for EG and baby to come. THanks...oops child fal˝len over, better turn her up the right way!

Kay xxx

Offline drownedgirl

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #129 on: 30/04/11, 19:20 »
    Kay no ds1 was naturally conceived

We discussed de with him very early on - as soon as I was pg
    He was 4 1/2 then and very interested in where babies come from - because he knew the rudiments of that he asked questions right away and sO it was either tell the truth or hide it somehow

I just said that he knew a baby cMe from mummy's egg ...

GDR iPhone is irritating me let me get laptop out