* Author Topic: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle  (Read 298081 times)

0 Members

Offline agate

• only answering v short pms.
  • Volunteer
modify
Re: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle
« Reply #180 on: 15/10/12, 20:45 »
unfortunately even a gorgeous looking embryo made with a 42 year old egg usually gives a lower chance of pg than a scruffy looking embryo from a 25 year old egg.   its really great that you respond so well and get good looking embryos because you still get to try with your oe if that is what you want, but realistic live birth odds at 42 are about 10% per cycle, so unfortunately, even when everything is perfect its still more likely to fail than to work if you look at your odds for each cycle individually... so quite probably there is nothing wrong... just that you have to bank on it taking quite a few cycles to expect a live birth?

It really sounds like you are doing everything right, so maybe you just keep going and hope to get there soon, or you switch to DE so you are likely to get there sooner?

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Jammy J

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #181 on: 15/10/12, 20:57 »
    Thx Agate for your fast response. Really appreciate it x

Offline FertileRoad

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #182 on: 21/10/12, 10:57 »
    My head is everywhere and nowhere as I had a first attempt failed ICSI.

Maybe you can shed some light or maybe my mind is in overdrive and looking for answers that are not there

nuffield clinic - October 11 AMH 1.26 - told a miracle baby
    GCRM clinic - December 11 AMH 6.7 - 10% chance

Flare protocol started on 30 August after I had the shorted period of my life 18 days my usual period is 28-33 days
    started on the pill for 7 days then 12 September Prostrap then On gonal-f for 10 days then ovetrile before and after EC/ET
    First scan 19 Sept nurse could not find my left ovary she hurt me so much that i was not called in for my next scan to give my insides a rest
    next scan then nurse found both ovaries - left 18,13,10 right 16,6-9 lining 9.1mm no gonal-f injection left I am to go straight to EC
    EC was painless - total sedation
    ET was dreadful the pain I was having on my left side was hellish the Dr had to be quick to ease my pain.

Throughout all the injections and tables and EC/ET I was has nausea and pains in my left and right sides. constant peeing
     I feel that starting on day 18 was wrong for me as that is not a true cycles and also I feel I should have been given another gonal-f injection to increase the 18 and 16 mm follicles. As when EC came there was only one follicle with a mature egg.

I got a  graded 4c4/4 - I feel they should have went to 8
    Reply from hospital is the response was poorer than we would have expected, considering your age and ovarian reserve 6.8. Only 2 good size follicles developed and the blood hormone profile was in keeping with eh response seen on the ultrasound.

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #183 on: 21/10/12, 19:43 »
    I guess things to think about might include:

why are your ovaries so inaccessible and is it so painful to scan you?   does it mean you have a lot of scarring and adhesions tethering and tugging your ovaries out of the way and making them overly tender even when they have only a few active follicles?   If so, it means either endometriosis or a history of previous pelvic infections.   firstly I'd rule out ongoing infection using the greek period blood tests (info in my serum file and faq).  Then I'd seriously consider a trip to athens to have a consult with serum and a really good look at your ovaries and uterus on scan (aquascan). penny is very gentle but persistent to get a good view.

sometimes the ovary position is very high if you are overweight?

If there are signs of scarring/adhesions then you'd need to discuss whether you want to ahead with surgery to remove the adhesions (by laproscopy) or whether you just want to deal with scarring in the uterus (by hysteroscopy).

A more gentle way to do a flare protocol is just to wait for your normal period (skipping a cycle that is unusually short) and then start stims and agonist (e.g., decapeptyl daily jabs) on about the same day.

However, depending how many antral follicles you have on day 1-2 of your period (when you are due to start your stim), if there are only, say 2 on either side, then you might be better to go without the stims and stick to a totally natural unstimulated IVF - after all, you took loads of meds and only got 1 egg, which you should have been able to get without spending any money on stims drugs.

I am biased because I REALLY like serum clinic in athens - after getting seriously hacked off at several uk clinics - but in your shoes, I'd do their period blood tests and at least do a free email consult... and plan for a real consult so someone with a lot of skill can try and work out whether your ovaries/uterus are basically jammed up by scarring or endo and can advise you on alternative protocols.

hope this helps

a x

Offline Shoegirl10

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #184 on: 21/10/12, 19:48 »
    Agate - silly question but I am not starting IVF with immunes until December - is it Ok to start taking aspirin (75mg) now to prep my body?

Thanks

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #185 on: 21/10/12, 19:59 »
    I can't think of any reason why not - so long as you always take it with food and it doesn't give you heartburn etc

Offline Shoegirl10

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #186 on: 21/10/12, 20:00 »
    Thanks!

