Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

Anybody hear from Carlisle or getting treatment at centre at life, Newcastle

15K views 150 replies 5 participants last post by  Bella4 
#1 ·
Hi just wondered if someone could share there experience with me if the have been at the centre at life? how long you've been going, etc

#3 ·
Hi Poshandbecks

I'm from Carlisle too and currently waiting to be referred, however we have a choice between Newcastle and Gateshead. Did you get the choice on where to go? If so what helped you make your decision? We are struggling to decide which clinic would be best.

#4 ·
Hi, we got the choice too. Did you see doctor Hipple at Carlisle first? We chose Newcastle as she  told us their success rate was higher, they are realy good. we have bee going there for a year now. It's a centre especially for ivf, not a hospital or anything, we think we chose right.

#5 ·
I've just saw you've been referred for icsi, that what we've been referred for as DH as low sperm count. I thought we had been going ayear but DH says it was only in Feb we've been going since...feels like ages and travelling backwards and forwards to give sperm samples!!! got to do his final one in September to see if this batch can be frozen and used!  :-\ 
When do you tell them where you want to go, I wouldn't hand around too long if you're keen to get going as it's usually a 2 month waiting list for each appointment!  :mad:

#6 ·
Our last appt was beginning of July with Dr Hipple, but we couldn't get our next one until End of September. Dr Hipple has suggested Gateshead hospital to us, although the website is down at the moment so cant get any details. It seems to take forever between appts its just doing my head in. How long did it take between you telling them at Carlisle where you wanted to go and your first appt there, we were hoping to get things started this year but the time length between each appt seems to get longer each time. I first went to see GP in Feb, found out DH sperm count was very low in May, so it hasn't been a long time since this journey start, just feels it and i'm the most impatient person in the world.
Have they told you at Newcastle how long you will have to wait til the treatment starts?

#7 ·
Hi ladies, I'm a patient at CFL and I'm from Carlisle. They don't currently have a waiting list. I cannot praise them enough, they have been so supportive and have helped me through some very tough times. And CFL is easy to get to if you need to get trains over there for the scan appointments as it's right next to the train station. As I can't drive it made my life so much easier.

Join us on the CFL thread http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=262215.0

#8 ·
Bella 4, we've been going to Newcastle all this year, from about feb. It's 3 months between every appointmen (it takes 3 months to make fresh sperm, and they take a sample a few more times unfortunately if it is unexplained low sperm count). DH has one more sample to produce end of this month, then we will be told when treatment can start also if this batch is freezable, that las wasn't but he had soy in his system through protein shakes so the doctor thought this might of had an influence. Dr Hipple persuaded us against Gateshead...can't remember why now. Newcastle is good, and DippyHippyChick is right you can't praise them enough, also you can't get lost if you went on the train. I'm not sure you will get started this year depends how straightforward you infertility is? It was only 3 months until our 1st appointment at newcastle, maybe even less, from our last at Carlisle. I am exactly the same, inpatient. At Carlisle at first they were going to have to apply to the NHS to get a special permission to allow me to have IVF funding as I was 21 when I started, and you have to be 23 according to the guidlines...They didn't need to after all, I'm 24 soon. Sometimes I think they give you false hope, maybe I just expect it to start sooner than what is realistic. Let me know what you decide, sorry that took so long to reply, going to be on here more often I think.

#9 ·
Please excuse my spelling in that last message!  :-\
I've just noticed the date you posted your reply. Have you chosen where you want to go yet? What is your last appointment for in Sept, our last one with Dr Hipple was to say where we wanted to go. I'm sure you will get an appointment at where you decide before 2012 starts. Good luck!

#10 ·
Hi
We've still got 2 weeks to wait until our appointment, this one is to tell her which clinic we want to use, its been a long 10 week wait,and we still haven't made a decision. By the sounds of it there is a whole lot more waiting to do. Dr Hipple does make it sound as though things will be happening by the end of the year but not holding my breathe on that one. Only been told that DH sperm count is below 1 million so we'll probably have to wait for loads of tests to be done aswell. I'm not very good at waiting but trying to keep my mind occupied Hopefully you'll get a date to start your treatment soon and with any luck we'll be where you are now, this time next year. ^pray^

Good luck with your treatment, and let me know if you get a starting date, ill let you know which clinic we end up choosing but everyone is saying CFL is really friendly.

#11 ·
That was the same sperm count DH got back too. were there a week on thursday! have you tried supplement from holland and barrets? DH is on them now so when we go back theres one more test to do so lets hope for some improvement! yes let me know where you choose to go!  :)

#12 ·
Hi
We've asked to be referred to Gateshead hospital as that is the clinic which has the highest success rates for our age group. Hopefully wont take too long to get first appointment.
DH was on wellman tablets but is now on a multi vitamin and mineral tablet which hopefully will be making a difference but we wont find out until he gets further tests done.
We've been told that treatment should start within 16 weeks but i'm presuming that depends on what further test we'll need done. I'm not trying to put dates to things as i'll just get frustrated if nothing has happened.

