* Author Topic: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle  (Read 298083 times)

0 Members

Offline Shell15

• Gold Member
modify
Re: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle
« Reply #160 on: 2/09/12, 21:15 »
Hello Agate,

I had my first BFN in February at this time I had 5 eggs collected but only 3 were mature and only 1 fertilised.  I had a 3 day ET of an 11 cell embryo.  I was on the long protocol with 6 amps of Menopur.  Before my second cycle I was then told by my consultant to take DHEA for 3 months due to low AMH level of 5.8.  I had my second cycle last month and this  time I did long protcol again but was on 8 amps of Fostomin and I had 8 eggs 5 of which were mature and 3 fertilised.  I had a 3 day transfer of 2 embryos one being 8 cell and the other being 14 cell where these good embryos?

My DH has low sperm count of 2 million but his morphology was 8%.  At my recent follow up on asking why they do not implant the consultant just said that the embryos must not have been good enough and advised me if I was to have further IVF I had less then 10% chance of it working but if I were to use donor eggs I would have an 80% chance of becoming pregnant why?  Do you know why this would be?  I was so upset at the appointment I never asked everything I wanted to.   I have also been advised to increase DHEA and take again for 3 months.  He told me to take 200 mg this time as last time I was only on 50 mg.

I have a ds who was conceived naturally 6 years ago after 3 years of trying.

I would be grateful for your help.

Michelle

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline SoloBabyQuest

modify
    « Reply #161 on: 19/09/12, 14:52 »
    Hi Agate,

Hope you are well and hope you had a great holiday.

Thanks for this fantastic guide and for making out so much time to write this and the immune FAQ.

Could you please tell me your views about taking spirulina for those of us with immune issues, (I have high TH1:TH2), given the researches sited in the links below? I've posted brief conclusions below.

I've been taking a smoothie of heaped spoon of powdered organic spirulina, full fat organic milk, organic blueberries and strawberries *daily* for breakfast, for about a year and a half, for egg quality (poor responder), and antioxidants. I only found out about these research on Friday. I have stopped my daily spirulina until I get a definitive answer.

I note that Zita includes spirulina in Dr Beer's book as good immune food. However, the yahoo immunology thread have comments from people who say they've been advised not to take it because it boosts the immune system, including a doctor in the States that follows Dr Beer's protocol.

One of the relevant articles (below), “the researchers found that spirulina increased the tumour-killing ability of NK cells and the interferon significantly. This activity was increased 1–2 weeks after administration of spirulina and the activity continued for 12–24 weeks even after spirulina supplementation had been stopped. “

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdfplus/10.1089/107628001300303691

Another said that immunostimulatory herbal supplements such as spirulina “may exacerbate pre-existing autoimmune disease or precipitate autoimmune disease in persons genetically predisposed to such disorders. Increased production of TNF-alpha may play a role, although more research is needed to clarify the mechanisms of such phenomena.”

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15210464

Thank you very much for your assistance.

MB x

Offline BettyMax

modify
    « Reply #162 on: 21/09/12, 17:42 »
    Hi Agate

I just had my first cycle of ICSI which resulted in a missed miscarriage at the 7 week scan. This was the first time I had ever been pregnant.
    We have a follow up shortly and I am not sure what to ask as it is partly a success as I achieved pregnancy.
    I only got 4 eggs as had been on prostap for 2 months before and have endometriosis. But we got 100% fertilisation with ICSI, although my husband's morphology was described as below 1% (all other parameters excellent).

I guess my questions is - should we have any further tests or investigations before our last NHS go? How long should we wait?

Offline mrsknight

modify
    « Reply #163 on: 25/09/12, 15:13 »
    Hello, I have just had my first cycle of IVF and started spoting last Saturday one week after transfer then it stopped but today my perios has come full force really heavy and I am still two days away from testing, really don't understand it, I had cramos constantly from day after my transfer period like cramps they oly eased off today when I started bleeding.

