* Author Topic: Registering the birth  (Read 3416 times)

0 Members

Offline raraskirt

• Un-Ranked
modify
Registering the birth
« on: 22/08/11, 09:39 »
Just wondering what experiences people have had of registering the birth of their child as a lesbian couple. The internet seems to only provide information to heterosexual couples or single women which is slightly annoying. We know that we can both be on the birth certificate and have parental responsibility and have spoken to the registrar who seems to be very clued up on same sex couples but did say they have never had a birth registration by a same sex couple.

Just wanted to know whether anyone has had problems or issues as we want the registration to go smoothly!!

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline BecsW

modify
    Re: Registering the birth
    « Reply #1 on: 22/08/11, 13:21 »
    We were the very first same sex couple to both go on the birth certificate in our County and the registrar was lovely, she was as excited as we were  :) . We phoned them up to arrange our appointment and told them that we were civil partners. They told us that all we needed to bring along was our certificate of civil partnership. We took along the copnsent forms we had signed at the clinic but she told us she didn't need to see them because we were civil partners (if you are not civil partners you will need this form). She also told us that all registrars have received training in relation to this so they should all be aware of what to do but that she was going to read through her notes again prior to our appointment to make absolutely sure she hadn't missed something.

It went really smoothly (and quickly too) and we loved every moment of it  :)
    Best of luck, if in doubt though I would speak to them again just to be sure it does all go smoothly for you  xx

Offline motos

modify
    « Reply #2 on: 22/08/11, 15:37 »
    raraskirt, I doubt it will be a problem. I doubt we were the first f/f couple to register a birth as we are in Glasgow, and the woman didn't mention anything - but there were no problems, no raised eyebrows or dificulties with the form. (though do remember to take your civil partnership certificate, or documentation from the clinic if you're not in a CP)
    The only thing to bear in mind is that there is space on the form for information about the "Mother" and another for information about "Father/Parent" and they do insist that the birth mother goes in the "Mother" space, which my partner was a bit upset about (I was the birth mother). I don't know what they would do if one had donated eggs to the other - the same, I suppose.

Offline raraskirt

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #3 on: 22/08/11, 22:54 »
    Thanks for the responses! It's good to hear the positive experiences  :).

When I spoke to the registrar she told me that there was no need to take our CP certificate. She said we would be asked if we were civil partners but that married couples were not asked to provide their marriage certificates as proof so neither would we, but that we were more than welcome to take it along if we wanted to lol. Could it be because she knew we had gone through our ceremony at the same registry office? I think we will probably just take it along to make sure  ;D.

Thanks again for the responses!

Offline BecsW

modify
    « Reply #4 on: 23/08/11, 08:34 »
    I forgot that, the registrar did say that we didn't need to bring it along as we had our CP there but that we could bring it if we wanted to. I don't think she looked at it now you come to mention it  ;)

Offline NatGamble

• Legal Team
    modify
    « Reply #5 on: 23/08/11, 22:36 »
    The only thing to bear in mind is that there is space on the form for information about the "Mother" and another for information about "Father/Parent" and they do insist that the birth mother goes in the "Mother" space, which my partner was a bit upset about (I was the birth mother). I don't know what they would do if one had donated eggs to the other - the same, I suppose.

Hi guys

Just to pick up and answer - the woman who gives birth is always the 'mother' (irrespective of whose eggs she conceived with) and the non-birth mum is always the 'parent' (even if she is in fact the bio mum).  In practice, and assuming both are named on the birth certificate, it doesn't actually make any difference - both have full and equal parental status.

Interestingly enough, gay dads who conceive through surrogacy ultimately end up with a birth certificate which names them as 'parent' and 'parent' rather than 'father' and 'parent'.  Just a quirk of the law I guess!

Natalie

Offline Hales :)

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #6 on: 24/08/11, 08:11 »
    On the upside - if you are listed as 'Parent', you are listed above the 'Mother' on the birth certificate, something I enjoyed very much when we had ours registered! :)