* Author Topic: Telling the child and other people, Chat/Support thread  (Read 186214 times)

0 Members

Offline daisyg

• Gold Member
modify
Re: Telling the child, Chat/Support thread
« Reply #150 on: 18/05/11, 09:05 »
Olivia,

I think this is a good idea.  Some time ago, Spaykay started a similar thread about telling other people, so maybe this could be one thread covering all aspects of tell or if not a merged thread then at least another separate sticky thread?

https://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=242720.0

Daisy
xx

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline pinkcat

• Chat Quiz Tournament Winner 2012 !
    • VIP Member Sponsor
    • The cat's pyjamas
    modify
    « Reply #151 on: 18/05/11, 09:15 »
    I think it would be good to merge threads. They are both very similar issues.

Offline carrie lou

• Volunteer
    • Thankful to our donor for the most wonderful gifts
    modify
    « Reply #152 on: 18/05/11, 10:08 »
    I agree a good idea. I also think it would be helpful to cover not just telling other people, but talking about the issue as well once they have been told. With my in-laws it's like a taboo subject that we dare not mention and I realize this is their way of dealing with it, but when our baby is older I don't want him to feel like he can't talk about it in front of them if he wants to.

Offline Spaykay

• Gold Member
    • May everyone be as lucky as me!
    modify
    « Reply #153 on: 18/05/11, 11:00 »
    Yes please, we are slowly telling others...it's actually quite exciting. I don't want it to feel like something to hide but also not public knowledge as it is EG's personal life. Most people are great and tend think nothing of it.

Kay xxx

Offline LV.

• FF's Queen of all things Green
    • VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #154 on: 18/05/11, 17:38 »
    I think that's a great idea, it's telling others that we are having most difficulty reconciling, telling the child seems like the easy bit!

xxx

Offline LV.

• FF's Queen of all things Green
    • VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #155 on: 19/05/11, 15:58 »
    Q for Olivia - I was wondering if there were any support groups or workshops for folks at the pregnancy stage. The workshops on the DCN site I can see are aimed at either those ttc, or those with children and we're inbetweenies. I'm keen to get hubby along to something as despite being pro telling the child he seems to be less than enthusiastic about telling other people now we're actually here and it's a reality. I've told my nearest and dearest but he's finding it harder and we've not told anyone on his side yet and he's now saying he's not sure about telling his parents as they are too old and wouldn't understand. I don't want there to be a big reveal at some point way down the line but I also don't want to be too pushy, he needs to feel comfortable himself and not feel forced. He got a lot out of the small support groups at the DCN meeting and I'm wondering if there's anything similar that might be suitable for us.

Any suggestions gratefully received!!

Thanks
    LV xx

Offline olivia m

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #156 on: 19/05/11, 22:29 »
    Hi Lady V
    You are right about our workshops.  We used to invite those who were pregnant to the Telling and Talking ones but experience showed that people benefitted more (it was all much more real) if they had been parents for at least a few months before attending. 
    I wonder where you live as a local group would probably be of support to your partner.  If you are in London we have groups covering almost every geographical section of the city, but outside of the capital they are a bit more spread out.  You would need to join the Network in order to attend (if you are not members already).  Why don't you pm me and I'd be happy to help.
    Olivia

Offline olivia m

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #157 on: 24/05/11, 08:17 »
    Hi Dizzi
    Seems there is some enthusiasm and no dissent for this slight change in title/focus of this thread.  Could you make the change for us please?
    Many thanks
    Olivia

Offline Mistletoe (Holly)

• VIP Member Sponsor
    modify
    « Reply #158 on: 24/05/11, 23:37 »
    I am the moderator for this board.

Offline Mistletoe (Holly)

• VIP Member Sponsor
    I have changed the post number 1 title and the new ones from now will have that title, but I cannot and I am afraid will not go through 14 pages of posts and change the title on every post.