I am 33 good health etc and the cycle went perfect up till then had an excellent blastocyst put back in but didn't reach implantation, I don't know what I should do? What is the relevance if I bled before test date, is the progesterone meant to completely stop the period? I have been taking one pessery every morning without fail.
    Does scaring effect implantation? I was told that I had a lot of scaring when they discovered my blocked tubes.

If it didn't implant I can see the same thing happening again next cycle which has even less chance as its frozen.

Any advice?

Offline kdb

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #164 on: 25/09/12, 21:20 »

Miraclebaby - certainly if you are +ve for anti-thyroid antibodies then spirulina (and kelp/iodine/wheatgrass/etc) should be avoided as they aggrevate the antibodies.  Perhaps you could look into other supplements that can help improve egg quality / stimms response - eg, DHEA, Royal Jelly, etc.  More ideas under 's' for 'supplements' in the FAQ.

MrsKnight - sorry to hear about your BFN.  Sounds to me as though you weren't on enough progesterone support.  Most clinics advise 2 x per day.  Did they test your progesterone levels 7dpEC?

Offline Surfergirl

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #165 on: 26/09/12, 03:44 »
    Hello ladies,

Just after any ideas really, if possible. Had a BFP following DE treatment but lost the pregnancy yesterday following a very heavy bleed which I'm sure will be confirmed when I have a scan in the morning. This is my third early loss. I seem to get pg ok but can't maintain past 6 weeks. Have a review with the consultant but have decided to get natural killer cells tested now as I'm not convinced this is just 'bad luck' anymore. The cycle went seemingly well. Embryos, lining etc...

Thanks xx

Offline mrsknight

modify
    « Reply #166 on: 26/09/12, 08:44 »
    morning kdb..... no they didnt check any levels, i had three blood tests while i was stimulating to check i wasnt over stimulating but that was it after EC I had nothing, and was only advised to use one pessery each morning. I have raised the progesterone issue with the nurses, but not really got any response,

i am meant to go to a appoinment with a nurse to go through failed cycle and organise the next, but i have asked to see a doctor instead as i think we need to investigate, i have heard the shape of the tubes can effect implantation, and scar tissue, i have a lot of scar tissue, but this has never been raised, i know barts dont have my medical records so never seen my scans and pictures from my laporoscopys, i dont want to go ahead with the next cycle until this is sorted, i feel like they just want to get the money and then after my 3rd nhs cycle they will investigate when i have to pay which is not acceptable.

sufergirl, i am so sorry about what happening its just awlful. xx

Offline SoloBabyQuest

modify
    « Reply #167 on: 28/09/12, 13:32 »
    Thanks Kdb for the reply. I hope you're bearing up, so sorry it didn't work. Big hugs.

I'm not positive for anti-thyroid antibodies. My problems are negative LAD and high TH1:TH2. I'm back on my spirulina because I feel great on it and to be honest, the high TH1:Th2 only occurred as a result of humira flare. Also, asked Dr Gorgy who didn't think it was a problem. Dr Braverman also seems to think green foods are OK and made the point that there will always be a research that says something about something...but he hasn't commented specifically on the two I quoted above.

Take care and thanks again for the reply. xx

Offline hopeful68

modify
    « Reply #168 on: 29/09/12, 11:49 »
    so i can go armed with facts, all the tests listed in the fantastic summary at the start of this thread, will a standard GP authorise them or do you have to go to a fert clinic. blood tests etc i imagine should be availalbe but i know my GP doesnt want to pay for any tests!! if i start asking for DHEA tests i am sure i will get stone walled but i wondered where i stand in demanding them of NHS - rather than paying privately (again!).

Offline HMB

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #169 on: 9/10/12, 14:38 »
    Agate, I just wanted to say, thanks again for writing this thread and specific advice you gave to me. My 2 embryos were perfect this time, no DVA fragmentation. They are grade 1. Dh took vit E 800-1000, vit C 1000. I added 2 x 250 resveratrol and also chinese herbs (vitality herbs, reisi and cordyceps). I did a progesterone test the day before ET and it came back as 15.7, so that is good (for now). Oh and my lining was great. It was 11mm before EC. Thanks again!