Offline Bernie7

• Un-Ranked
    modify
    « Reply #187 on: 3/11/12, 17:53 »
    Hi All.  I hope you dont mind me joining your thread. 

I hadn't heard of immune issues until reading about it on FF and just wondered if I have that problem and would be grateful for any thoughts.  DH and I have been TTC for many years with limited success (1 x BFP M/C).  I then got breast cancer and had to have chemo and radiotherapy and then found out I was BRCA2 so had to have a double mastectomy and reconstruction.  We finally (5 years later) got the OK from my oncologist to go ahead although due to chemo by DE.  We were lucky enough to be on top of a list for DE and have had two ETs (one FET).  In the run up I was given buserelin then oestrogen patches, progynova and then cyclogest (twice daily). I was told that the lining was perfect measurement etc. No probs with meds at all.

Within 24 hours of ET on both occasions I had terrible migraines, dizziness and flu like symptoms which cleared after about 3 days.  At first I thought I had some allergy to the cyclogest but as the symptoms cleared and I was still on the cyclogest I now dont think it could be this.

The first was BFN but period was still 5 days late and the second BFN and still no period (8 days later) - I have double checked and am certain it is BFN.

When I think back I have never really caught colds or bugs. When I had chemo I had very few symptoms and I sailed through radiotherapy to such an extent that the oncologist/doctors/nurses kept saying I had a fantastic immune system !!! The only other thing I can think of is that the donor was CMV positive and I was CMV negative.

Does this sound like an immune issue or just a co incidence? I would be grateful for any thoughts.

Many thanks

Offline Faithope

• Gold Member
    • miracles happen more than once x
    modify
    « Reply #188 on: 3/11/12, 17:56 »
    Hiya Agate (you are amazing by the way  ^hugme^ )

Can I ask a question-I had ICSI in June 2011, I produced 4 mature eggs (I was 33 years old then, have PCO, have had 2 natural pregnancies, 1 miscarried) and all 4 went to blasts 4AB, 3BBx2 and 4CB. One was transfered  (4AB ) and I got BFN. Then in January we started FET, this time the 3BB's were transfered and we got BFP which resulted in MC. I then had MC Level 1 tests done-all came back fine. Then we had FET with our last blast 4CB, again another BFN.

My question is-where do I go with this now? DH and I have said we would do more than one ICSI because I am well aware that the first is the 'trial' cycle.

Is there anything I should be asking the clinic before we start again?

Many thanks in advance  :)

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #189 on: 3/11/12, 20:34 »

Within 24 hours of ET on both occasions I had terrible migraines, dizziness and flu like symptoms which cleared after about 3 days.  At first I thought I had some allergy to the cyclogest but as the symptoms cleared and I was still on the cyclogest I now dont think it could be this.

The first was BFN but period was still 5 days late and the second BFN and still no period (8 days later) - I have double checked and am certain it is BFN.

When I think back I have never really caught colds or bugs. When I had chemo I had very few symptoms and I sailed through radiotherapy to such an extent that the oncologist/doctors/nurses kept saying I had a fantastic immune system !!! The only other thing I can think of is that the donor was CMV positive and I was CMV negative.

were the embies day 3 or day 5?   the earliest you'd expect an immune reaction to implantation would be day 6ish - so a 24hr post ET onset fits but only if they were blasts transferred.  If you transferred day 3's then day 4 would seem a bit too early for this to be an immune reaction.

CMV status is a red herring.  they don't let a donor donate if she still shows IgM antibodies (and can therefore infect you).

Can I ask a question-I had ICSI in June 2011, I produced 4 mature eggs (I was 33 years old then, have PCO, have had 2 natural pregnancies, 1 miscarried) and all 4 went to blasts 4AB, 3BBx2 and 4CB. One was transfered  (4AB ) and I got BFN. Then in January we started FET, this time the 3BB's were transfered and we got BFP which resulted in MC. I then had MC Level 1 tests done-all came back fine. Then we had FET with our last blast 4CB, again another BFN.

My question is-where do I go with this now? DH and I have said we would do more than one ICSI because I am well aware that the first is the 'trial' cycle.

Is there anything I should be asking the clinic before we start again?

Many thanks in advance  :)

have you seen the checklists as the start of this thread?   that should hopefully help you with a list of things to check with your clinic?   If you have PCO and have had 3 miscarriages, then maybe your clinic would think about putting you on metformin starting a couple of months before you try again.   also, if you need icsi, remember that most uk clinics tend to pay very little attention to trying to get good quality sperm and sometimes its the sperm that is the problem all along.   try to persuade your partner to take something like vit C 100-500mg a day, vit E 400mg, omega 3 fish oil 1-3g per day plus a good men's multivit for at least 2 months before your next cycle.