How did you get on with your appointment?

#13 ·
Terrible!!!!  :'( There was no sperm at all today for the 2nd time! although there was sperm there before in the first few tests so we are now waiting for an appointment for him to have an operation which should be end of Feb. I start IVF middle of Jan as the operation opens up the testicles and tries to receive sperm without ejaculation. I have the IVF treatment 6 weeks before and egg collection on the same day as his operation so the sperm (if any is found) will be injected on that day using icsi. We can't understand why there is now none. He did a sample a few months back and that could of been frozen but there was nobody there on hand to freeze it so that was wasted or we could of used that! Can't understand why there is none now??? I'm so frustrated! We've just googled the worst things for sperm and number 2 after smoking was caffeine. He is a big coffee drinker and can have a couple of energy drinks a day before going to the gym so I'm hoping cutting that out will sort it out again! it's like a yoyo! Good luck at Gateshead, I hope it does start in 16 weeks this is mental torcher!!! We just want to get going this side of xmas but theres a wait for the op. Your DH has a low sperm count too doesn't he? I hope it's more straight forward than ours!

#14 ·
So sorry to hear your latest test results weren't what u were hoping for  ^hugme^ You must be so gutted,

I'm hoping to start by Jan so u never know might be same time although that is probs me being rather optimistic, but got to look on the positive side going through this procedure.  ^reiki^ Hope you get the appointment sooner rather than later at least when you get a date you'll know where your at and can focus on that.
Yeah my DH has a low sperm count and from what the doctor at Carlisle hospital says, I think we might have a similar problem to yourselves. As she told us that we should get started as soon as possible and that he needs to get his testosterone levels checked every year to keep an eye on things so that's made me worry even more about the length of time these thing take. We are hoping that by the time he needs to give a sample there will be an improvement as he has stopped drinking altogether he's been taking tablets everyday and we've joined a gym to get a bit fitter and so far we're sticking to it haven't needed to look for excuses yet.
Let me know when you get ur appointment and how you get on with things.

PM me if you ever want to chat.

Fingers crossed for both of us for 2012  ^pray^

#15 ·
Testosterone levels are being checked often for DH too. Got bloods taken yesterday for it. Watch when your DH is at the gym for sweating got to keep the testicles cool and stop when there hot! That would be great if we got going the same time, I'm 23 so none of my friends are thinking about children realy so don't know anybody who is doing this or have had problems yet. We're both in shock that if there is nothing there when they do the op that that could be it!! sperm count goes up and down anyway so i'm hoping it can go up again n that it hasn't been a steady decline!!!  ^pray^  You'll have pretty much the same tests to be repeated at Gateshead. AND i just read that The cumberland infirmary don't even have the technology to give accurate sperm readings. We got results that said less than 1 million and the results were in pecentages. Newcastle and Gateshead and others can tell you if theres just 1 sperm!! Cumberland Infirmary have a less advanced test to save money! Isn't that just typical of the Infirmary! skimping on every service. I'm not sure how to chat on here apart from this way. My laptop won't up load the chat page.
^bigbad^

Live in hope that you will start sooner rather than later, beleive me it gets you through one appointment to the next. I would of cried for a week if I had been told 3 years ago we would be here. Your journey is going quicker than ours has anyway!  :)

#16 ·
I know that feeling I always said to DH that I didn't want to start trying for kids cos I didn't ever want to be in this position but we just take each appointment as it comes. DH tests didn't change when he had them done at Carlisle but as you say the results are so only a percentage so could be in for some worse news when get to Gateshead when we get the actual results.
None of my really close friends have starting thinking about kids but it seems everyone in our families are having them. One of my sisters has a 2 year old boy and my other just just had a little girl which was a complete accident. (so unfair) but both are gorgeous and I love spending time with them. Also both of my sisters are younger than me which doesn't help as everyone keeps asking when we are going to get round to having kids. The day after we found out there was severe problems my sister in law to be announced she was pregnant and it kills me every time I see her bump growing, its hard keeping feelings to my self (our parents know but not siblings, couldn't cope with everyone knowing.)

Look forward to hearing u've got a date soon x

#17 ·
Well we've just had a letter through the post yesterday that says our next appointment is 9th November. So that was quick! So if there are no further complications with you and your partner like there was with us things should move quick. This is the appointment to sign all the paper work and give our consent for things.  :).
I know the feeling, fortunately I don't know anybody pregnant around me at the minute but 3 of my partners friends had babies in May/June....here come the chritenings!!! .....and the dreaded question so when are you too having children. I just say oh I'm only 23 got plenty of time. Nobody knows about us not being able to conceive except a couplke of friends, one who is also trying but struggling. Chin up, it will happen for us

#18 ·
So glad to hear you got ur date at least you'll feel like things are finally moving :) im still waiting on a copy of the letter thats going to QE to b sent, its only been 2 weeks but i hate waiting.

