* Author Topic: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle  (Read 295263 times)

0 Members

Offline rachel petch

• Gold Member
Agate a little bit of advice needed please.
I have had 2 fresh cycles
#1 ivf/icsi 12 eggs  8 fertilised 2x 3dt.    BFP.   6x frozen
Medicated miscarriage at 9w as on viability scan embryo had stopped developing, saw heartbeat at 7w
Fet. 4 survived thaw x2 put back  other 2 destroyed Bfn. Bleeding 3days before otd
#2 ivf as fertilisation good. 11eggs all fertilised. 2x5dt no frosties bfn bleeding 4 days before otd.
 So what I would like to know is, what would you advise re my next cycle, I'm thinking of trying intralipids as I think there maybe something wrong when it comes to implantation, but my BFP does contradict this! I'm so confused. The next cycle will be our last also. We can't afford all the immunes testing but we can afford the intralipids.......just!!
Just wondered what your thoughts are?..

FertilityFriends

• Advertisement

Offline Maybethistime

Sorry for the me post..

Have just had a call from my local hospital who are worried about my low ring hsg level. Is was 1377 on Monday and is now 1789' they want to scan me ASAP any suggestions or words of wisdom?

Offline agate

• only answering v short pms.
    • Volunteer
    Agate a little bit of advice needed please.
    I have had 2 fresh cycles
    #1 ivf/icsi 12 eggs  8 fertilised 2x 3dt.    BFP.   6x frozen
    Medicated miscarriage at 9w as on viability scan embryo had stopped developing, saw heartbeat at 7w
    Fet. 4 survived thaw x2 put back  other 2 destroyed Bfn. Bleeding 3days before otd
    #2 ivf as fertilisation good. 11eggs all fertilised. 2x5dt no frosties bfn bleeding 4 days before otd.
     So what I would like to know is, what would you advise re my next cycle, I'm thinking of trying intralipids as I think there maybe something wrong when it comes to implantation, but my BFP does contradict this! I'm so confused. The next cycle will be our last also. We can't afford all the immunes testing but we can afford the intralipids.......just!!
    Just wondered what your thoughts are?..

I'd prioritise the locus medicus chlamydia test - info in my immune faq - just because of your history of bleeding before OTD and your miscarriage.   I'd do that first before you decide what to do.

Sorry for the me post..

Have just had a call from my local hospital who are worried about my low ring hsg level. Is was 1377 on Monday and is now 1789' they want to scan me ASAP any suggestions or words of wisdom?

At this stage, your HCG should be going up a lot more - at least 66% every 2 days, so its possible that

- you had a twin pregnancy which has become a singleton and the rises will be slower but there will still be a viable pregnancy in your uterus when you have a scan - but it will be too early to see a heartbeat yet - so you will be hoping for the best and waiting for your 7 weeks heartbeat scan

- you have an ectopic pregnancy and your hospital will need to monitor you and make sure you are ok

- you have a chemical pregnancy/early loss - perhaps due to your fibroids?    If so, you might want to see about trying an ultra long down reg next time - or check whether the fibroids should be removed?

best of luck and I hope that it does turn out to be a just a twin pg that has become a single for you

A x

Offline Maybethistime

Thank you Agate. I also wondered if dehydration or low blood sugar can affect levels. I could not face even a glass of water in the morning before the test  had no breakfast or fact any dinner the night before?

Elaine

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    it shouldn't affect the test all that much, I'm afraid.

Offline *Suze*

• Gold Member
    • Very proud big sister to be!
    modify
    Re: Agate's guide to learning from your failed IVF cycle
    « Reply #35 on: 26/04/12, 18:56 »
    hi Agate
    could you tell me if there is any difference between dexamthazone and prednisolone?
    I've just had my 3rd cycle fail (since DD, who took 8 cycles to get!) im not sure if we'll cycle again however my DH keeps asking if there's anything we can change re the immune issues?
    I have a low APC resistance and raised NK activity so am on metformin, 20mg prednisolone, 40mg clexane and 2 intralipid infusions (one before tx and one during stims)
    any thoughts would be greatly recieved, many thanks in advance
    Suze xx

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #36 on: 26/04/12, 19:14 »
    see the corticosteroids section of my faq: they are both steroids, but some docs prefer one or the other - generally because dex is longer acting and gives (slightly) fewer side effects and MAY be a tiny bit more effective - but it crosses the placenta so if you use dex its safer for you to switch off it onto pred around ET/bfp... so to avoid the hassle of switching you, many docs prefer pred from the start.

there is always something new you can change to try and tip the odds

e.g., endometrial scratch
    interuterine hcg infusion

and/or pretreatment supplements e.g., cordyceps/reishi/coriolus (see Mycology in faq) and/or omega 3 fish oil.

best of luck

A x

Offline Surfergirl

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #37 on: 31/05/12, 07:03 »
    Hi Agate,

Just wanted to pick your brain, if that's ok? We have just had out 4th fresh DE cycle (NHS this time!). Am now getting concerned as I had two chemical pregnancies from same donor in Spain, but the rest BFN's. This last cycle was poor, we only got two eggs and one was poor quality so we ended up with one embryo. I had an intralipid drip two weeks prior to ET, my thyroid is under control, I was also on prednisolone, clexane, aspirin. My lining was 14.9mm and trilaminar. My DH has normal FISH and was normal/borderline on DNA fragmentation. He has a daughter conceived naturally in his previous marriage with no problems. I assume with DE, like any IVF that there is an element of luck.
    The hospital have said that it was a poor cycle but I am worried about the number of failures and whether we are wasting our time. I am otherwise fit and healthy, BMI of 21 etc.. It's just the success rates with DE seem so good.

Any advice would be gratefully received! x

Offline agate

• Volunteer
    modify
    « Reply #38 on: 31/05/12, 08:36 »
    hi surfergirl

i am very sorry to hear about your cycle.  the one thing that occurs to me would be to suspect the egg quality for this last DE.  getting only 2 eggs is pretty poor.

have you ruled out all the infections?  just thinking of your dh's borderline sperm dna frag.

a x

Offline Surfergirl

• Gold Member
    modify
    « Reply #39 on: 31/05/12, 08:52 »
    Hi Agate,

Thanks for your reply. DH's sperm fragmentation is being checked again. He doesn't smoke, hasn't drunk for over 3 months and takes wellman conception vits so we are hoping this has helped. No infections that we are aware of and we have both been tested to death!!

The embryologists were happy with DH's sperm, slightly low count but fertilisation was normal and they said there were plenty of healthy looking swimmers to choose from.

We will probably return to Spain for treatment. The Hospital here we have had the NHS cycle with have a bank of frozen eggs and have offered us a slot at the top of the waiting list but I suspect we will have a better chance with fresh eggs.

I have had a look at your thread and will compose some questions to take with me when I go to see the Consultant.

Thanks x