* Author Topic: Why are the Spanish / Greek success rates so much higher then UK ??  (Read 8685 times)

0 Members

Offline bigJ

• Full Member-10016
  • my babies: Wooky, Nushi, Slim & Spot: rescue woofs
Hey Lorna - good stuff!!!
I was really  ^evil^ with my clinic (private) in the UK before we moved the Germany - they put us through IUI - and only after non-reponse (i empty follicle) did the light bulb come on about POF - they should have done that test much earlier, in which case we would have gone for IVF and maybe wouldn't be on the donor egg route... ^eyes^,  DE is illegal in Germany so we have to go abroad anyway.

Anyway I am so glad we are going to IM Barcelona

Love bigJ

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Plink

• Sr. Member-10017
    • ARGC second opinion (London) but then had to move
    Hello

On this subject -sorry if anyone's mentioned it ....but abroad they put back more embryos. eg in Greece. This will also apply to donor eggs.
    I think that although saome studies show that only one is needed I'm not convinced that only one is ok after a certain age group. What do others think?

This also applies to under-forties. I know of one woman directly who had 4 embryos put back at 35/6 years to get a positive -so it doesn't just apply to us oldies!

Plink x

Offline freda

• Jr. Member-10015
    I'm in 2ww having had treatment at IM Barcelona.  We had three embryos of reasonable quality and two that weren't performing.  They put the three healthy ones in, but we had none to freeze, which was disappointing as its puts us in the same situation as egg sharing.  The same situation happened in this country to me with egg sharing but Lister would only put in two so one went to waste.

Its highly unusual to use three at IM, but in this situation they were reluctant to freeze only one.

freda

Hello,
    Yes, just checked on the Instituto Marques website and here is a quote from it:

"Two or three days after the oocytes retrieval, the embryo transference is performed. Due to high probabilities of pregnancy we only transfer two embryos. Nevertheless 25% of the patients have twin pregnancy. During that day, resting at the hotel is advisable. The following day, the patient is ready to travel. 

Are pregnancy rates high?
    Yes. It is the most successful assisted reproduction technique per cycle as embryos have a high implantation rate. On the one hand because they come from oocytes of a young woman without infertility problems and, on the other hand, since the uterus is prepared at its best due to the sustitutory hormonal treatment.

How long does the patient stay in Barcelona?
    Two or three days approximately."

So, it's 2 embryos only, but hopefully very good ones !   Someone might like to check with one of the Geeek ones just to confirm if Greece doesn't have a limit.
    Love,
    Bluebell x

Offline jan32

• Registered-2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hi all I'm new to the site I'm from ireland Ive done 2 donor egg cycle in Crete both ended in chemical pg Ive now been tested for immune issue and they found out that is my problem so ill be getting lit and will be on heprain for this cycle i put in 4 embryos at a tI'me i love the clinic im in they are great  ,i can ring them any time of the day and they answer my querys it was also a lot cheaper

Offline CLARETTC

• Sr. Member-10017
    • my embies care manchester
    Hi Bluebell,

I've been told it's because egg donors in the UK are usually from an egg share programme. In other countries the donors give all their eggs to the recipient.

Women in egg share programmes in the UK are usually in their 30s, whereas donors in other countries tend to be much younger (I hear Spain get a lot of university girls aged in their 20s). As a general rule, the younger the donor, the better quality the eggs are likely to be - ie. less chromosomal abnormalities.

In the UK the owner of the eggs gets first choice of the eggs when they are divided up, so the recipient won't always get the 'best' looking eggs. In other countries, the donor is not on a 'shared egg' programme, so the recipient gets all the eggs, and the best ones are chosen for transfer into the recipient.

Hope this helps

Joy

Sorry but i disagree with this. I am about to embark on egg-share as a donor and i will not get any say in which eggs i get, good bad or indifferent. Tehy are shared equally. In fact i could end up worse off as if i produce an odd number the recipient gets this i.e if i produce 15 i get 7 recipient gets 8. They are divided equally as they come out not depending on quality.

Offline mancgal_644

• Gold Member-10018
    • Jay and I
    Hi just want to second what clare said we dont get any choice  with eggs and like she also said the other couple get the extra 1 if its an odd number

i cant comment on the age factor  but im only 24 i have proven fertility and ive heard off a lady who uses donor eggs  that there are a fair few younger girls that do it

Kerry xx

Offline thinkpositive

• Greece
    • Gold Member-10018
    • Change the way you look at the world.

Hi all,

I am from Greece and I did my first IVF in a state hospital in Athens.
    Here in Greece with the new law, the IVF treatment is free, we don't have to pay anything, maybe thats the reason of a lot of successes cause a lot of women can try easily lot of times not thinking the money..

Also, with the new law, in the ages under 40, 3 eggs can be transferred and after 40 years I think only 2..