#19 ·
Finally,
We've received a copy of the letter thats gone to Gateshead so we are hoping that it won't be much longer before we heard something from Gateshead at least then it'll feel as though something is happening.

Not long now until your next appt, have you heard any futher news on the operation date?

Hope you are keeping as sane as possible.

^hugme^

#20 ·
Hi, once you receive that letter it isn't long before you are sent your appointment... any day now! I presume we will find out the op date on the 9th Nov as we haven't heard anything...I realy should ask more questions when i'm there, I only think of them when i've left.  :eek:

DH has just changed his lifestyle!...
I've put him on a few vitamins, I read on here what he should be taking. Vitamin C, Zinc Selenium and folic acid. You should try these. He was taking a wellman product and they have lots of other vitamins in them too, but a lady at Holland and Barret said the doses of each vitamin was low, so now he takes them all separately on a morning and the wellman tablet every 2nd night just until they run out, no point wasting them. Thats just enough. Slightly above the RDA, but its not too much that it cancels out others. Anythings worth a go to get some good sperm, also swapped cycling for jogging, he's training to do this Brampton to Carlisle run or vice-versa, Whatever way they're running???? Oh and no caffeine or sports drinks. lol. it's killing him having de-caff tea and coffee but it will be worth it!

Let me know when you get your appointment!! xx

#21 ·
Just thought i'd tell you I've booked accupuncture for DB on Monday! 38.00 at a place off fisher street, then 30.00 every other time he goes. Gotta be worth a go. A woman on here told me to give it a shot! It's meant to increase sperm!???  :)

#22 ·
Thanx for that,
DH has just about tried everything else although he might take some persuading to go for that, but I may have to try and twist his arm.  :p

I was trying to work out the other day how long we've been waiting to hear from QE and DH pointed out its only been a wk and I should stop being so impatient  ;D It has felt like an age, time seems to go soooo slowly when waiting on appointments.

Hope your surviving the wait.

#23 ·
Hi. Have you received your letter yet? we were at newcastle today to sign the consent forms and everything was explained today what will happen over how many weeks...sounds painful! Were waiting for an appointment for DB biopsy appointment which should be March and they give me a pln of what I get and when. We start 6 weeks before his op, then hopefully pregnant in March....a nice xmas baby...or babies, there wanting to put 2back in. We asked for one more sperm sample and thats on 20th of December. theres actualy been sperm 2 out of 4 times so hopefuly there will be this time. Hope you get going soon!! have you convinced him to have the acupunture DB just thinks its a placebo...oh and it was painless so theres nothing for you DH to worry about. Anythings worth a go.

#24 ·
Hi, we haven't heard anything yet, im beginning to think its got lost in the post, I feel like ringing them up and asking whats happening but DH keeps trying to reassure me that it'll be sent as soon as they have sorted a date.
DH is willing to try the acupuncture but we are going to wait until have a date from the hospital, he say I should go for it as well to keep me calm, not sure it'll work but as you say anything worth a shot.
i was hoping to be started by March but if it takes over 6 weeks to send letter then who knows how long it'll be to start tx.

Fingers crossed for the next sperm sample and ill let you know if we ever get this letter.

Good luck x

#25 ·
Hi

Got sick of waiting today so decided to phone QE and see how long it would be until we had our first appointment.
It turns out they never received the referral letter from Carlisle hospital  :mad:
The nurse on the phone was really apologetic about the situation and asked if I could fax over a copy of my letter, she said she would call me back as soon as the fax was received. After a couple of hours I got impatient again (i'm sure you can see a pattern emerging  ;D I don't do waiting) and phoned the hospital to make sure they had the fax.
After what seemed like an age, she came back on the phone to let me know she had the fax and due to the mix up we could have the first available appt which is 1st Dec.
So now although I'm excited about the next stage and really confused as to why they haven't received the referral sooner, my DH kept telling me the letter will arrive when they were ready. Can't believe i've left it so long.
The nurse mentioned something about a 2 hr appt and consent forms while she was on the phone but it was slightly rushed as said all the information would be sent as soon as possible.

was your appt 2 hours when you signed the consent forms?

I dont think i've felt so many emotions all at once. sorry for the long rant!

Here to the new year  ^pray^ ^pray^

#26 ·
when I was at CFL the 1st appointment was around an hour long, going through all your previous history, explaining how they did things, signing forms etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.